I am starting to look around for a used SG on craigs. I do not know very much about the value of them used. Do they follow close to the same used value as a strat might? Meaning the standard $1299 model in good shape used would hit about $750-$800 used? I realize this is a very broad question with many variables... i just mean in general.

There is a 2002 Standard SG (heritage cherry) that has upgraded pickups but comes with the originals as well in mint condition for $850. I was going to roll up with $750 (or $775) and see where it goes after i play it a little. Thoughts? I am a complete noob in the Gibson SG world, i have had many other guitars but never an SG for some reason so ANY input would be appreciated.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
That's a fair offer. I bought my Cherry '03 SG Standard in '05 for $600 in brand new condition with the case and everything. Not a scratch on it. That was a VERY good deal, especially considering how new it was.

Anything from $700-800 is fair for that guitar, you're not getting ripped off at $850, I can tell you that much. Remember that for a while (and maybe still?) the heritage cherry finish is an extra cost at retail. Also, you're getting bonus pickups. They have very low resale for some reason, so take advantage of that and get a killer guitar!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by JustRooster
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32051700#post32051700

That's a link to the big UG users thread. Asking about prices there might be a good choice. That price seems about fair, if maybe a little bloated. I'd offer $750. He may deny you at first, but that kind of cash offer will sit in a seller's mind for a few days.

Thanks rooster, i always trust your opinion a great deal. Upon further review of the ad it has a lot going for it and is a 2005 not a 2002 as i originally stated (here is what the listing reads - "2005 Gibson SG standard in excellent condition with original hard case, upgraded pickups to Gibson Burst Bucker pro on the neck and the Angus Signature on the bridge. Also have the original pickups included") But as you say, i will probably throw out a $750 to see how it goes from there. is sure is a creamy looking guitar! I just have to try to not fall in love with it before i actually play it.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
I'm not an expert on SG's, so I'm not sure of the difference between the years, but as far as I know Gibson hasn't changed the formula much if at all. Good luck!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
thanks, hopefully i will have a new pic and story to add to the SG users unite thread come monday.
Quote by BlackVoid
Good luck with your offer! Hopefully the guy(or girl) takes it.

Remember, with those particular pickups, you can re-sell either the ones in there or the old ones and make back at LEAST $100 pretty quickly. Keep that in mind if the seller won't budge on the price.

Oh, and as far as major changes to the SG over the years, they haven't made any big ones until fairly recently when they switched the TOM bridge for Nashville Style. The TOM is pretty much better across the board if you ask anyone. There are countless threads online about switching from Nashville to TOM and like ONE thread the other way around. The other major change is that within in the last 2 years or so, they made the slim '61 style pickguard standard. There should be virtually no difference between an 02 and 05, other than your usual craft variances across any production line.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Nov 1, 2013,
well, the end of this tale is i cancelled the meeting. I went to the local Big Box Guitar place and pulled down an SG standard and played it for a while, then pulled down a Strat standard and play that for a while and decided to keep saving for my strat deluxe and skip the SG.
Quote by BlackVoid
Quote by zenbone
well, the end of this tale is i cancelled the meeting. I went to the local Big Box Guitar place and pulled down an SG standard and played it for a while, then pulled down a Strat standard and play that for a while and decided to keep saving for my strat deluxe and skip the SG.

I guess someone should have warned you - practically EVERY SG Standard plays/feels different. It's bizarre, but I've never played another SG that feels as good as mine does. It's hit and miss, and one that's been played for a while and is considerably older should feel much nicer than a sticky fresh one on the wall.

Then again, if you have a strat itch, an SG is the worth possible this to buy. Total opposites. Good luck on your search!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
I guess someone should have warned you - practically EVERY SG Standard plays/feels different. It's bizarre, but I've never played another SG that feels as good as mine does. It's hit and miss, and one that's been played for a while and is considerably older should feel much nicer than a sticky fresh one on the wall.

Then again, if you have a strat itch, an SG is the worth possible this to buy. Total opposites. Good luck on your search!

I agree. I played probably a half-dozen SG's of various flavors, and not one was any good to me. One didn't even have working pickups (I checked the amp and cables with other guitars). Then I found the one I have, loved it, and bought it.

Each SG plays different. I love mine (not a standard, but still. I liked it better than the Standards I played), but there were a few I wouldn't give a First Act in straight trade for.
Last edited by azrael4h at Nov 4, 2013,