Does anyone know where I can find an Ibanez AR model unfinished body? Preferrably with binding. I've searched high and low, even for copy's, but to no avail. I would like to find one unfininshed, with or without hardware, like a kit... but hardware is not necessary. I've been looking for kit's to build my own and customize it, but I only found a LP copy that I like... If anyone could give me a direction or a link, I would be extremely grateful.
I think unless you get crazy lucky the best you're going to get is to buy a beat up, used one and then strip it yourself. Maybe someplace like Warmoth would make you one, or you could get a blank and cut it to the right dimensions.
Does anyone know what sort of finish is on the AR models? Nitrocellulose is pretty easy to take to unfinished with chemical stripping. Poly, however, is a pain in the ass. I've tried.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I don't think you're going to find it like that for an AR, you may have better luck finding a broken Gibson es-335 studio or a copy of a es-335 studio body. Which leads me to my next question, do you want the Single cutaway artist like the newer models or double cutaway like the classics? I think your best bet is to find a used one on ebay & take the paint off, you might even be able to find the color you want by searching for Ibanez Artist on there. If you don't mind the newer models being made in China you can get the classic body & a neck loaded with inlays for around $300+. I stripped the paint on a RG7321 a few years back, it was a pain in the ass.
Quote by JustRooster
Does anyone know what sort of finish is on the AR models? Nitrocellulose is pretty easy to take to unfinished with chemical stripping. Poly, however, is a pain in the ass. I've tried.

It's poly.

Since they first came out in the 70's.

I don't know of *anyone* who makes a kit for these.
Damn, that sucks... I was really trying to avoid getting a used one and stripping it... I don't mind it being made overseas... I've got a lawsuit era Conrad LP and it plays just as good, if not better, than modern Gibson Models, feels about the same as a 70's Gibson, just needs new pups. I like the body style, and the shape. It was comfortable when I demo'ed it at GC. I'm trying to find one with cream binding, if I have to I can age it myself. I don't mind painting a finishing it myself, but I know what a pain they can be to strip them... furniture in shop was enough of that experience. Now I ask, if I have to strip it, is there any color that would clean better?
Quote by DoubleBassCrash
I don't think you're going to find it like that for an AR, you may have better luck finding a broken Gibson es-335 studio or a copy of a es-335 studio body. Which leads me to my next question, do you want the Single cutaway artist like the newer models or double cutaway like the classics? I think your best bet is to find a used one on ebay & take the paint off, you might even be able to find the color you want by searching for Ibanez Artist on there. If you don't mind the newer models being made in China you can get the classic body & a neck loaded with inlays for around $300+. I stripped the paint on a RG7321 a few years back, it was a pain in the ass.

Eh the Gibson's horns are too rounded, I like the sharpness of the Ibanez. As far as the cutaway, single is a bit more my 'speed'. I can't play all that well, due to physical disabilities, so I don't need the playability of a double. I was thinking of just getting a body on eBay, and just getting a separate neck to fit, but it raised another few questions. First, as far as a bolt on or set in neck, which one is better/has better feel, if at all? And what paint/finish should be used if I strip it and repaint it?
Quote by Jason43
Unless you find one of the very rare, early Artists, set neck is your only option.

Understandable, but is there any difference in feel? While I like the look of a set in neck, not a fan of the bolt plates, I am extremely unsure if I can replicate, or copy how the paint looks. If that is something that I should be worried about. I've only been playing for 7 years, and I'm not all that great, but I can't find a guitar I really like, and this was recommended to me by a friend who is a guitar repair tech. I'm just new to this whole thing, so I've got a lot of questions. If I start rambling or being annoying, just say. I'm just trying to make sure I really like what I create. Side question, should I get any specific kind of wood glue, to glue it in, if I can't find an old one to refinish, or would regular wood glue work, cause I've been using Elmer's Wood Glue.