Band has began playing larger shows and i cannot afford a high power tube amp yet. I have a Orange Dark Terror that i love. It just does not have the power i need anymore. I do not like the sound from the PA picking up the slack. I want the amp to hit the audience and the PA to fill the gaps. I am thinking of cheating and using the orange like a preamp and running it to a Class D power amp then to 2 4 x 12 cabs.

Somone told me that i will have to run an attenuator before the class D amp to not damage the tube amp. Just wondering if thats the case?

I am thinking of getting this one [forbidden link]
Quote by stuckey1982
Band has began playing larger shows and i cannot afford a high power tube amp yet. I have a Orange Dark Terror that i love. It just does not have the power i need anymore. I do not like the sound from the PA picking up the slack. I want the amp to hit the audience and the PA to fill the gaps. I am thinking of cheating and using the orange like a preamp and running it to a Class D power amp then to 2 4 x 12 cabs.

Somone told me that i will have to run an attenuator before the class D amp to not damage the tube amp. Just wondering if thats the case?

Um...no.

I'm not sure why you "want the amp to hit the audience and the PA to fill the gaps." That sounds like what I used to think back in the late '60's.

A pair of 4x12s will beam ice-pick treble to a small patch of the audience and muffled sound to the rest. The larger show you play, the more you want the PA to take over providing balanced sound to the audience. Been there, done that, regretted those mistakes and four 4x12s are sitting in storage and will probably never be onstage again unless I need stage eye candy.

The speaker output of the Orange will overdrive the input of the Class D amp. Not good. An attenuator probably would work, but why spend the bucks?

If you're going to output to the Class D, you'll probably have to take the output of the FX loop and run it into the input of the Class D amp. Check with both manufacturers to see if this will work for you, but I'm betting the answer will be yes. Note that you'll still want to have the Dork Terror running some kind of speaker cabinet (even a 1x12) or you'll damage the valve amp.
Sell your Dark Terror and get a 2nd hand TH30. Dark Terror is based on the dirty channel of TH30. With the money you get from selling the DT plus your budget for the power amp you should have enough money.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115