Hey, so i'm at a loss when recording vocals, and before I get into questions here's my lineup.

Apex435 Condenser mic > Behringer MIC200 Preamp/Phantom Power > M-Audio Fast Track USB > Laptop (DAW) > Kuckos Reaper.

My equipment is pretty entry level I know, but I spend all I could on what I thought would be best in my budget. I'm just unsure how to setup a good vocal sound. Singing Acoustic Covers, and Post Hardcore singing (Not fry screams or anything).
So how would I adjust my Preamp and whatnot, and what kind of VST's would I use and where should I position the mic? My Preamp has a gain up to +60db knob, and an output knob. And it's got a 20+db pad. So it gets rid of distortion from boosting the gain. And my Fast Track has one mic input knob that controls the pickup I guess. An I can't quite figure out how to balance the two and have a good sound. For acoustic songs, how would I get it to make my voice sound more crisp as if i'm right in front of the listener?
And VSTs? Reverb most likely, and EQ, but not sure what freq. to boost or cut. I've been just touch and go, but can't seem to get anything right, so a point in the right direction would REALLY be appreciated. Sorry for the wall of text, but I don't know anyone with any music expertise in real life -.- so hoping ultimate guitar can help me out :b if you wanna get in touch with my on facebook or something if it would be easier for you, just add me, if you just message me without adding though the messages don't reach me, not sure why -.- But yea hit me up if you wanna know more specifics, any advice is appreciated, thanks guys (:
--- My fb [forbidden link]
Oh hey, my fb is a forbidden link :b well after the facebook . com / it would be "7Dingleberry8" that's my username on facebook xP sorry about that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XOPftgIcwY

This is really NOT something we can teach you directly. A lot of what you do to a sound is based on how the recording sounds and the voice that's used and SO many things. It's all too variable for us to help at this point.

Really you're gonna need to learn how to record, do some research, go on google, youtube, buy a book. Do some reading.

If you're too lazy to take some initiative to do some research then you're not really gonna be able to do anything useful. My advice is to learn things.

If you do some research, record something and show it to us, we'll be in a far better position to help you, either way, we need clips!
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Oct 30, 2013,
Quote by ChemicalFire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XOPftgIcwY

This is really NOT something we can teach you directly. A lot of what you do to a sound is based on how the recording sounds and the voice that's used and SO many things. It's all too variable for us to help at this point.

Really you're gonna need to learn how to record, do some research, go on google, youtube, buy a book. Do some reading.

If you're too lazy to take some initiative to do some research then you're not really gonna be able to do anything useful. My advice is to learn things.

If you do some research, record something and show it to us, we'll be in a far better position to help you, either way, we need clips!

Alright cool thanks, yea i've been googling a lot, and trying to figure out what I can :b I learned the basics of setting up the room, to reduce room noise and whatnot. And learned a bit about some frequenices that give trouble. But anywyas, thanks, i'm gonna check this video now :b
Learn about compression. It's absolutely necessary if you want your vocals to sound anything like most populer music