Hey all, I normally play hard rock/metal music and use distortion 80%+ of the time. My amp is the Peavey Transtube 212efx model I believe. The distortion sounds pretty good, but I wonder how much a dedicated pedal would make a difference. I see a lot of people using a Tube Screamer pedal - how are those? Any other recommendations?

I ordered a new guitar recently with some active EMG's and really want it to scream, so to speak! Any information is helpful. Thanks a ton!
Many people use a Tubescreamer to push the sound of their tubes, hence the name. Many Overdrive and Distortion pedals are meant for that purpose. Your amp is a solid state modeling amp. The effect most people get from the TS9/TS808 won't be achieved on yours. You'll need something that's full bodied and meant to be a stand alone.

I use a Heavy Electronics Highway 77 for that, great pedal. There are some Big Muff runs that are more overdrive than Fuzz that could fit that purpose, too. You'll probably need moreso an IC Distortion or some kind of lighter Fuzz to fit what you need.

That, or look into saving up for a good tube amp. You'll probably be looking at a Peavey Valveking. That one takes very well to pedals.

As far as your new guitar, I wouldn't expect miracles. All guitars sound pretty much the same through a budget solid state.
Quote by JustRooster
Many people use a Tubescreamer to push the sound of their tubes, hence the name. Many Overdrive and Distortion pedals are meant for that purpose. Your amp is a solid state modeling amp. The effect most people get from the TS9/TS808 won't be achieved on yours. You'll need something that's full bodied and meant to be a stand alone.

I use a Heavy Electronics Highway 77 for that, great pedal. There are some Big Muff runs that are more overdrive than Fuzz that could fit that purpose, too. You'll probably need moreso an IC Distortion or some kind of lighter Fuzz to fit what you need.

That, or look into saving up for a good tube amp. You'll probably be looking at a Peavey Valveking. That one takes very well to pedals.

As far as your new guitar, I wouldn't expect miracles. All guitars sound pretty much the same through a budget solid state.

Heard good things about the Valveking. I actually just checked GC's site and see that my nearest GC has a used one in stock for 239.99 in great condition. Is that a good deal for the Valveking 112?
Quote by JustRooster
Totes.

Haha alright. I am going to drive the 45 minutes to the store after work and check it out. Hopefully it's not beat to hell and back - but it is listed as Great condition so we will see!

Just to be sure - the Valve King 112 will produce a good sound for music like Gojira, Terror, Machine Head, Metallica, Maiden, etc? That is what I normally play. Thanks!
First off I wouldn't consider a Peavey transtube 212 a 'budget' amp. I have an old solid state XXL 212 transtube amp (all analog, no digital modeling) and it's pretty good.

Also, I think you'll see a difference with your new guitar. I also just got a guitar with EMG 81/85 and it sounds quite different from my Les Paul Studio with the same exact amp settings. If you're going from a single coil guitar to EMGs it will be a huge difference.

Last thing... I'm sure with some good pedals the Valve King can sound good for metal but do you think you can stretch for the Peavey 6505 at some point? It would work well with those EMGs and will definitely scream and you probably would have no need for a distortion or overdrive pedal.
Eh, the 6505 is a bit more than I would like to spend. I would more than likely be keeping my Transtube 212 as it was my first amp and I have some nostalgic value tied to it haha. Years ago when I was in a band (played drums in it) the guitar player had a small Peavey tube amp but my god that thing was awesome.
Valveking can do metal with a tubescreamer as a boost (I say its almost required. The built in gain boost is fizzy crap. Disable it and overdrive the amp to hell with a good boost pedal instead) and a good speaker and do it well but I say keep saving. There are better amps around. The bigger Peavey Transtube amps are good enough 'till you can do a serious upgrade.

Distortion pedals require a good and rich clean channel to work at their best and solid states tend to be very sterile. Pedals run through them tend to sound small for the lack of better word. The amps own distortion channel will murder it I'm sure of it. Putted through a good tube amp with rich cleans however and a proper distortion pedal can really shine. That said, Valveking clean channel takes distortion pedals really well.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Personally, I would say that getting a new amp would give you more oomph than a pedal. Preferably a tube amp designed for high gain, since you say you play Hard Rock/Metal.
To me you have two choices.
1. Take your amp to a shop and try out pedals and spend $100-$200.
2. Save up for a high gain amp. 60W 6505s are $450 used or $600 new.
It doesn't make sense to me to buy a $300 amp and $100 pedal when for 100-200 dollars more you could have an amp made for metal.
There are too many variables that come into play on whether a distortion pedal would be a good or bad purchase for you.
I recommend buying a software modelling package and gaining knowledge from the amp/pedal/cabinet simulations. And then go and buy the real gear you need. It's a much quicker and convenient way of finding a tone than spending years and a lot of money trying out various real amps and pedals.
A tube amp with a pedal in front of it is usually going to sound better than a solid-state amp.

I think it's a better investment for the future to just buy a good tube amp with some overdrive knobs on it. In my case, I was given a tube amp that just wouldn't distort on its own at practice levels, so I had to use pedals.
I recommend not buying a $200 amp. Ideally, make do with what you have and save a few hundred more. With $600 you could get a really nice sounding amp to do exactly what you need and much more.

If you're desperate, buy a distortion pedal. I have an EHX metal muff and it sounds great. But, there really is no point just blowing your $200 on mediocre gear every time you save up a little bit of cash. In the long run you'll waste more money than if you just make do with what you have now until you can get something decent.

I would save my cash for a new amplifier if I were in your position.
I use a valveking for practice and as a take to jams amp. it will get you a decent metal sound with some tweaking. don't expect to nail the tones you metioned. the gain boost is useful if the gain is kept below 6 and isn't really fizzy with some eq adjustments. I rarely have my gain above 4. as mentioned slapping an overdrive pedal in front will help a lot. for the price you mentioned it's a good deal if in good shape. a VK is a good backup amp or as I use for practice or just something to take around when lugging my very heavy Peavey Ultra 212 isn't a good plan.
Quote by Dinglebuttz

Just to be sure - the Valve King 112 will produce a good sound for music like Gojira, Terror, Machine Head, Metallica, Maiden, etc? That is what I normally play. Thanks!

No. Don't even waste your time with a ValveKing for that. It's not a metal amp.

For that range, look at the Jet City JCA2212C. You will definitely need a TS in front for Gojira/Machine Head, but on it's own it'll be good for the more classic metal.

Alternatively, the 6505+ 112 would be a great choice, and it is absolutely worth saving up for.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 2, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
No. Don't even waste your time with a ValveKing for that. It's not a metal amp.

For that range, look at the Jet City JCA2212C. You will definitely need a TS in front for Gojira/Machine Head, but on it's own it'll be good for the more classic metal.

Alternatively, the 6505+ 112 would be a great choice, and it is absolutely worth saving up for.

well he did mention Iron Maiden and Metallica which the VK can manage. agree that the 6505+ would be a better choice for the heavier downtuned stuff for sure. if a VK is all he can find and afford he could do worse just as long as it's with the knowledge that it's not a metal machine.
I am also on the 6505+ bandwagon. Distortion pedals simply won't produce good sound on a solid state amp; however, if you're definitely leaning distortion pedal over buying a new amp, then look at the Digitech TL-2 Metal Distortion, MXR Fullbore Metal, or the Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Well, Just looked again and the Valve King 112 is on sale (used) right now for $189.99. I feel like that is almost too good to pass up. I can get that and a decent OD/Distortion pedal for the same price it was (239.99) a few days ago. Should I go ahead and pick it up tomorrow?
That's a very good price for a used tube amp. One of my buddies used one in our metal band, but the distortion from the amp wasn't strong enough for our tastes so he used pedals to flesh it out. That being said, the clean channel is quite nice, and buying an overdrive/distortion pedal will set you up nicely for a wide range of styles.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Dinglebuttz
Well, Just looked again and the Valve King 112 is on sale (used) right now for $189.99. I feel like that is almost too good to pass up. I can get that and a decent OD/Distortion pedal for the same price it was (239.99) a few days ago. Should I go ahead and pick it up tomorrow?

That is a good price in my opinion. Grab a Bad Monkey overdrive pedal and you are good to go.

Its a good amp. As a hint, ignore the built in gain boost and rely on the boost pedal. The built in one is fizzy shit, (unless you need some fizz that is) but with a boost pedal the amp has all the gain most people should need, and I am a metalhead high gain junkie. Set the pedal as volume/level to max and gain quite low, even off as the pedal distortion is not necessarily the point in boosting.

Also put a patch cable into the FX Loop if its not in use for EQ pedals and such. Dunno why but its a tone sucker and bridging it with patch cable improves clarity.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 5, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
That is a good price in my opinion. Grab a Bad Monkey overdrive pedal and you are good to go.

Its a good amp. As a hint, ignore the built in gain boost and rely on the boost pedal. The built in one is fizzy shit, (unless you need some fizz that is) but with a boost pedal the amp has all the gain most people should need, and I am a metalhead high gain junkie. Set the pedal as volume/level to max and gain quite low, even off as the pedal distortion is not necessarily the point in boosting.

Also put a patch cable into the FX Loop if its not in use for EQ pedals and such. Dunno why but its a tone sucker and bridging it with patch cable improves clarity.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably pick it up after work I am conflicted though - my new guitar was shipped today so I want to hurry home to play it, but the amp might sell before I get there so I guess I'll delay seeing my guitar ASAP!
Purchased the valve king 112 and love it already. Pretty awesome Maiden sound with the stock amp. Thinking I may get a ts9 for the heavier stuff but it already sounds a lot better then the transtube amp. New guitar came in as well and I love it as well. First guitar with active pickups/EMG's. Setup on it is great and sounds awesome.

Today... Was a good day!
Quote by Dinglebuttz
Purchased the valve king 112 and love it already. Pretty awesome Maiden sound with the stock amp. Thinking I may get a ts9 for the heavier stuff but it already sounds a lot better then the transtube amp. New guitar came in as well and I love it as well. First guitar with active pickups/EMG's. Setup on it is great and sounds awesome.

Today... Was a good day!

Glad it worked out, and congrats on the new amp!
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Dinglebuttz

Today... Was a good day!

Happy new amp day. You did get an excellent combination with the guitar and the amp. Valveking on its own is not really a modern high gain amp (atleast without the gain boost engaged which is a solid state clipping circuit and not a very good one) but with very hot pickups like your EMG actives and a boost pedal its capable of some great br00tz tones. With my Dimarzio X2N + Bad Monkey its brutal with gain only 2 a'clock.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Happy new amp day. You did get an excellent combination with the guitar and the amp. Valveking on its own is not really a modern high gain amp (atleast without the gain boost engaged which is a solid state clipping circuit and not a very good one) but with very hot pickups like your EMG actives and a boost pedal its capable of some great br00tz tones. With my Dimarzio X2N + Bad Monkey its brutal with gain only 2 a'clock.

Thanks! I actually had just ordered a Bad Monkey and another cable this morning! Can't wait for it to come in.
I have a vk100 as my main amp. If youre looking for metal, youre going to need a couple pedals....

1) an od pedal as already mentioned. Just pushes the tubes to distort quite a bit better.

2) an eq pedal. helps to dial back some really annoying frequencies the vk produces. I have a boss 7 band, i'd rather have a mxr 10 band. once dialed in the difference is huge.

3) a volume pedal. The vk doesnt have a master volume, adding a volume pedal in the fx loop basically adds one, allowing you to push your tubes harder at more reasonable volumes

4) If you like your metal loud you're going to want a noise gate at the end of your chain unless you like the sound of uncontrollable feed-back. up in the air as to which one is best. really helps with the sound of palm muted chugg type riffing too.

5) last but not least throw a bbe sonic maximizer in the loop. Not sure how it does it, but it adds presence and clarity that when added to thick distortion sounds like it came from heaven(or hell your choice)

With a vk, some decent speakers(I run celestion g12s), and those 5 pedals your amp will sound absolutely legit... professional even. And the pedals will all be useful no matter what amp you get eventually. Even with the all powerful 6505 you'll still benefit from them.
Quote by wildozer
I recommend not buying a $200 amp.

My $240 Jet City 20W head is pretty darn cool.