Hey Folks,

Anyone have any experience with this pedal? Sounds good in demos on Youtube but that doesn't mean anything. I have also learned that some MXR "specialty" pedals are just glorified versions of other, less expensive pedals. I also don't understand what the cut knob does.

Thanks
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
i think it's a glorified sd1, but i haven't tried it.

I think offworld has one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I do have one.

It's a nicer SD-1. I also own an SD-1, and the Boss is much noisier. The MXR is also more versatile, it gives you options to sculpt your lows/low mids in addition to just a tone knob.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I do have one.

It's a nicer SD-1. I also own an SD-1, and the Boss is much noisier. The MXR is also more versatile, it gives you options to sculpt your lows/low mids in addition to just a tone knob.

So worth the extra cost?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
At $100 new, I think it's very worth the cost.

Compared to something like a regular TS9 for the same price.

But there's other nice ODs out there as well. Way Huge Green Rhino for instance, or for something slightly more booteek but simple there's the CMAT Signa Drive. And tons and tons of other stuff...

What do you want the pedal to do exactly? We can make recommendations based on that.

For what it's worth, Youtube videos do mean something. I've tried a bunch of stuff after listening to videos, and it was always very close. Watch a lot of videos, at least 5 on any one piece of gear, and you can basically triangulate what it actually sounds like.

/rant.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ yeah. youtube vids are far from ideal, and obviously aren't as good as trying the thing yourself, but they're far better than nothing. At least the decent quality vids.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Offworld92
At $100 new, I think it's very worth the cost.

Compared to something like a regular TS9 for nthe same price.

But there's other nice ODs out there as well. Way Huge Green Rhino for instance, or for something slightly more booteek but simple there's the CMAT Signa Drive. And tons and tons of other stuff...

What do you want the pedal to do exactly? We can make recommendations based on that.

For what it's worth, Youtube videos do mean something. I've tried a bunch of stuff after listening to videos, and it was always very close. Watch a lot of videos, at least 5 on any one piece of gear, and you can basically triangulate what it actually sounds like.

/rant.

Dave_mc and Offworld

I have listened to tones of videos on various pedals. I want something that is going to push my guitar tones to breakup and somewhat beyond. My 4 watt amp is too loud for my dogs even at 1/4 watt.

My problem is, I am no good at expressing myself here
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Last edited by Shadowofravenwo at Oct 31, 2013,
So do you want the pedal to provide the dirt, or the pedal to push your amp to dirt?

If your amp doesn't have a master volume the latter isn't going to happen without encountering the volume issue. Non MV amps HAVE to be loud as hell before they break up. Whether you get there with the volume knob or by pushing the amp with a pedal is a moot point.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ agreed. while a boost will probably let you get breakup at very slightly lower volumes, there won't be that much difference. You really need a pedal to supply the dirt (i.e. an overdrive or distortion pedal, not a clean boost or very low gain overdrive) if you really want to keep the volume down with a non-master volume amp.

What type of tones are you after? "breakup and beyond" suggests to me not too high gain (so an od would likely do it), but it's better if we know for sure what you want.

EDIT: judging from your sig and what you said, I'm guessing the amp in question is the ac4? yeah if even the 1/4 watt setting is too loud, then what offworld says is right- a clean boost isn't going to do it. I quite like the sound of an sd1 for a standalone overdrive (as well as a boost), it's one of the better all-rounders in that respect, but there might be other pedals i'd rather have for standalone overdrive/distortion, too. depending on the exact type of tone(s) you want.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 31, 2013,
Push to diet preferably.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Ok, so I will look at this pedal then.

Thanks
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
i disagree with buying an OD right out of guitar center, especially ODs. there are thousands on the market.

i LOVE my signa drive and would gladly pay an extra 35 for it.

i recently stumbled onto barber effects, and this thing has me floored:
http://www.barberelectronics.com/gainchanger.html

try to some youtubes. at about 130, its a heck of a lot better.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
The problem is I live in a small city in Canada. My options really are limited. MOst mom and pop shops won't order in unless I pay in full and I'm willing to take it. I'm really limited to Long and McQuade. The used market moves really slow around here and it could be forever before anything decent pops up.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
i wouldn't worry too much, an awful lot of pedals are slight variations on existing, well-understood circuits.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
take a look at the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 tube overdrive. this pedal gives you the option for a higher gain structure (mod switch) which is good for low volume playing when you need more balls. same price as the MXR (which is a decent pedal as well.)
Quote by monwobobbo
take a look at the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 tube overdrive. this pedal gives you the option for a higher gain structure (mod switch) which is good for low volume playing when you need more balls. same price as the MXR (which is a decent pedal as well.)

I don't know where I would get it modded. I do have access to Digitech though. Is the mod hard to do? I was also under the impression Digitech was expensive pedals that were crap. I have no first hand experience other than a pedal my teacher has that has some drum presets. That pedal feels cheap for the cost.

Dave_Mc

I understand that. In fact you told me that before. But some just sound closer to the tone in my head, ya know?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Last edited by Shadowofravenwo at Nov 2, 2013,
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
I don't know where I would get it modded. I do have access to Digitech though. Is the mod hard to do? I was also under the impression Digitech was expensive pedals that were crap. I have no first hand experience other than a pedal my teacher has that has some drum presets. That pedal feels cheap for the cost.

It's not a mod, it's an actual switch on the pedal. It's not a digitech pedal, it's a Hardwire pedal. Hardwire/Digitech is like Fender/Squier or Gibson/Epiphone. The distinction is worth making.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Oh ok. Wow. The reverb and delay pedals 160+ in store. Those are the only ones I can find. Pricey.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Their Reverb and Delay are really really good for the price, easily contending with TC Electronic stuff IMO.

Their drive pedals should be a lot cheaper though, strange you can't find them.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ah ok. It's not really strange if you know Canadian Music stores. All their websites suck. Usually you have to call, or if you are lucky you can find a store that replies through social media. I'm not home and a phone is not an ideal search tool. If I didn't hate Toronto so much I would load my guitar and amp into the car and go to Steve's.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by Shadowofravenwo

Dave_Mc

I understand that. In fact you told me that before. But some just sound closer to the tone in my head, ya know?

Oh yeah, of course. Even slight mods can drastically affect how the pedal sounds and feels.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Hardwire CM-2 is only $100 new so not that expensive. you can always come down to the US to somewhere like Buffalo NY.
It's $110 new here. It would have to be more substantial savings for me to spend two hours on the road before I get to the bridge at gas prices here. Nice idea though. I do know Buffalo though. I went to D'youville for a year.

Also knowing the Canadian Border Services, I would probably have to pay duty and tax on it, further eroding any savings. The US guys were super cool.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Last edited by Shadowofravenwo at Nov 2, 2013,