I put some hard contrast and didn't use a white balance filter under the incandescent bulb, which gives all these photos a really 'classic vibe.'

So it's not a bolt-on, but it's one of the very few faults this guitar seems to have considering the really, really reasonable price tag for some MIA woodwork. She's got a serial stamped on the headstock just like the real Gibsons. You can definitely tell in the fretboard that the premium woods went elsewhere, but overall it's still solid. It's still pretty worthy of the name on top.

I'm pretty surprised with how comfortable I find myself on this one. I tried my hardest to want to like LP's and Explorers, but just simply can't. The D shape on this doesn't seem quite as much of a Louisville Slugger as the rest of the lineup does to me. The frets are pretty different from what I'm used to, so as things get higher up on the fretboard my playing gets a little pear shaped, but I'm sure I'll work my way into it. It is pretty darn smooth below the 12th fret, though.

The sound has potential. The stock pickups do a couple things really well, and everything else pretty lackluster but passable. A pickup swap is definitely, definitely in the future for this thing. I'm thinking of a SD Jazz in the neck and an Antiquity in the rear. Not sure. I'll be playing through my Carvin V3M for stuff like Baroness and Mastodon. I'm not near as versed in Humbucker selections as I am singles, so I'm definitely taking suggestions. I'd like to keep it under $200 for the pair.

I find myself really, really liking the finish. Overly glossy and thick finished make things feel fake to me. This guitar is kind of converting me to liking satin/stained finished better.

I'll get some soundclips sometime soon, as well as more pictures. Enjoy for now.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Something about the lighting makes it look almost like...a scale model.

Still, nice, classic axe!

What are you thinking about for potential desired sounds out of the new pickups? I can think of a few that might float your boat.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Some thoughts:

Take a listen to the RailHammer pickups, specifically the HyperVintage and Chisel. The Anvil would probably be hotter than you're looking for, maybe not. Either way, they're on my short list of pickups to consider for some guitars I'm planning on switching to NST. One of those currently has SDs in it.

The Tesla VR pickups might also offer what you want- I've got a VR-Extreme in the bridge of my RockBeach custom. It's pretty beefy without being insane. The OPUS pickups are pretty sweet, though I've only used the singlecoils, not the HB version.

I have the standard Lace Alumitones in another guitar, and those things are amazingly clean. The Deathbucker version is hotter, but I've heard mixed reviews. Even though they're passive, they have some tonal similarities to EMGs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 30, 2013,
Personally I prefer MIM Fender to thee CV stuff, but what you got is a good option.

Congratulations!
I can't Strat to this!

Very nice

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb

awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Very nice - great to see some different pics too
My SG and I playing classic vibe football:

My SG and I basking in a very classic vibe on the porch.

More to come.
Quote by JustRooster
Like a metal Allman Bros.

May I direct you to the band Umphrey's McGee?

Stick through for both songs, the second one is much heavier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh-1fFWkSdw

Anyway, HNGD! I love my SG, she never lets me down. I have the stock bridge (498t) but a '59 Classic in the neck, which really sings for fluid leads with gain. I imagine the pearly gates will give you a similar sound, so you're on the right track there.

Enjoy!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Judging from the latest photos, that man is in love with his S(exy) G(uitar)!

HNGD!

Those SGs are pretty damn nice guitars, especially for the price.

No idea what to recommend for the buckers though, I only have experience with Strat-style guitars and humbuckers.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Had it for a week now. Still can't get over that high fret unfinishedness. Hmmm...
It's probably a horrible guitar actually.

Guess I'll have to be a good man and help you get rid of your painful dissatisfaction with that SG. Wouldn't do this for everyone, but since it's you, just send the guitar to me.
Just feeling like making sacrifices right now.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
There's a dude with an HSS Highway One who offered me a trade, actually...
^^

but yeah the dodgy fretwork is the main thing that makes me wary of the cheaper gibsons. even my sg standard probably has squarer frets than i'd ideally like (but they're a lot better than the cheaper gibsons I've tried).

EDIT: don't you do setup work? couldn't you just give it a quick crown?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 2, 2013,
What if the frets on the HW1 aren't good either?
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Then I'll sell it to fun the Bass VI I want so bad, haha.

And Dave, that might be my next little project. I'm a 25.5" guy at heart, so we'll see how I get used to this. Hell, I love the 27" Bari scale.
Quote by JustRooster
Then I'll sell it to fun the Bass VI I want so bad, haha.

And Dave, that might be my next little project. I'm a 25.5" guy at heart, so we'll see how I get used to this. Hell, I love the 27" Bari scale.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank god for Stew Mac. That crown file might be the most useful guitar purchase I've ever made. Didn't have to take any down, just rounded out and polished frets 12-14. She's much, much better now.

Honeymoon phase reinitiated.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Something about the lighting makes it look almost like...a scale model.

It's the fact that the background goes out of focus quickly behind the guitar.
Quote by JustRooster
Thank god for Stew Mac. That crown file might be the most useful guitar purchase I've ever made. Didn't have to take any down, just rounded out and polished frets 12-14. She's much, much better now.

Amazing what well-done fretwork will do for a guitar.
Quote by JustRooster

nice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?