I'm going to get my first 'real' amp in a few months time and I was wondering how I would be able to record using it without a microphone because most of the time when I record it's quite late and I wouldn't be able to mic it up. Right now I'm using a Peavey Vypyr and I usually just use the line out port direct to my sound card and simply record that way using the on board cab sim.

Obviously, most amps and amp heads don't have line out ports so I was wondering if it was possible to record using the FX send of an amp and possibly use impulses in place of a cab? If so, could I simply use a 1/4" to 1/8" jack adapter and connect the amp straight to my sound card, or would I need some sort of DI device? Also, would I still need a cab?

I think these questions might be a little noob-ish but my experience with heads and cabs is non existent as I've never used them before!
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Last edited by BlueIceBox at Oct 31, 2013,
Using FX out then through an interface and finally a cab simulator WILL absolutely work.

When you say 'sound card' do you mean the one inside your computer, or do you have an audio interface? You'll need a real interface for it to sound halfway decent, the soundcard will mangle anything you put through it, and everything will come out sounding like fizzy butt.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Using FX out then through an interface and finally a cab simulator WILL absolutely work.

When you say 'sound card' do you mean the one inside your computer, or do you have an audio interface? You'll need a real interface for it to sound halfway decent, the soundcard will mangle anything you put through it, and everything will come out sounding like fizzy butt.

+1

As you say you're going through the mic input of your PC, you need to stop what you're doing right now & go read the interfaces sticky. What you're doing is a terrible idea & may damage your PC.

Also....

Quote by BlueIceBox
Obviously, most amps and amp heads don't have line out ports so I was wondering if it was possible to record using the FX send of an amp and possibly use impulses in place of a cab?

NEVER use an amp head without a speaker cab attached. That really is a bad thing. Even worse than recording with your PCs mic input. Doing this could kill your amp.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Oct 31, 2013,
^ oh yeah, good point! Make sure the amp is hooked up to a cabinet at all times.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by BlueIceBox
I'm going to get my first 'real' amp in a few months time and I was wondering how I would be able to record using it without a microphone because most of the time when I record it's quite late and I wouldn't be able to mic it up. Right now I'm using a Peavey Vypyr and I usually just use the line out port direct to my sound card and simply record that way using the on board cab sim.

Obviously, most amps and amp heads don't have line out ports so I was wondering if it was possible to record using the FX send of an amp and possibly use impulses in place of a cab? If so, could I simply use a 1/4" to 1/8" jack adapter and connect the amp straight to my sound card, or would I need some sort of DI device?

NO! Bad BlueIceBox!

J/k. How would you know that's not good? But using your PC's line-in could potentially blow it out.

Get yourself a Scarlett 2i4, as that's a fairly common and inexpensive interface. (Don't get the 2i2; it has no instrument button.)
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 31, 2013,