Ok. Today I spent 3 hours at GC demoing amps. I tried a Vintage Modern 2266 (50W), a DSL100H, an Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk.II, and an Egnater Tweaker 88.

The DSL was easily the worst of the bunch. The cleans were almost the exact opposite of what I wanted. Like the demos on Youtube, they are super bright, spanky and thin. Excellent for a funk kind of sound, but not what I want. It also was too touchy - there were cleans, and heavy dirt with heavy pick attack - I could not get the dirt to be proportional with my pick attack, it was a sort of "on" with moderate - heavy attack, and "off" with very light attack. This was on the dirt mode of the clean channel, not sure what it was called.

The Tweaker 88 was, unfortunately, the same as I thought it would be based on the videos I watched of it. It has a TON of options, but none of them really do anything. The amp came off just super bland to me. It suffers heavily from "jack of all trades" syndrome, none of the sounds in it really impressed me at all. It was a little more responsive to my pick attack than the DSL, but still not linearly enough to really impress me. The price was GREAT ($400 on clearance), but despite the price I just was not happy with it.

The Rockerverb 50 Mk.II. Wow. As I suspected, this one had the best cleans of the bunch. Real nice, dark and CLEAN. I don't like breakup in my cleans, and what I love about Oranges is how clean and smooth their cleans are. I love the gain knob on this amp. The dirty channel isn't just a dirty channel like a lot of amps - the gain knob allows you to dial in from cleans as clean as the clean channel, to classic Orange Sludge. In between you have your range of great Orange crunch. The range of the gain knob on this amp is fantastic, however, it is still not as touch sensitive as I was looking for. It didn't get me the cleans I want with light picking as well as the amount of dirt I want with heavy picking. With heavy picking it was still too clean.

The Vintage Modern. This was the first Marshall I ever fell in love with. I played this one just because it was there and to play it, I wasn't expecting it to be at all what I was looking for. This amp came out of ****ing NOWHERE with how much I liked it. This amp was by far my favorite amp I played today. I'm in love with it all over again, now for even more reasons than I was the first time. I absolutely love the way the preamp gain is split into the upper and lower frequencies. It is massively useful for getting different sounds out of this amp. With both cranked all the way up? Dear ****ing god. Blasphemy incoming: This amp with both preamp gains maxed out DESTROYED the Rockerverb for sludge tones. It was so. Goddamn. Fuzzy. In the best way, not in the shitty solid state way. It sounded just as good as my Earthquaker Hoof, though different. All on it's own, just in the amp. No pedal needed. Sludge? Check. For the sounds I was actually trying the amps for, I got that as well. With the Body control all the way down, and the other pregain control around 65% of the way up, I can get clean, dirt free cleans with light attack, all the way up to a good solid, no "edge of breakup" BS dirt with heavy attack. The cleans are slightly too bright for my taste, but with more time spent dialing it in I'm pretty sure I can be happy with it. If not, I can definitely get there with pedals. They were much more mellow and manageable than the DSL, at any rate. One thing that sets this amp apart is that the amount of dirt I get out of it is much more linear with my pick attack than anything else I tried. It was so enjoyable to play.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've always wanted to spend more time with a VM. I hear so many great things.

IDK why there are so many switches on the Tweaker series. Do you really need all those do-dads?
You really need to try a splawn quickrod. I was considering getting a vintage modern, and am glad i took the gamble on a splawn promod and it paid $950 to the door.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
You really need to try a splawn quickrod. I was considering getting a vintage modern, and am glad i took the gamble on a splawn promod and it paid $950 to the door.

What would you say about it, based on the things I mentioned liking and wanting in my post?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
People seem to either love or hate the DSL's. It is easily my favorite modern marshall I have played.

I agree you need to look a Splawn.

Have you tried the Laney VH100r?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Offworld92
What would you say about it, based on the things I mentioned liking and wanting in my post?

The only questionable part is that the cleans may not be your liking, they may break up a bit but they aren't bad.

Here are some things that ade really nice. You have the three gears and OD1/OD2 for each gear and a switchable boost. You can read the stats. But the overdrive on the channel can hit a light blues to a pissed off Marshall.

One thing is that they are so detailed, not muddy one bit, chords run clear through even at max gain (which you likely won't need.

They are nice amps. If you have an issue you can speak with Scott who owns the company and designed the amp. Where else do you find that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well, the VM was the only single channel amp that you have listed there, so that may be why it was the most touch sensitive. Single channel amps TEND to be more sensitive to pick attack. If you want something similar, look into the GH50L or GH100L, depending on how much wattage you need.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
nice reviews
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by LaidBack
Well, the VM was the only single channel amp that you have listed there, so that may be why it was the most touch sensitive. Single channel amps TEND to be more sensitive to pick attack. If you want something similar, look into the GH50L or GH100L, depending on how much wattage you need.

+1 to the GH50L. I know it's a single-channel amp but it does so many things that you want so well. You can also check out Budda amps as well, like the Superdrive 18/30. Really popular amps for sludge, and they are two-channel. I remember having the Superdrive 30 for a couple weeks and the cleans were so dark and lush with headroom for days. Really Marshally IMO. Check one out if you can.
That and Baroness was using Superdrive 80s for a while.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The first two VMs I tried were absolutely fantastic, while the last one I sat with for a while really disappointed me. The only reason I didn't pull the trigger was because I needed a two channel amp for what I do. I love a dedicated clean channel and a dedicated gain channel. I went JCM2000 Dsl with a eq in the loop for a boost. I found that the only tweaker I enjoy is the 15, and I LOVED IT. The 88 just sounded so average. Like it was bold, but clunky. average amounts of gain on tapped even cranked, which concerned me a bit.

I personally do not enjoy the Rockerverb myself. While it sounds fantastic, something about it never sat with me well. It never carried well in the live settings I've heard it in and they were all rather noisy. But both could be attributed to numerous reasons.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I don't know if I missed it, but what sound were you looking for? That seems pretty important.
Quote by Robbgnarly
People seem to either love or hate the DSL's. It is easily my favorite modern marshall I have played.

I agree you need to look a Splawn.

Have you tried the Laney VH100r?

I've never even seen a GH/VH IRL. Laneys are non-existent in SoCal.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
The only questionable part is that the cleans may not be your liking, they may break up a bit but they aren't bad.

Here are some things that ade really nice. You have the three gears and OD1/OD2 for each gear and a switchable boost. You can read the stats. But the overdrive on the channel can hit a light blues to a pissed off Marshall.

One thing is that they are so detailed, not muddy one bit, chords run clear through even at max gain (which you likely won't need.

They are nice amps. If you have an issue you can speak with Scott who owns the company and designed the amp. Where else do you find that.

Quote by Dave_Mc
nice reviews

Quote by cdr_salamander
+1 to the GH50L. I know it's a single-channel amp but it does so many things that you want so well. You can also check out Budda amps as well, like the Superdrive 18/30. Really popular amps for sludge, and they are two-channel. I remember having the Superdrive 30 for a couple weeks and the cleans were so dark and lush with headroom for days. Really Marshally IMO. Check one out if you can.

I'll look into them. Sludge is not really a priority though, it's just something that it'd be nice if it could do.

Quote by Boz0r
I don't know if I missed it, but what sound were you looking for? That seems pretty important.

Thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1621533&page=1&pp=20

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
What cab/guitar were you using with the DSL? Also, it is one of the newer DSL or is it a JCM2000? The newer DSLs aren't too good imho. Definitely not on par with the jcm2k.
Used a Marshall 1960 with the Vintage Modern & DSL
Used an Avatar with V30s with the Rockerverb
Used some Egnater 212 cab with the Tweaker 88. Not sure exactly what.

It was the DSL100H, not the JCM2000.

I love the idea of a simple single channel amp.

But I think in the long run I might be happier with something similar to how the Rockerverb was, where I can do the single channel thing on the dirty channel, and have a dedicated clean channel as well if I want to use it that way.

Jury's still out on the TH100 and VH100. I have no idea how I'd be able to play them.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X