Lately I've been doing multi-octave cascades of this kinda stuff, using all legato...

e|-t17-12-9---------9-12-|
B|----------10---10------|
G|-------------9---------|

But if the top and bottom notes are changed to this...

e|-t16-12-9---------9-12-|
B|----------10-9-10------|
G|-----------------------|

... is there a term for it? Just an arp with a semitone thrown in or something? IMO it sounds really cute at high tempos, especially when alternated with the the first pattern.
It simply an Amajor7 arpeggio.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Quote by adamgur96
It simply an Amajor7 arpeggio.

The 2 lowest notes being a semitone apart make it a seventh? (I know absolutely nothing about seventh chords.)
Quote by DaFjory
The 2 lowest notes being a semitone apart make it a seventh? (I know absolutely nothing about seventh chords.)

Well yes, but not because the 2 lowest notes being a semitone apart.

At the first example you were playing an Amajor arpeggio, in the second example you added a G#, which is the major seventh.

It's really that simple.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
The notes in A maj7 chord are A C# E G# (A major chord + a major 7th). A and G# are a semitone away from each other - a major 7th up is a minor 2nd down.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
What about if the notes are arranged in a combination of the 2 patterns, like this...

Is that still an Amajor7 arp, or is there something else to describe those 2 lowest notes being a semitone apart? Can an arpeggio, by that name, even have notes which are only a semitone apart?

(Yes, I'm pretty damn bad at theory.)
Quote by DaFjory
What about if the notes are arranged in a combination of the 2 patterns, like this...

Is that still an Amajor7 arp, or is there something else to describe those 2 lowest notes being a semitone apart? (Yes, I'm pretty damn bad at theory.)

Well...your notes are (in order) A, E, C#, A, G#, A, C#, E. So, yes, this is still an Amaj7 arp.

Can an arpeggio, by that name, even have notes which are only a semitone apart?

Not sure what you're asking here...

But if an arpeggio has the only following intervals: tonic, major third, perfect fifth, and major seventh; then it must be a maj7 arp. In this case, A would be the tonic, C# would be the major third, E would be the perfect fifth, and G# would be the major seventh.
Note that many people choose to notate "tonic, major third, perfect fifth, and major seventh" as "1, 3, 5, 7". Both notations mean the same thing.

If you want to understand this more, may I recommend you check out these lessons on chords?
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/40
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/45
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/48
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Those are a big help.

Something about the way in which they've broken up the intervals to explain how they relate to the tonic is making me understand the concept a bit better. It's a lot to take in because I never bothered learning anything about chords beyond just triads (shamefully so), and doing all these multi-interval arps is obviously exposing that deficiancy in knowledge.
Quote by DaFjory
Those are a big help.

Something about the way in which they've broken up the intervals to explain how they relate to the tonic is making me understand the concept a bit better. It's a lot to take in because I never bothered learning anything about chords beyond just triads (shamefully so), and doing all these multi-interval arps is obviously exposing that deficiancy in knowledge.

Glad those lessons are helping. But yeah, no worries...we've all been in your shoes.

www.music-theory.net is a great resource though, for most theory stuff.