What is the better method to 'shape' your guitar style?
I like the option to play the songs I like, because it makes you feel more motivated to learn it.
And I think most guitarists did learn the songs they like, and didn't force themselves to learn some 'old' blues classics which they didn't like anyway.
Quote by ArtistLion
What is the better method to 'shape' your guitar style?
I like the option to play the songs I like, because it makes you feel more motivated to learn it.
And I think most guitarists did learn the songs they like, and didn't force themselves to learn some 'old' blues classics which they didn't like anyway.

I agree that playing songs you like is motivating, which is a good thing, but I think you should be more open minded about learning other things as well. If you have a teacher that is recommending to you that you learn some "old" blues, it's probably because they know that regardless of your personal tastes, it'll be good for you.

what kind of music are you into?
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 31, 2013,
Learn songs you like, but keep a open mind.

Five years ago i only played metal music, and while there isn't anything wrong with that, i was very limited as a player and musician. I have since started listening to all kinds of music. Country, jazz, fusion, funk, blues, opera, baroque, pop etc. There is value in all music, every style has something to offer. Atleast that's how i see it, and therefor i can appreciate almost every style of music.

Therefor i only learn music i like, i go through different periods were i listen to different things. Right now for example i am in a very bluesy + classical period, so i find myself learning a lot of classical pieces aswell as old blues tunes.

Bottom line, learn what you like, it will make you happy. But always listen to music with an open mind, you might find that you like a style you didn't think you liked, you just hadn't found the right artist to introduce it to you.

Hope that was to any help
Best Regards
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
Learn songs you like, but keep a open mind.

+1 (and to the rest of the post too, really)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by GuitarMunky
I agree that playing songs you like is motivating, which is a good thing, but I think you should be more open minded about learning other things as well. If you have a teacher that is recommending to you that you learn some "old" blues, it's probably because they know that regardless of your personal tastes, it'll be good for you.

what kind of music are you into?

I'm into:

Classic Rock:
Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix
Whitesnake
Alice Cooper
Cream
Guns n Roses
Aerosmith

Some Blues:
Muddy Waters
BB King

90s rock/alternative rock:
Oasis
Nirvana
Rage against the Machine
3 Doors Down
The Calling
The Goo Goo Dolls
Six pence none the richer
Red Hot Chili Peppers
No Doubt
The Cardigans
Plain White T's

Some Baroque
Vivaldi
Bach

Romantic music
Liszt
Paganini
Chopin
Beethoven
Tchaikovsky

J-pop/J-rock from various Anime and Japanese videogames
Daft Punk

It's quite an overwhelming likeability list XD.

But yeah, thank you all for the tip of keeping an open mind. I'll focus on my favourite songs first.
Ideally there's substantial overlap between what you like and what you want to play.
Quote by ArtistLion

Romantic music
Liszt
Paganini
Chopin
Beethoven
Tchaikovsky

Have you looked into Rachmaninov or Grieg? They were both amazing composers. Though, I'd recommend getting around to studying the Late Classical/Romantic period in general, as it's the time of the best orchestral music ever written, in my opinion.

When it comes to how I play/write, I usually let the music I listen to/study shape my style of playing and writing. However, I am also constantly in the hunt of music, so I guess I'm still trying to put my style together.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Last edited by Mister A.J. at Oct 31, 2013,
I used to play mostly just metal and the songs that I liked, but I now play full time with a cover band as my primary job. I have to quickly learn and memorize 4 songs every week...Talk about expanding your playing! Sometimes I learn songs that I actually like, but a lot of times I just have to learn to play whatever songs the band agrees that we will be doing. It's crazy how much I've learned through simply learning songs that I would have never otherwise paid any mind to.

I recommend just learning ALL TYPES of stuff if you really want to expand your playing. It's crazy how many cool chord shapes and new licks that you pick up along the way which you can add to your overall repertoire.
Well, I learn songs I like and I also try my best to work on things from others styles that. It's a good idea to listen to a wide are of genres and be able to learn as much as you can.
Skip the username, call me Billy