I'm in NYC, and I'm thinking of buying the Schecter Synyster Gates Custom S w/ Sustaniac. It's around $1100. Is it worth the money? Also, where in NYC should I buy it from? I play A7X, Megadeth, Dream Theater etc.
No it's not worth it IMO.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What else in this range would be similar sounding? I'm not going to be a buying another guitar for a very long time.. I really need to get the best. If not this, then what? An Ibanez? Or something else? Honestly if I'm paying big bucks for it, I really want it to look like it too. Anyone?
You in the USA?
You like USA made PRS guitars?
PRS CE22/24 are $900+ typically used

Fernandez Guitars have the sustainer in a lot of their stock models and are $500+
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Don't get an Ibanez. Before I get beheaded, here's the reason: Schecters and Ibanez's play extremely differently. Schecters have one of the widest necks in metal style guitars, something I quite enjoy, and Ibanez necks are much thinner. It all comes down to preference, and my 'hatred' of Ibanez also stems from my dislike for FR trems, and the modern metal gain sound, which Ibanez's pull off extremely well. tl;dr - IMO Schecter > Ibanez

That being said, the Synyster Gates model, which I was actually just talking about in another thread, has a really gawdy paint job, and its shape makes it hard to play in nearly any position. As well, I'm completely sure you could find a guitar that fits your taste much better than Syn's, and probably for a lower price.

tl;dr again - Play as many guitars as you can, try different kinds of Schecters and Ibby's and anything else until you find what you like best
Quote by ne14t
I like a man's cream on my face every morning before my tea.

My girlfriend and her mom see each other nude daily for some weird reason
Quote by Metalisnotmusic
Don't get an Ibanez. Before I get beheaded, here's the reason: Schecters and Ibanez's play extremely differently. Schecters have one of the widest necks in metal style guitars, something I quite enjoy, and Ibanez necks are much thinner. It all comes down to preference, and my 'hatred' of Ibanez also stems from my dislike for FR trems, and the modern metal gain sound, which Ibanez's pull off extremely well. tl;dr - IMO Schecter > Ibanez

That being said, the Synyster Gates model, which I was actually just talking about in another thread, has a really gawdy paint job, and its shape makes it hard to play in nearly any position. As well, I'm completely sure you could find a guitar that fits your taste much better than Syn's, and probably for a lower price.

tl;dr again - Play as many guitars as you can, try different kinds of Schecters and Ibby's and anything else until you find what you like best

There are a lot of good points here. Personally I think the guitar sounds great and plays very well! I also think that it is rather expensive (used has a low price tag though!)

I never found it uncomfortable to play sitting down. I dont think that Ibanez guitars are bad, but they DEFINITELY have a wide range of models sounds and "feel" to them.

I am a huge fan of Schecters Upper Mid range guitars, like $600 Plus new, I think they sound very good and are great guitars for the money, not to mention tons of options. I think you can find a better guitar for you at a better price, but if you love it you love it. I'd go used personally.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by shanu2
What else in this range would be similar sounding? I'm not going to be a buying another guitar for a very long time.. I really need to get the best. If not this, then what? An Ibanez? Or something else? Honestly if I'm paying big bucks for it, I really want it to look like it too. Anyone?

I'd upgrade the amp first, if you're still using the Line 6. The best guitar's sound may disappoint if you plug it there.
I would NEVER buy or play a Schecter over an Ibanez. Schecters just feel cheap to me. Things like this are all preference, though... my opinion obviously differs over those who have posted above me.

The new Ibanez Iron Label series guitars have some pretty sweet specs and are within your price range. The RGIX20FEQM in particular has an ebony fretboard, EMG pups, binding, etc. Only go with an Ibanez if you like thin necks and bolt-ons, though.

The ESP ltd 1000 series models are also great and within your price range. Their necks are somewhere between Ibanez and Schecter, and they have both set and neck-through designs. The EC-1000 in particular is very good.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
I have two schecters, neither with a Sustainiac, but one is a Synyster Custom. It's very awkward body shape. It feels weird sitting down and fret access is limited standing up. If I were you, Id get a different guitar with a Sustainiac. They make the C-1 Hellraiser FRs with sustainiacs. Same with the blackjack models. If you are really wanting the Avenger body shape, like Syn, they sell a blackjack FR avenger with a Sustainiac system. With a similar, if not, identical headstock to the picture above. That way you won't be paying extra with Syns name and over popular paint job. I regret getting my Syn Custom 4 years ago now. Still a nice sounding and playable guitar.
Quote by gorgthemeatpile
I would NEVER buy or play a Schecter over an Ibanez. Schecters just feel cheap to me. Things like this are all preference, though... my opinion obviously differs over those who have posted above me.

The new Ibanez Iron Label series guitars have some pretty sweet specs and are within your price range. The RGIX20FEQM in particular has an ebony fretboard, EMG pups, binding, etc. Only go with an Ibanez if you like thin necks and bolt-ons, though.

The ESP ltd 1000 series models are also great and within your price range. Their necks are somewhere between Ibanez and Schecter, and they have both set and neck-through designs. The EC-1000 in particular is very good.

I could say the same thing about the Ibanez guitars I've played. Some feel really cheap regardless of the price tag. Same goes with Schecter. With that being said it's best to play it before you buy it. Things like sustainiacs can always be added if you find a good luthier to route out the wood for a reasonable price. Guitar Center was wanting to charge $500 to route out the space for the switches and wires. So a luthier would be much better.

It's personal preference as you said. I wouldn't trade my Hellraiser for anything though :P
Quote by gorgthemeatpile
I would NEVER buy or play a Schecter over an Ibanez. Schecters just feel cheap to me.

You're probably only trying the cheap Schecters. My Hellraiser V-1 has a neck that feels similar to a Gibson (width, smoothness, action and such), but I've played some that feel like -$300 guitars. I've only played one Ibby that was of good enough quality for me to even consider buying. Because of the quality of their lower models, people tend to only buy cheap Ibby's, and it's sort of given them a bad name in some circles. It's a shame too. That being said, I have completely different tastes in guitars and music than you, and no doubt OP as well. As I said, whatever feels best in your price range, although upgrading from a Line 6 15 watt should be his number 1 priority, as great as they are for practicing and recording low level demos
Quote by ne14t
I like a man's cream on my face every morning before my tea.

My girlfriend and her mom see each other nude daily for some weird reason
@Sir Stoney, I do agree with you. Some Ibbys feel very cheap, ESPECIALLY the lower-model ones. Unfortunately the QC on Ibanez guitars is not what it used to be. There's a huge difference in playing my 1987 S-series over a modern (non-prestige) S-series. I love me some old ibbys :P

@Metalisnotmusic, yes we do agree there. Schecter necks are way too thick for my liking. I have played some HORRENDOUS ibbys before. The Gios and 300/400 series really have sullied the company's name. I say go MIJ or go home (which is a bit hypocritical because I own 2 MII ibbys). Also +1 on upgrading from the Line 6.

OP, as mentioned above I would just play as many guitars as possible. Hell, a MIA Strat may be the guitar for you. You won't know til you play it. Forum members could argue about Schecter and Ibanez all day, and it won't help you pick a guitar at all XD
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Quote by shanu2
I'm in NYC, and I'm thinking of buying the Schecter Synyster Gates Custom S w/ Sustaniac. It's around $1100. Is it worth the money? Also, where in NYC should I buy it from? I play A7X, Megadeth, Dream Theater etc.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

It's not something that I would buy myself, normally. The Bat of Death and the SYN initials inlay will get dated *very* quickly (I've got just one bass with a big old skull and crossbones at the 12th fret and another on the upper bout of the body and my spousal unit thinks it looks "sorta cute -- like a dead chipmunk"). But if you're heavily into metal, it might work for you, even after everyone has forgotten who the "SYN" guy is.

I'm not a fan of Invaders -- I pulled two of them from a Flying V and subbed in Tom Anderson pickups within about 24 hours of playing it the first time. The Sustainiac is fine; I've got a Fernandes Sustainer in one of my guitars and love it. But I've also got an installation that doesn't force me to use the Sustainer driver as the neck pickup (I use a Fast Track II that's mounted right in the same pickup ring as the Sustainer driver as my neck pickup), and I've got one of the pots on the circuit board run out to a pot that I can adjust on the fly (Sustainer Intensity). You definitely want to have those Sustainer switches OUT of the way. The guitar is a set neck (where I would have hoped for a neck-through), though the neck heel is pretty comfortable, much like the Gibson Axcess or one of the Carvins.

Can't help you on the purchase thing; I don't even know that I've seen one here in LA recently.
IMO, get the Blackjack SLS Avenger FR-S if you have that kind of money. Better neck, some really cool finishes coming out recently, and you get the full A7X wannabe experience without actually looking like an A7X wannabe. I'm biased because I have one, but I played a Gates Custom and found it considerably less cool than what I've got.
Thanks people! I'll be heading down to Guitar Center in NYC day-after. I'll be looking for something like an Iron Label Ibanez or any High-End Schecter, since they probably won't have the exact models. Any other brand or kind I should try for? Any other good shop that may have the kind of guitars I'm looking for? Again, thanks alot for your help people.
An $1,100 Schecter is going to be one hell of a guitar. Of course a big chunk of the cost is the Sustainianc and the gold plated hardware. For the guitars you’re looking for the 14th street guitar center is probably the best option, not many other stores in Manhattan are pushing metal guitars right now. JR’s down by City Hall is worth trying, and will be less crowded, but call first and ask what’s in stock.

Don’t go the the GC store on a weekend unless you absolutely have to. Lots of dipshit kids wanking out the same riff for thirty minutes straight.
Quote by shanu2
Thanks people! I'll be heading down to Guitar Center in NYC day-after. I'll be looking for something like an Iron Label Ibanez or any High-End Schecter, since they probably won't have the exact models. Any other brand or kind I should try for? Any other good shop that may have the kind of guitars I'm looking for? Again, thanks alot for your help people.

Keep an eye out for Fernandes. This link shows you their JPs- their top of the line- in each body style:

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/products/guitars/jp-series.html

As mentioned above, Fernandes puts Sustainers in many of their guitars, some as affordable as $500-600. As a whole, Fernandes aims for the hard rock & metal market, so their pickups tend towards the hot side, and their necks are more slender than many, thorough probably not so skinny as some as those Ibanez necks. Generally good quality- I own 2 Ravelles and am looking to add a 3rd.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz

As mentioned above, Fernandes puts Sustainers in many of their guitars, some as affordable as $500-600. .

One caution -- make sure you get the models that have two mini-switches for the sustainer. Some have a single switch, and you're not getting the full sustainer thing going with just the on-off.
I hadn't noticed that- thanks!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Not a Les Paul
IMO, get the Blackjack SLS Avenger FR-S if you have that kind of money. ...

Shame they don't have a 7-string version. Should be a winner if it played like the Hellraiser C7, with less Abalone.
I bought the syn custom s and it it's a great guitar.

If you don't hate fat necks I think you should get that one
Last edited by Zaterlord at Oct 31, 2013,
1. Look for used guitars because new guitars are horrible purchases 90% of the time (due to devaluation and the rather large used market).

2. Ignore anyone that says Brand X is bad, or cheap, or inferior to Brand Y. You shouldn't be comparing guitars by brand, but by specs and price ranger. $300 new guitars of any brand tend to be inferior to $700 new guitars of any brand.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Ok guys! I've bought it. The Schecter Synyster Gates Custom model. It's without the Sustaniac though, (they didn't have that one) I played it out, it felt great. I couldn't really make much of the sound since I was plugged right into a Marshall, and I'm used to playing through my tones on my processor. Rest, it'll probably take some time to get used to, I'll have to get it tweaked to my liking, the action, the strings, and maybe get the fret board smoothed out. Lastly, a big ol' thanks to everyone who helped. Those against it, should've tried harder, because I wasn't convinced not to buy. :P Well, I hope my $1000 dollars pay off.
A discussion on whether he should play a Schecter or Ibanez through his Line 6. This is the most UG thread I've ever seen.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
@JustRooster: Yeah and I don't even use that Line 6 anymore. I've got a Boss ME-25 for processing, Line 6 amp's don't process that well. At least my last one didn't.