Hello there,

I have been reading stuff about cables but I admit being confused (XLR, RCA, TRS, TS, mono, stereo, unbalanced, balanced...).

What I would like to do is connect my studio monitors to an audio interface. The monitors have XLR connectors (balanced input) and 1/4" TRS (balanced input) and my interface has Stereo 1/4" TRS Balanced Line outputs.

What should I use to avoid noise and get the most out of my monitors? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Last edited by MattyPS at Oct 30, 2013,
Just use 1/4" TRS. Since they are running at line level you shouldn't have noise problems.
^ What he said. Make sure they're TRS jacks. Tip-Ring-Sleeve. Google it if you don't know what that means. TS most likely won't work/will give you noise.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Alright, TRS Jacks. Does it matter if they are mono or stereo (Maybe TRS means stereo, but I am really not sure)? Also, what brands do you recommend?
Last edited by MattyPS at Oct 31, 2013,
Quote by MattyPS
Alright, TRS Jacks. Does it matter if they are mono or stereo (Maybe TRS means stereo, but I am really not sure)? Also, what brands do you recommend?

TRS means tip/ring/sleeve (as lavatain mentioned), as compared to a TS (tip/sleeve). here is a comparison of the two

TRS is the top and TS is the bottom

a TRS cable can carry a balanced mono signal or an unbalanced stereo signal, it'll completely depend on the device's design (for example, headphone jacks generally used unbalanced TRS connections).

but if your interface has TRS balanced outputs then there should be a separate right and a left output. use a separate TRS cable for each output going to each monitor.

i don't really care about brands so much. i just get some tough looking ones. if you want ones with a lifetime warranty then go for monster, as it is easy to find a dealer that sells monster cables so it makes it easier to switch the broken ones for new ones.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Oct 31, 2013,
Nope, that cable is just a TS. Check out Gumbilicious-post above, that really makes it clear. Just check the connector, and count the rings.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Les Paul Tribute 50's
Gibson Midtown Custom
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Telecaster Standard
Gretsch Corvette
Danelectro DC59

Crybaby | TS9 | Korg | Little Big Muff | PS-6| MXR Chorus | TC Spark| DL4
Right, that is what I thought. Gumbilicious-post above was clear, but the guy in the shop still told me that the P500S6 was TRS.

It often seems to me that I get better advice online than when I ask in a shop. At one point he wanted to give me a Fender instrument cable
Last edited by MattyPS at Oct 31, 2013,
You should have asked him to show you the T, the R, and the S. Then you would have known he knew nothing.

In Gumbi's image the S=1, R=2, T=3
Last edited by fly135 at Oct 31, 2013,
^ What you posted just there on thomann is what you want.

That speaker cable by monster is completely not what you want.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.