Hey all!

Recently purchased a DR Z MAZ 38 NR which came with two 1x12 cabs.

I'm just wanting to make sure I have everything connected up properly before gigging with the amp. Both cabs are 8 OHM and the head has the option to use 4, 8 and 16 Ohm.

The one cab has a customised jack socket on the inside which looks like it's used for daisy chaining. the description from the store says "The top cab is open back with a speaker in and speaker out jack socket which again was specified in the build. The bottom cab is closed back. Both cabs are loaded with Celestion Vintage 30 G12 drivers."

The store i bought the amp from advised me to run one cable from the 16 OHM output on the head, to the 8 Ohm on the first cab and then from the DR Z customised adapted installed on the amp to the second cab which also has an 8 OHM input jack.

This is what i've done, i just want to make sure this is correct?

Thanks everyone!
Last edited by Tim_Miles at Oct 31, 2013,
Yeah, that's correct!

If your speakers are wired in series, the rule is that the resulting impedance will be the sum of the impedances of your speakers.

Just so you know, if you had your speakers connected in parallel, the rule would be that the resulting impedance would be the factor of (not sure if that's the right word, it would be the result of the multiplication between) all of your speakers impedance, divided by the sum of them, so in this case (8x8)/(8+8) = 4.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Oct 31, 2013,
Brilliant, Thanks Spambot! i was trying to contact DR Z about this as i was unsure but i guess you cleared that up. So with regards to Series/Parallel. How would i connect the 2 cabs without this output socket? would i require a split Y Cable?

Also you said about being wired in series twice in the last post, i assume you meant parallel in the second sentence?

And if i ever went down that route, i'd plug straight into the 4 ohm output right?

Also while you're here, don't suppose you could recommend any good speaker cables? the ones that came with the amp look pretty awful to be honest. One of them even looks a little bent!

Thanks so much!
Last edited by Tim_Miles at Oct 31, 2013,
Aww damn, yeah I meant parallel in the second sentence, sorry :P

Since the Maz 38 only has 3 speaker outputs, each one with different impedance, you would require a split cable indeed and yes, you would connect it to the 4ohm output.

I am not good with cables brands, sorry - I buy jack leads and cable and make what I need by myself each time I need something.
Since they are power cables I'm guessing pretty much any non shielded (that part is important if you're working with more than 5w or so) cable with 1/4" leads at its ends will do, but again I'm no real expert when it comes to buying that sort of stuff so don't quote me on that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
you need to check first if daisy-chaining your cabs runs the two speakers in series or parallel. Normally it's parallel, which would result in an overall 4 ohm load, but you can do it in series too, and if the shop told you to use the 16 ohm socket on your amp, it may well be wired in series- but i'd want to check first. Would be worth an email to dr z if you can't find out for sure yourself.

I think you're in the UK, right? (remembering from your last thread) Award Session and Kabl are pretty good for not too much money. and custom made so you can get exactly what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks both for your responses, really appreciate it!

Dave i think for now i'm going to run just one of the cabinets and purchase a Y Cable as suggested on the dr z website. i contacted the dr z store and they couldnt advise me as they cannot see the set up and to look at its just a jack installed on a black metal panel. My concern now is how long it's been played in this set up and also whether the store have been demoing the amp to people trying it at loud volumes with the wrong set up. The amp sounds fine, but me being a worrier is now concerned there might be some damage to the amp!

thanks for all of your input!
a series speaker connection is quite unusual. it'd take just a moment to figure out the wiring inside the 'specially adapted cab' by either looking at the wiring in the cabinet and comparing it to diagrams online or by using a multi-meter and wiring the cabinets together either:

-check impedance. if connected in parallel the setup should be under 8 ohm and in series it should be over 8 ohms (if indeed the speakers are 8 ohm cabinets)

-to do a continuity check after disconnecting one of the cabs. if connected in parallel then the cab that is still plugged in should still complete the circuit. if connected in series then removing the plug from one cab would break the whole circuit.

since this is non-stock equipment we are talking about here i'd need to see pics of what we are dealing with to come to a sure conclusion. but i seriously doubt the 'series' connection on the cabs, it'd require an extra cable running from the closed back cab back to the open back cab i believe.

Quote by TS
The store i bought the amp from advised me to run one cable from the 16 OHM output on the head, to the 8 Ohm on the first cab and then from the DR Z customised adapted installed on the amp to the second cab which also has an 8 OHM input jack.

this sounds sketchy.

usually a cab with 'one input and one output' is generally a parallel connection to the speaker. in this case you'd wanna run it like so: 4 ohm out on the Dr. Z to one of the jacks on the OB cab and then run another speaker cable from the OB cab to the CB cab.

that would connect them in parallel usually, if the jack plate on the OB cab is indeed connected in parallel.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
yeah i'm always wary of technical advice given in shops.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank you all again for your wonderful advice and help. I don't actually have an Ohm tester so might look into that tomorrow or contact a local amp repair store for them to have a look and check it out for me. In the meantime, i'm not sure this will help but here are photographs of the said output jack and the way it's been connected. I'm essentially looking now to use a Y cable to connect the two cabs in parallel. But need to know i'll be able to do this based on this current wiring.

thank you!

Gumbilicious, here is some photos for you if you can help in anyway and anyone else for that matter!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2/tim_miles333/IMG_3426.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2/tim_miles333/IMG_3423.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2/tim_miles333/IMG_3420.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2/tim_miles333/IMG_3419.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2/tim_miles333/IMG_3418.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2/tim_miles333/image.jpeg

Here is a video that i made on my phone also. slightly unclear at first but from 30 seconds in you can see the wiring a little more clearly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P0fXeFTiRo&feature=youtu.be

thank you all so much once again!
Last edited by Tim_Miles at Nov 1, 2013,

that is the difference between the two connections.

so based on these:

i'd say they are wired together in parallel (unless i am missing something very obvious and i am a ******... err... mentally incapacitated). that means either jack on that cabinet can serve as an input (or output for a daisy chain to the other cab).

you can still get a Y cable if you want, either way will work (daisy chain or Y cable).

from now on i'd be careful of taking tech advice from that store.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 1, 2013,
yeah if you want to be sure, i know award session offers speaker cables with two inputs, and you can specify whether they're wired in series or parallel. Bit annoying since it's expense you really shouldn't have to fork out.

other slight concern being, was the shop (or the previous owner) running it at 16 ohms all the time when it should have been at 4 ohms? i think from what i've heard (could be wrong) it shouldn't do any lasting damage, either the transformer will die or not, but yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^i think it can cause some arcing across the power tube pins. you can pull the power tubes and check the pins to see if there are any burns.

i'd imagine it'd be alright with limited use and lower volume output. most 'good' amps tend to over engineer to keep this from happening (evidently they anticipate us guitarists not knowing what we're doing )

-ae
Thank you both, thats a relief! Thank you! Would it be worth getting this checked out for certain at a local amp repair shop anyway or from the pictures is it definitively parallel?

Dave, that was also a concern of mine. The amp (When cranked past 12 o clock on master + volume) does have a hiss. And a loud hum if the guitars plugged in, but that could be down to my strat picking up interference. From my understanding this amp was just a studio amp (or so the store told me) but you're right, that concern about damage came to my mind almost immediately.

What would the tell tale signs be of damage? if any? or the transformer dying? and also.. if the transformer did die, is this even fixable? (the working interior of electronic amps i know little about)

final question.. going forward.. if i use a Y cable (which i've now purchased from award session) - i went for Male jack to two male jacks so i can plug straight into the cabs without needing to buy speaker cables aswell - I assume regardless of whether I use the daisy chain OR the Y cable going forward it needs to be run from the 4 OHM output to the 8 OHM inputs on both cabs. is this correct? based on the discovery that either way it's run in Parallel?

Thank you so much for all of your help!
Last edited by Tim_Miles at Nov 1, 2013,
Quote by Tim_Miles
Would it be worth getting this checked out for certain at a local amp repair shop anyway or from the pictures is it definitively parallel?

you can if you want. the pictures make it pretty definitive that it is parallel wiring.

Quote by Tim_Miles
What would the tell tale signs be of damage? if any? or the transformer dying? and also.. if the transformer did die, is this even fixable? (the working interior of electronic amps i know little about)

from what little i know, with a mismatch of less ohms than expected you should look at the power tubes to see if any there is any arcing across the pins. that should be the main concern i believe. maybe cath will chime in?

Quote by Tim_Miles
final question.. going forward.. if i use a Y cable (which i've now purchased from award session) - i went for Male jack to two male jacks so i can plug straight into the cabs without needing to buy speaker cables aswell - I assume regardless of whether I use the daisy chain OR the Y cable going forward it needs to be run from the 4 OHM output to the 8 OHM inputs on both cabs. is this correct? based on the discovery that either way it's run in Parallel?

the Y cable will need to be made of speaker cable. a Y cable made of normal patch cord will not be acceptable for the application.

1 male connector going to 2 male connectors is what you want.

running the Y cable or the daisy chain method will hook the speakers in parallel. this will require you to turn the amp to it's 4 ohm setting.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 1, 2013,
Thanks so much once again for your informative response. i might take the amp to a local amp repair shop to see if they can service it, give it the once over and tell me what they think. I know i'm covered by warranty of the store i purchased it from so in the event of issues theres no problem me getting it sorted with them.

Just to clarify and be on the safe side, this added jack in Parallel won't alter the Ohmage of the single speaker would it? EG if i was plugging in the speaker by its self and not in a daisy chain it would still be the 8OHM output to the 8OHM cab? and also, the added "output" jack, does it look wired properly? it would appear both wires are going to the one metal point leaving one by itself as a stand alone.

Also when it comes to the Y cable, i assume i can simply pretend this extra jack socket wasn't installed and treat it as you would normally do, the way DR Z has recomended? the added jack shouldnt cause any issues for using the Y cable would it with regards to speaker power etc? (as you can tell i know absolutely nothing about electronics and wiring so i'm trying to learn everything i can and do it correct)

Thanks so much for your input i really appreciate it! you've put my mind at ease on the wiring of this thing at the very least!
Last edited by Tim_Miles at Nov 2, 2013,
gumbi will know better than me about the technical side of things. All I know is that ideally you don't want any mismatch, but some mismatches are safer than others, and you want as little mismatch as possible if you are going to mismatch. And also you can just get lucky and not do any harm (a mismatch is much less serious than no load at all, for example).

nope the added jack shouldn't affect the impedance of the speaker in the cab. nor should it affect the y-cable. far as i'm aware, anyway. but check with someone who knows more than I do.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tim_Miles
Just to clarify and be on the safe side, this added jack in Parallel won't alter the Ohmage of the single speaker would it?

no

Quote by Tim_Miles
EG if i was plugging in the speaker by its self and not in a daisy chain it would still be the 8OHM output to the 8OHM cab?

yes

Quote by Tim_Miles
and also, the added "output" jack, does it look wired properly? it would appear both wires are going to the one metal point leaving one by itself as a stand alone.

i assume you are meaning this jack?

i didn't have a complete view of that jack, so i was assuming the purple and green wires were going to two separate tabs. one should be going to the tip one one to the sleeve. if they are both going to the same tab then that is not right.

it looks like they actually used a TRS jack (instead of a TS jack) for that connection and just ignored the ring tab. which should be fine. without a complete picture it is hard to be sure though.

Also when it comes to the Y cable, i assume i can simply pretend this extra jack socket wasn't installed and treat it as you would normally do, the way DR Z has recomended?

i don't know what Dr. Z recommended, but 'yes' you can ignore the 'extra jack'.

Quote by Tim_Miles
the added jack shouldnt cause any issues for using the Y cable would it with regards to speaker power etc?

the added jack won't cause any issues.

-ae
i believe that looks right. they are definitely on different tabs. from that angle it looks more like a TS jack.

-ae
Perfect, aslong as i know it's wired in parallel and the wiring looks to be okay i know going forward i have that option. but for now think i'll use the Y cable regardless, just i feel more comfortable that way. Thanks so much Gumbilicious, you've been a life saver on this one! Local store quotes £30 just for looking at it!