Now I am pretty sure that you will all say that that I bought the wrong amp to sound like any of those bands, but I got a really good deal on this amp/cab combo. I bought it used for $325, and it is only a little over a year old. Needless to say, I have been playing with some of the effects that the amp has and I still can't seem to get that deep, gritty sound. I have a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal in line before the amp, but even with that on the OD channel it still sounds like it has more treble to the tone even though the bass is all the way up. I know that the solid state amps don't have that tube rattle, but this amp has an FDD switch which is 'supposed to' be a tube emulator. A couple of a side notes...

1. This is the first time I have played with an actual amp/cab combo. My previous setup was the Amplitube 2.0 software that I had on my computer. There was one setting called DIST that had the perfect tone for Godsmack but I can't seem to emulate that sound. I no longer have the cd that the software was on and I lost the program when I had to re-format my computer's hard drive.

2. A majority of the stuff that I play is in Drop C. The songs that I have been trying to play recently are Stricken, Indestructible, and Hail to the King...

3. My guitar isn't that great...just a Squier Strat that I bought new 5-6 years ago for about $175. I did put thicker strings on it to help with the tone but it still isn't quite there.

I was talking to the guy at my local Sam Ash and I think that one of the issues that I am up against is the pickups. I tried a couple of guitars equipped with the humbucker style pickups, specifically to demo the Marshall half stack that I bought, and they seem to have that fat low end chunky sound that is closer to what I am trying to achieve. All things being equal it could be the guitar casuing my issues or more specifically, the pickups. It could also be an issue with me being unfamiliar with this amp and not having the right settings or effects pedal(s).

Ultimately, I know that I won't be able to match the tone exactly...just hoping to come as close as I can. I was just curious to see if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on what the best options are for me. Thanks for your time!
You can't polish a turd. Hell, I wouldn't spend $325 to get a turd.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by PAULBMOORE1980

I was talking to the guy at my local Sam Ash and I think that one of the issues that I am up against is the pickups. I tried a couple of guitars equipped with the humbucker style pickups, specifically to demo the Marshall half stack that I bought, and they seem to have that fat low end chunky sound that is closer to what I am trying to achieve.

Nah, it's the amp. Guitar salespeople love to sell you stuff that won't really fix the problem because then they can sell you two things instead of one.

Don't get me wrong- humbuckers will help (or even a better guitar with humbuckers). It's hard to get that type of tone without humbuckers, even when you have a good amp. But I'd rather get the good amp first, kind of thing. good pickups will make more of a difference with a better (ideally tube and high gain) amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Let me tell you this. I have that same amp. No guitar, set of pickups, or pedal will make your amp do what you want. I tried Overdrives, EQ pedals, etc. nothing will improve it, other than a new cab. Even with a new cab it will still be lacking a lot. What you need is a tube amp. Don't spend anymore money on pedals or pickups. All that money that you spend thinking it will help your amp get what you want it do, won't work. You're in denial, and so was I 2 years ago. I bought a new tube head from Peavey and never looked back. Then I had to get rid of the crappy MG cab and now I can get the balls, warmth and fullness of a tube amp.
And I know you have a squire strat, but if you put your money towards a new amp instead of a guitar, you'd be surprised how you're sound gets insanely better compared to a new guitar. A new guitar will play and feel better, but I'm just giving advice. I was there too man.
Quote by Sir Stoney
Let me tell you this. I have that same amp. No guitar, set of pickups, or pedal will make your amp do what you want. I tried Overdrives, EQ pedals, etc. nothing will improve it, other than a new cab. Even with a new cab it will still be lacking a lot. What you need is a tube amp. Don't spend anymore money on pedals or pickups. All that money that you spend thinking it will help your amp get what you want it do, won't work. You're in denial, and so was I 2 years ago. I bought a new tube head from Peavey and never looked back. Then I had to get rid of the crappy MG cab and now I can get the balls, warmth and fullness of a tube amp.

ditto (except I had an AVT, but similar idea).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by PAULBMOORE1980
Now I am pretty sure that you will all say that that I bought the wrong amp to sound like any of those bands, but I got a really good deal on this amp/cab combo. I bought it used for $325, and it is only a little over a year old. Needless to say, I have been playing with some of the effects that the amp has and I still can't seem to get that deep, gritty sound. I have a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal in line before the amp, but even with that on the OD channel it still sounds like it has more treble to the tone even though the bass is all the way up. I know that the solid state amps don't have that tube rattle, but this amp has an FDD switch which is 'supposed to' be a tube emulator. A couple of a side notes...

1. This is the first time I have played with an actual amp/cab combo. My previous setup was the Amplitube 2.0 software that I had on my computer. There was one setting called DIST that had the perfect tone for Godsmack but I can't seem to emulate that sound. I no longer have the cd that the software was on and I lost the program when I had to re-format my computer's hard drive.

2. A majority of the stuff that I play is in Drop C. The songs that I have been trying to play recently are Stricken, Indestructible, and Hail to the King...

3. My guitar isn't that great...just a Squier Strat that I bought new 5-6 years ago for about $175. I did put thicker strings on it to help with the tone but it still isn't quite there.

I was talking to the guy at my local Sam Ash and I think that one of the issues that I am up against is the pickups. I tried a couple of guitars equipped with the humbucker style pickups, specifically to demo the Marshall half stack that I bought, and they seem to have that fat low end chunky sound that is closer to what I am trying to achieve. All things being equal it could be the guitar casuing my issues or more specifically, the pickups. It could also be an issue with me being unfamiliar with this amp and not having the right settings or effects pedal(s).

Ultimately, I know that I won't be able to match the tone exactly...just hoping to come as close as I can. I was just curious to see if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on what the best options are for me. Thanks for your time!

return your amp to sam ash before 30 days runs out.

get your money back.

make a thread about which amp you should get.

take that advice and go try some amps.

anywhere there is a sam ash, you can get a decent used peavy ultra or xxx for around $350 or $400.

man i hope you've had it less than 30 days, for your sake.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
return your amp to sam ash before 30 days runs out.

get your money back.

make a thread about which amp you should get.

take that advice and go try some amps.

anywhere there is a sam ash, you can get a decent used peavy ultra or xxx for around $350 or $400.

man i hope you've had it less than 30 days, for your sake.

I have the Triple XXX head \m/ Excellent choice