I am building a kit guitar and ordered a pair of alumitone a thinking they were actual humbuckers but when Finished it and plugged it in I realized they were singles . I wanted to have something high out put for metal so I decided on some dragonfire emg copies but I also found that I liked the neck alumitone so I wanted to mix the two for ultimate tonal capabilities. I tried looking one up but there weren't any good ones that let me mix the two so I thought maybe I could use a blend pot to mix them but I only have room for three pots and maybe a mini switch
I see... Actives have built-in amps which have low-impedance outputs. Regular passives are high-impedance. You can't mix high-Z and low-Z circuits without a buffer in between.

This is from EMG's website:

"It is possible to mix EMGs with passive pickups.
There are three possible wiring configurations; one is better than the other two.

1. Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls.
The problem is that the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG's [either Full Volume or No Volume].
The passive pickups, however, will work fine.
If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative.
Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the 250K or 500k pots for the passive pickup.
This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects,
but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

2. Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG's.
The problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of high-frequency response.

3. This is the best alternative.
Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this.
With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG's.
The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone
of the passive pickups.
You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc.
For this application, we recommend ordering the PA-2 without the switch for easy installation on the inside of a guitar"
You could but you'll have major problems as outlined in the purple text above.

Just find a generic 2-pickup seymour duncan diagram with the volume and tone setup you want and replace the les-paul style switch with a pot. The 3 lugs of the switch directly transpose to the 3 lugs of a pot.

The problem with this style of "blending" though is that with the pot set to the midpoint both pickups will only be at half volume. Rotating the pot to the extremities will put the individual pickups at full volume.

Honestly the best way to do this is to have 2 volumes and no selector switch. This way you get full tonal control and each pickup individually can be at full volume, no volume, and anywhere in between. Since you are wanting to mix an active and a passive, you WILL need a preamp/buffer for the passive.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Nov 1, 2013,
A circuit that converts a high-impedance output (high resistance to ground) into a low impedance (low resistance to ground) to be compatible with a low-impedance input.

For example, if you are familiar with ohm's law, you know that the total resistance of any number of parallel resistors will always be lower that the smallest individual resistor.

Putting low resistance pots meant for actives (25k) with high impedance pickups (passives) will drag down the output voltage and kill the treble response. This is why you need a preamp or buffer to convert the output of the passive pickup to a low impedance.

It's hard to explain to someone who doesn't know electronics.
So if I had two separate volume controls for each pickup and a switch to select one or the other could that work since each pickup would have the correct pots