Page 1 of 3
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
I have been trying to find a 30th anniversary Marshall with little success. So I tried a Vintage Modern and although it does make some nice sounds the boost on it is fixed (ie no dedicated master volume when engaged) and it was a bit noisy. Quite frankly, I could build something better myself for half the money so I passed on it.

So I was offered a really good deal on this little beasty if I threw in one of my Jack Daniels Marshalls into the deal. It's brand new. In fact, the first new amp I've ever had apart from things I've built myself.

this is what I got:

It's a Randall RM100 2x12 combo. This thing is big and farkin heavy (40kg/90lb). Makes my 2x12 JCM900 combo look like a practice amp. It's a good thing I repaired my trolley, it's too heavy to carry. Hell, it'll be a two man lift just to get it on the stage.
Just to give some perspective, that's a Marshall 1960A cab it's sitting on in the picture.

I have a Tweed module (based on a Tweed Fender of some type) and the Brown module (a hotrodded JCM800 in the EVH vein). At first I accidentally grabbed a Treadplate (Recto) module instead of the Tweed. I selected what I thought was my Fender sound and got hit in the face with a Recto.

This is a serious amp. The sound it produces for a 2x12 combo running G12T75's is immense, no doubt at least in part due to the closed back cab and huge size. I'm thinking that I won't even need to run the 1960 with it. I'll be able to just stick it on a stand and go.

The thing that I love most is the power amp section. Each tube has individual probe points and bias adjusters on the back of the amp. No need to replave entire sets of tubes when you blow one, just throw in a spare and bias it up. Farkin brilliant. Can run all sorts of tubes, it's got EL34's in there atm but if I ever want to I can toss 6L6's in there (or just about any octal power tube).

Has both series and parallel loops too. How cool is that?

I'll take some more photos later. Maybe a clip or two but I haven't got my recording shit together atm.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 1, 2013,
evmac
Baroness Lover
473 IQ
This type of amplifier is new to me it sounds like a lot of fun. HNAD!
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
jpnyc
Banned
1,023 IQ
Why the **** is it so big? Are you sure it isn’t 2x18?
Seref
Gob****e
688 IQ
I was looking at the RM series a while ago. The concept was really interesting and there's a really cool market for custom built and modded modules. This made me want one again.

Grats on the find.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Quote by jpnyc
Why the **** is it so big? Are you sure it isn’t 2x18?
The only explanation I can offer is that it's a closed back cab so it has to be bigger. And it does sound huge, the bass out of the thing for a 2x12 running T75's is hard to believe.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
mulefish
UG Addict
1,968 IQ
HNGD!

Those are Egnater licensed aren't they?

I love the concept, do they sound particularly 'true' to the preamps they emulate?
RIP Gooze

cats
Shimmeh
77 IQ
So I tried a Vintage Modern and although it does make some nice sounds the boost on it is fixed (ie no dedicated master volume when engaged) and it was a bit noisy.

Not the real Cathbard.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
I meant noisy as in hiss. I could probably quieten it down with the right tubes and shit but, nah, it wasn't for me. It's a new amp, it should be quiet. The Randall is quiet with the gain dialled up.
I probably should mention, I had been using an RM100 head for a few weeks at band rehearsal lately. It belongs to the studio we use and it cost me nothing to use it. One of the Lynch heads and a matching 4x12 with greenbacks.
That's what the vintage modern was competing against. Frankly, it never stood a chance.

There is a connection between Randall and Egnater with these, there was certainly collaboration involved. How they arranged it legally I don't know,
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
gumbilicious
beginner
1,236 IQ

great get cath. looking forward to the clips

Quote by Cathbard
There is a connection between Randall and Egnater with these, there was certainly collaboration involved. How they arranged it legally I don't know,

i believe egnator licensed the technology to randall, as this amp is just about identical to the egnator version. it can even use the egnator modules in the randall amps i believe. i thought they'd give you a blank to fill in the hole in the front
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
I didn't ask. If he has one I'm sure he'd give it to me. He's looking after me very well. He let me walk away with it with $300 owing on it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
mulefish
UG Addict
1,968 IQ
Quote by gumbilicious
i thought they'd give you a blank to fill in the hole in the front

He should make his own module for it >.>
RIP Gooze

cats
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
I intend to fill it with a plexi module of some type. I'll just buy the cheapest module I can find on ebay or somewhere and mod it. In the meantime it does need a panel. I could always make one myself out of brass or aluminium. I have some there I could cut up and dress.

As for the question about how true they are to what they copy. Pretty good, but some oddities.
The Tweed module has a gain knob and a channel volume (and the global MV too) so it's its own beasty. Tweeds didn't have a gain knob. I'm running EL34's but only have the volume at about 2 o'clock so I'm not pulling any power amp distortion, Plus of course there are three preamps tubes instead of one.
BUT - with the gain turned down it's very tweed like nonetheless. Crank the gain and it sorta Marshalls up a bit. Well, not really. Really, think Neil Young with Crazy Horse but more bottom end. It's ****ing glorious.
You can run 6V6's in this. I'd think you could pretty much nail a Tweed if you did that.

The Brown module certainly has an early Eddy Van Halen vibe to it, even if not identical. It's a pretty cool thing in its own right.

The Recto module sounded pure Recto to me. I'm sure a trained ear could tell and in an A/B it may be obvious but in isolation it sounded very Rectoish. If you needed a Recto style of sound for your music, it would suffice nicely. It is very beastly. And for a combo with T75's, holy ****, man.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
what you need is a new trolly.

Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
I put bigger, better wheels on it the other day and this monster is gonna need 'em.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
awesome

really liked the one I tried
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Remnest
974 IQ
Id love to try one these, the modular concept seems very interesting. HNGD \m/
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Congrats man! Now you need the RM12!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
I haven't had a chance to crank it with the band yet but I have tried it loud enough to be heard in the next suburb and it sounds fantastic. Still, as you know, lots of things sound great until you stick them in a full mix.
We're planning on having a hit out at the shed with all our own gear before the next gig (16th Nov at this point). I use the house amp at the rehearsal studio (same business I bought my amp from) which is an RM100 head but the bass player is using a GK which pales in comparison to his MarkBass. I'll have to resurrect my rack to switch the amp too so I have a bit of work to do with the band in attendance. Then I'll know fer shure but I'm expecting big things.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Congrats man! Now you need the RM12!

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Goddamn Randalls are so ugly. Can't even deal with it.

The Vintage Modern that I've been gushing about was DEAD SILENT with the gain cranked all the way up on the low range channel. It was eerie. Very low noise on the high range channel as well. I'm sure the noise was a big reason why you got a worse impression from the VM you played. My experience was just fantastic, as I can't seem to stop saying.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
It's not just that, man. The RM100 shits all over it in every possible way (except weight of course).
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
So your thinking of giging with only the Randall and no 4x12 to go with it...........Pussy

HNAD, those are pretty cool amps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Yeah, I am actually. I just need a good stand for it. The sound it puts out is immense. It surprised me a lot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Yeah I have recently started playing with a new band and I'm running a 20 watt Krank 1980 through a 2x12 with an Eminence GB128 and WGS Reaper HP. Sounds good, sound is dispersed nice and it is less than 1/2 the weight of my normal giging rig. It is loud as hell for how small it is
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
The closed back hugeness of the Randall really fills it out too. The bass is as tight as ****. My JCM900 combo was very lacklustre until paired with the 1960 but not this thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
richardlpalmer
1,260 IQ
At the gig(s) you play, do you mic your cab(s)? Don't see the need for a 4x12 if this thing is pushing air well...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
I do but I'm usually so loud that my sound guy doesn't need to put me through the FoH. I do it so he has the option. I agree though, this thing doesn't really need the 4x12 under it. I was running my JCM900 combo icw the 1960 mainly for tone and ease of getting feedback. The JCM900 is a bit lacklustre without the 1960 but the Randall shits all over it for tone. I'm just going to need to get it off the ground for feedback purposes, the tone for a 2x12 combo is phenomenal.
I actually ran both the Randall and 1960 at rehearsal yesterday and some guy came in and asked if we could turn down a bit because he couldn't hear his TV a mile away.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
richardlpalmer
1,260 IQ
You thinking a tilt-back stand?
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Yeah. I'll probably make one myself. I want to get it at least 1 ft off the ground and tilted back a bit. I'd like it to be pointing directly at my guitar. I use feedback a lot.

Edit. My new rhythm guitarist has a GH100L and matching cab. The cab is running those shitty Seventy 80 speakers so I'm going to lend him my 1960 until he can upgrade his. The gig on Saturday will be with my old guitarist so I've decide, wtf, I'll use the 1960 as well for that one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 9, 2013,
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Sweet Cath. Can you post a picture of the back?

If my brother still has his RM50 I might take that off of his hands. I'm going to give him an amp for his studio, least he can do is give me something back. (At least for a good price)

The RM series is pretty flexible. Got to love that.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Sure. I'll take one once I've charged my phone.

I have a feeling I'll be running it with two tubes pulled. I'm gonna have to try it with 6V6's too for shits and giggles. I've got a couple laying around somewhere.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
With both panels on:

Top panel off:

They were in the back of a ute yesterday. My amps get used. Will be interested to see how well it holds up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Slap-happy
994 IQ
Nice amp, man!

Where are you playing on Saturday?
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
N_J_B_B
Nicko.
1,326 IQ
Where are the sound clips old man
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.