So a Big Muff is next on my list for pedals and I can't decide between the two. I want a good fuzz that has a really nice bass and can get really fuzz but i also want it to be a lighter distortion/fuzz to get a Led Zeppelin tone.

I am looking for pedal that can achieve Jimi Hendrix, The Black Keys, The White Stripes(Jack White), Led Zeppelin, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins and some other bands that are similar.

I have a Boss DS-1 and a BD-2 and I can use those to get a Nirvana kind of tone. So i don't want anything to similar to those but I want something versatile.

I play a strat and a tele. I don't really want anything other than these two but if there is something under $100 dollars that is close and versatile I am open to new suggestions. I like the tone a big muff pi but I want to know if I can still get the same tone on the tone wicker model but with more options. I don't want to get the Tone Wicker if it is going to be very different from the original.

Thanks
a muff is a much more modern, saturated type of tone. i'm not sure i'd want one for hendrix and led zep.

I haven't tried the wicker version so I can't help with which might be better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The tone wicker very similar to the standard one but with a switch to take the tone stack out and a switch to take the capacitors in the feedback loop to add more high end in the distortion. If you're gonna go for a muff I'd recommend going for the tone wicker.

For a hendrix sound I'd recommend a fuzz face, and for zepplin I'd recommend a tone bender. The muff will do pumpkins and jack white sounds pretty convincingly though as they've both famously used them.
For the bands you listed, I would actually get a Way Huge Swollen Pickle. The WHSP has the most perfect Smashing Pumpkins sound, and it cleans up well enough for 70's styles.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Nov 1, 2013,
Out of the two, I'd pick the original Big Muff. But JustRooster has the right idea. Swollen Pickle is very versatile. But you gotta play with it a bit to get what you want.
It's my understanding that a Muff isn't even truely a fuzz, but a distortion (albeit a fuzzy one).

Check out a Fuzz Face or Rangemaster!
Quote by JustRooster
For the bands you listed, I would actually get a Way Huge Swollen Pickle. The WHSP has the most perfect Smashing Pumpkins sound, and it cleans up well enough for 70's styles.

+1

In any case I would not get a muff. You want way too much versatility for what it will give you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have the tone wicker one, its much more pedalboard friendly. That was they big selling point for me. And it sounds close enough to a standard big muff, I haven't had the opportunity to do a side by side comparison though