Somewhat looking around for a new guitar to play some metal music - and what better excuse to buy a new guitar, right?!? Saw these last night and they look pretty interesting. I'm just curious if anyone here has any hands on with them. I am looking at the RGIR20FE model (with the hardtail bridge). Thoughts?
I briefly played on at a shop a couple weeks back. It was a solid guitar without a doubt, this model had the Gibralter(spelling?) bridge on it. The neck was a bit thin for my liking, i've never really gotten along with Ibby necks, but it's a shredders guitar for sure.

For the price and the specs it was a really nice instrument, finishing was nice, the EMG pickups were rock solid and heavy as can be. Try one out if you can.

If I had the money I would consider getting one, but again, the neck is too thin for me.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
By thin, do you mean narrow? Or just the "deepness" of it in your palm? And yeah, I am leaning towards the Gibralter bridge. Never have been big on tremolo's, though that's probably because I can't pull off the Dimebag/Kerry King tremolo squeals.... Haha!

Edit: Also, this may sound dumb, but does the lack of fret markers make it any more difficult to play? I know it has dots on the top side but they are absent in the middle of the frets. Never have played a guitar without them, though it probably is a moot point!
Last edited by Dinglebuttz at Oct 31, 2013,
The neck shape is more flat than it is round. It's a fairly wide neck which was nice, but it was too flat for me to play.

I didn't notice a difference not having the markers. It's just something you get used to.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Quote by Dinglebuttz

Edit: Also, this may sound dumb, but does the lack of fret markers make it any more difficult to play? I know it has dots on the top side but they are absent in the middle of the frets. Never have played a guitar without them, though it probably is a moot point!

I was in a grindcore band with a guy that didn't have regular fret markers. It didn't effect him any, but for my it was kinda really annoying sometimes.

Oh, you have a riff? I like it. Where the **** are you anyways?
Quote by Charvel1995
The neck shape is more flat than it is round. It's a fairly wide neck which was nice, but it was too flat for me to play.

I didn't notice a difference not having the markers. It's just something you get used to.

Got ya. Thanks for the info. I'll try getting to a Guitar Center over the weekend to test a few Ibanez guitars out to get a feel for the neck. Probably won't be the exact one but the Wizard ones should be pretty close!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I was in a grindcore band with a guy that didn't have regular fret markers. It didn't effect him any, but for my it was kinda really annoying sometimes.

Oh, you have a riff? I like it. Where the **** are you anyways?

What do you mean by "you have a riff?" I live in Southern Indiana.
I tried the RG Trem version and I really had a problem because of the blank fretboard without markers. I realized that I do look a lot at the fretboard when playing (lots of shredding, sweep picking between 12th and 24th fret) which was damn hard on that guitar. When I'm playing stuff on the high e- and b-string my eyes are too lazy to check 2-3" far away side dots
But I'm just too used to having big sharktooth inlays on my main guitar, so maybe it's just me.
Better you check out a guitar without fretboard markers
On a side note: What are some of the better Ibanez RG guitars I can buy in stores? My budget is around $500.
Quote by Dinglebuttz
On a side note: What are some of the better Ibanez RG guitars I can buy in stores? My budget is around $500.

With your budget, I would be looking at used guitars. You can pick up a used prestige for 500 if you look around. I got my RGR1570 Prestige for $400 on Craigslist in near perfect condition.
I'll look around at some of those as well. Still pondering on the Iron Label one as well!
Quote by Dinglebuttz
What do you mean by "you have a riff?" I live in Southern Indiana.

Well my bandmate would have some riff, lick, or phrase, that he would be playing. It was a pain in the ass for me because the fretboard was blank and thus made it harder to see what's going on.
Gah! Just had two pretty good offers come to me. Dunno what to do!

Ibanez RGIR20FE black - store model for $475

Charvel Skatecaster SK1 - store model for $419

Both have active EMG's, warranty, etc. I hate decisions...
Last edited by Dinglebuttz at Oct 31, 2013,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Well my bandmate would have some riff, lick, or phrase, that he would be playing. It was a pain in the ass for me because the fretboard was blank and thus made it harder to see what's going on.

LOL oh ok. I thought you were asking me if I had one hahaha. I failed to understand the context you were using. I understand now!
Quote by Dinglebuttz

Ibanez. I've never had a good experience with the newer Charvel guitars, I'e always found enough flaws with them to bug me. They seem to have a bad rep in general.

I'd take the Ibanez for sure.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Quote by Dinglebuttz

Ive considered buying the 7-string RGIR27E w/ a floyd, its worth roughly $658 here in manila.

ive been choosing which to buy this holiday season as gift to myself between that IR, Ibanez RGR520D and a Charvel Desolation Soloist Dx-1 FR.

As for the charvel, it got my attention because of the neck-through body thing. The IR 7-string because i want to venture in the djent-ish sound. and the RGR520D because it kinda costs less and maybe i can buy a hard case.

Though im leaning a bit more on the IR.

Decisions decisions decisions....