Can anyone tell me what time signature a song would be in, if a single meter has 3 dotted half notes in it?

I finally decided to learn some theory, but going through this section of the book is stumping me. If you know the answer, would you mind explaining how you got the answer? thanks!

it must be compound tripple right? I just can't figure it out exact...
Last edited by dbzrkyyh at Oct 31, 2013,
Well your post is a bit confusing (and by meter i assume you mean bar) but if i got what you're saying right then let's do some simple math;

A dotted half note = 3 quarter notes

3 dotted half notes = 9 quarter notes = 9/4
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
thanks! sorry it was confusing, I meant bar not meter. I'm a noob with theory -_-.

It makes a bit more sense now.
Or it could be three bars of 3/4 which would be more common than 9/4.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Or it could be three bars of 3/4 which would be more common than 9/4.

Yeah, but TS meant that a single bar has 3 dotted half notes.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Well these 3 dotted half notes could be considered 3 dotted quarter notes if you double up the tempo and then it's be 9/8

Or you could speed it up even more and round it to 3/4 by making it simply 3 quarter notes

All in all it doesn't really matter that much though
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
I would play it like 9/8 but it could technically be 9/4. Doesn't really matter as long as its being played with the intended feel
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Yeah, but how do you know they are dotted half notes? And how do you know they are in the same bar (unless somebody tells him)? But if that's the case, 9/4 is the right answer. But if it was a real song, it would most likely be three bars of 3/4 (or one 3/4 bar of three quarter notes).

To figure it out you need to listen to the beat in the song and just count. If you know there are three dotted half notes in one bar, you need to know that a dotted half note = three quarter notes. There are three dotted half notes which means 3 x 3 quarter notes = 9 quarter notes. So the time signature is 9/4 (which means in one bar there are nine quarter note beats).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 31, 2013,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Yeah, but how do you know they are dotted half notes? And how do you know they are in the same bar (unless somebody tells him)?

I'm assuming whatever book he's working on told him.

But if that's the case, 9/4 is the right answer. But if it was a real song, it would most likely be three bars of 3/4 (or one 3/4 bar of three quarter notes).

Agreed. There's not many songs in 9/4. Although, I suppose if you get into a lot of progressive music, there might be a bar or two in 9/4. Never heard of a whole song that is in 9/4 though.