Page 1 of 4
So, I'm sure a lot of you have seen an increase in gluten-free products available (products that would typically be manufactured with wheat). It's been raising quite a few eyebrows.

My fiance has Celiac's, so he cannot process gluten/wheat. Since we started dating, I have been eating wheat sparingly - I have a job as a pastry chef so I need to try little bits of my products before they go out (though I bake GF as well), and I may have a sandwich once a week or so, but that's about as far as my gluten consumption goes. Celiac's as a phenomena has popped up a lot over the past decade, but it has been studied pretty heavily since the 60's, and it makes sense for it to have become more prevalent after post-WWII industrialization and the food industry. Wheat, as a cheap bulk product, became highly prevalent in our diets, even creating new typologies of food (think of all the different kind of snack cracker and cookie and meal-in-a-box products available in the supermarket). Unlike an allergy, a gluten intolerance gets you in the gut and doesn't usually foster any immediate effects. Continuing to eat wheat can permanently damage the gut of someone with an intolerance or with Celiac disease. In general, wheat incites inflammatory responses in most all digestive tracts.

So what does this mean?
1) If you have had GI tract issues/poor nutrient absorption/poor general health for a long time but are having a hard time figuring out what's getting you, try cutting out wheat from your diet for a month and see how you feel.
2) Even if you don't have chronic GI tract issues but you're unhappy with how food makes your body feel and you're generally fatigued, try cutting out wheat from your diet for a month and see how you feel.

NOTE - AVOID BUYING GLUTEN-FREE PRODUCTS
Unless you are buying a grain for yourself to cook with (almond flour, rice flour, quinoa flour) or something naturally gluten-free as a dish (tamari instead of typical soy sauce or potato gnocchi), it's best to just lean away from eating gluten-y stuff instead of buying lots of GF products. Overconsumption of processed carbohydrates is shit for you in many ways, and while gluten can make it worse, taking away gluten doesn't suddenly make it all peaches. Get your burger without a bun - there's little more gratifying than a big plate of meat and cheese. Try a bed of rice, quinoa, grits, or a salad as a base for a dish rather than pasta (imagine salmon on pasta and then imagine salmon on cheese grits... mmmm.) Instead of buying pizza just buy some cheese and fry up some onions to go with it. Make stir-fries your best friend. Hell, even potato chips are gluten-free. This shit is really easy.

Why are you talking about any of this crap?
I've noticed that cutting my gluten intake significantly, as someone without any diagnosed gluten digestion issues and also as someone who detests fad diets/foods, has made me feel so much better after while I digest my food and throughout my entire day. I don't wake up feeling sluggish on the days I eat no gluten... and I always used to wake up sluggish regardless of how well I slept or how much water I drank the night before. I feel a lot less bloated. My shit is way more normal. I don't crash during the day. I don't feel bad when I do specifically want to eat gluten (like a piece of cake). I tend to use more veggies when I cook as filler (replace pasta with broccoli and voila). I stay full for longer. You also would not believe how other grains compare to wheat in nutritional value - most have at least twice the protein content if not 3x or 4x more. I'd love for you guys to experience this, too.

tl;dr - Cutting gluten from your diet actually will make you feel better, so try it, but don't bother doing it by simply buying the labeled "gluten-free" bullshit like the shitty Morningstar lazy vegetarian slut that you are.

similar stories/discussion please post
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
Instead of buying pizza just buy some cheese and fry up some onions to go with it.

hah

no but i've been trying a lot of different ways of eating better and have mostly been feeling a lot better so maybe i'll give this a shot too
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
^ That's exactly what I was trying to say Eat crap and you'll die quicker.

Quote by metaldud536
This is some hipster shit right here.

My bowel movements are kinda hip now, yeah
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

ive noticed more gluten-free sheit in my grocery store, its definitely gaining popularity

..thats all i have to say about that
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Apparently a gluten-free diet has negligible health benefits if you aren't a sufferer of some form of gluten sensitivity.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
Apparently a gluten-free diet has negligible health benefits if you aren't a sufferer of some form of gluten sensitivity.

Then apparently I don't exist Just passing on the thought. It makes sense to eat less gluten in general, unless you're not eating much of it anyway.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I know some people with actual celiac disease, but if you don't have that this gluten free stuff seems stupid as shit.

Like oh, I have nothing wrong with me but Im gonna miss out on all this great food anyway

Kinda like being a vegetarian, lolololololol
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
everybody got Celiac now
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by WCPhils
I know some people with actual celiac disease, but if you don't have that this gluten free stuff seems stupid as shit.

Like oh, I have nothing wrong with me but Im gonna miss out on all this great food anyway

Kinda like being a vegetarian, lolololololol

You really that jazzed about bread, mate?
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal

But... but bread is what holds our sandwiches together ;_;
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by vintage x metal

I eat bread all the time, so I know I am. It's totally worth feeling less healthy and dying younger for.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Cutting out gluten just because is just weird. Your experience is not enough to make any broad claims. Rather than just cutting stuff out just because, talk to a nutritionist.

Speaking generally, I just know that if one is going to a place where they prepare the food for you, if you order gluten free stuff, DO NOT order something with gluten while you're there. Cooks will hate your guts. They (should) care about that stuff, but they hate seeing non-gluten-free people order gluten-free and it makes it harder to take it seriously. So, if anyone wants to try this, don't flip-flop at restaurants.

Funny enough, I bought my girlfriend a bread cook book from a prominent bakery in San Fran.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Oct 30, 2013,
^ Lol, I hang out with several professional nutritionists and convinced them to do the same. They love it. Gluten doesn't provide you with any health benefits that something else cannot, and wheat isn't really a better course of any nutrients in comparison to any other foods.

Quote by WCPhils
But... but bread is what holds our sandwiches together ;_;

Nawps. Try slices of cheese instead. Or fried eggplant. Much better than bread (at least enough to make me salivate quite a bit right now at work thinking about it). Who wants to get full on bread anyway? I guarantee if you ate with me for a week you would be more satisfied than you are now.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Last edited by vintage x metal at Oct 30, 2013,
Gluten does no harm to someone without Celiac disease. There is no point in eating like that unless you have the disease. It isn't better for you as the research I've done on it has told me. There's really no benefit. If it helps you, good for you, but I've never heard of this benefit.
Quote by vintage x metal
Nawps. Try slices of cheese instead. Or fried eggplant. Much better than bread (at least enough to make me salivate quite a bit right now at work thinking about it). Who wants to get full on bread anyway? I guarantee if you ate with me for a week you would be more satisfied than you are now.

so your telling me to use fried egg plant as a substitute for bread on my ham and cheese sandwhich? that doesnt sound too appetizing

rye bread is delicious
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
there's way to many wall of text op's in the pit today, UG is where I go when I want to not think very hard ffs.
Quote by vintage x metal
^ Lol, I hang out with several professional nutritionists and convinced them to do the same. They love it. Gluten doesn't provide you with any health benefits that something else cannot, and wheat isn't really a better course of any nutrients in comparison to any other foods.

Sounds like you need better bread
___

Quote by The_Blode
I don't think I'd ever want to go gluten free. But I did keto for a while and I felt fantastic and more alert and energetic and I'm thinking about cycling it (like maybe a couple of months a year) because it helped me lose weight and regulate my blood sugar, but I like bread and cake and stuff and I can't cook meat when my parents are around and getting adequate protein is a bit trickier without meat. I love food in general and I don't like the idea of permanently not being able to eat something that is really good. Even when I did keto I'd eat cheese fries and paus or whatever on Saturdays because they are yummy and I love food and food is good.

My friend is crazy about fad diets but gluten-free actually helped with her eczema somehow.
cat
Quote by zackk
Gluten does no harm to someone without Celiac disease. There is no point in eating like that unless you have the disease. It isn't better for you as the research I've done on it has told me. There's really no benefit. If it helps you, good for you, but I've never heard of this benefit.

You have to realize that for any structured experiment, they have to single out gluten as the only variable, whereas when you're constructing your diet for yourself, it is more complicated. If I simply stopped eating gluten, it would be different. What I am suggesting is that we add more whole foods and cut out more processed carbohydrates by means of a diet that avoids gluten, which has plenty of backing to support it.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal

PITA BREAD AND HUMMUS PITA BREAD AND HUMMUS I thought you worked in a bakery how do you not like bread
cat
Quote by strait jacket
there's way to many wall of text op's in the pit today, UG is where I go when I want to not think very hard ffs.

Oh go jerk off

Quote by guitarxo
I don't think I'd ever want to go gluten free. But I did keto for a while and I felt fantastic and more alert and energetic and I'm thinking about cycling it (like maybe a couple of months a year) because it helped me lose weight and regulate my blood sugar, but I like bread and cake and stuff and I can't cook meat when my parents are around and getting adequate protein is a bit trickier without meat. I love food in general and I don't like the idea of permanently not being able to eat something that is really good. Even when I did keto I'd eat cheese fries and paus or whatever on Saturdays because they are yummy and I love food and food is good.

My friend is crazy about fad diets but gluten-free actually helped with her eczema somehow.

I wouldn't cut it all out (I haven't and won't) but I've certainly at least cut the amount. I still love bread and cake. I just don't allow it to be part of my daily intake. Making sandwiches everyday for a meal is a dumb idea. A salad or rice or quinoa make more sense. I meant this more as easy suggestions

GF diets are AMAZING for eczema
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Mr E Meat
is heroin a gluten

it is not, should be good
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by The_Blode
My sister has a gluten allergy/intolerance, so I'm super familiar with all this.

She was sick in bed for 2 full years and finally researched enough to come to the conclusion that her sickness was a reaction to the constant gluten intake.

Turns out she was right, the doctor said it was actually one of the worst intolerances he had seen. She's not sure if she actually has Celiac though. I'm not too sure on all those details.

So my family has to watch how we cook things as to not contaminate too much and get gluten in her system. There's not much wheat in the kitchen anymore either.

but this whole thing has opened my eyes to a lot of different kinds of foods and ways to cook things. Definitely been interesting.
I have a friend who doesn't digest gluten easy (or at all, I can't remember), so she buys gluten free products.

That's all I have to input here.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I'm good with being on a vegetarian diet, maybe I will try that later.
Wayne's World! Party Time! Excellent!
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth

Schecter Platinum C-1 Floyd Rose

Quote by Lord_Doku
Friendship and masturbation go a long way towards happiness. Until you have sex, then it's friendship and sex. And an empty wallet.
Quote by jimihendrix6699
so your telling me to use fried egg plant as a substitute for bread on my ham and cheese sandwhich? that doesnt sound too appetizing

rye bread is delicious

Seriously. The more I'm think about that post the more I'm wtfing at it. Oh let's just slap some eggplant around that pb&j, cheesesteak, hoagie, tuna, meatball, roast beef, pulled pork, cold cut, cheeseburger, hot dog.....

WUT

And that's not even mentioning bagels!!!!!
___

Quote by The_Blode
Last edited by WCPhils at Oct 30, 2013,
I tried to eliminate wheat entirely from my diet over the summer. It was just too hard. I did alright for a couple days, but having to bake your own bread 2 or 3 times a week just isn't worth the time or cost.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Everyone loves gluten. These attempts to avoid it are just going against the grain.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Quote by HypernovaGlow
Everyone loves gluten. These attempts to avoid it are just going against the grain.

Indeed. My previous attempts have all gone awrye
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
Indeed. My previous attempts have all gone awrye

One time I accidentally bought a bunch of gluten free products so I ate them unwheatingly. I didn't grain anything from the experience.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
Quote by HypernovaGlow
One time I accidentally bought a bunch of gluten free products so I ate them unwheatingly. I didn't grain anything from the experience.

I'd loaf to give it another go, but maybe when I have more time and money. It'll probably be at yeast after I'm out of school.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
I'd loaf to give it another go, but maybe when I have more time and money. It'll probably be at yeast after I'm out of school.

7/10
Should have replaced the word "money" with the word "dough". You missed an easy one.

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
Good point. Dough, to pretzely honest, I'm not in the right mind
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I've stated that gluten sucks numerous times on here before.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by WCPhils
Seriously. The more I'm think about that post the more I'm wtfing at it. Oh let's just slap some eggplant around that pb&j, cheesesteak, hoagie, tuna, meatball, roast beef, pulled pork, cold cut, cheeseburger, hot dog.....

WUT

And that's not even mentioning bagels!!!!!

haha forreal, eggplant on a pb&j? if someone handed me that and said "its gluten-free" idk whatd be worse, the look on my face or the look of the damn sandwhich
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by The_Blode
Page 1 of 4