I know this is like comparing apples and oranges (no SP reference intended) but i wanted to see what you guys thought. On one hand you have the whiny voiced perfectionist/genius and on the other you have the blonde-haired punk with natural talent who knows how to play powerchords. Both are very influential bands of the nineties with completely different styles and members but only one shall come out on top. My guess is that most people are gonna say nirvana cos they're more popular and more people like them but my choice is the pumpkins because billy is a phenomenal guitar player and songwriter although he could never make melodies as good as kurt could. RIP kurt the right-handed left-hander and RIP billy's hair.

Crisco Twister
Nirvana. At least for me, not because they're popular, ok, maybe because of this I first listen to Nirvana but I tried to listen to Smashing and...don't get it honestly so I don't hear them.

Score 1 - 1
Corgan can never make melodies as good as Kurt? Wow that's a statement. Nirvana are the more popular, it was the nevermind album that took the spotlight away from the Pumpkins. SP are a massively underrated band.
Smashing Pumpkins for me, defiantly. I never really enjoyed Nirvana, at least not as much
as everyone else has.
Taking over the world, one ice rink at a time.
Neither.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have more respect for Nirvana, as they were one of the first bands that showed up on stage in jeans, T-shirts and Grunge boots and played the music that they wanted to play. They didn't let any other band or record company tell them what to play. With that said, they both came around at the same time, but Nirvana became popular much more quickly. SP had a more light sound than Nirvana, Which made them really unique. Billy Corgan is not my favorite guitarist, but neither is Kurt Cobain. I think that they are different, but if I had to choose, Nirvana all the way. They are better Musicians in my opinion.
Quote by West Riding
Corgan can never make melodies as good as Kurt? Wow that's a statement. Nirvana are the more popular, it was the nevermind album that took the spotlight away from the Pumpkins. SP are a massively underrated band.

yeah i guess that was a bit harsh considering the melodies on songs like rocket but i like the pumpkins for other things like their technical ability and they're much more creative than nirvana.
Quote by sovaso
I have more respect for Nirvana, as they were one of the first bands that showed up on stage in jeans, T-shirts and Grunge boots and played the music that they wanted to play. They didn't let any other band or record company tell them what to play. With that said, they both came around at the same time, but Nirvana became popular much more quickly. SP had a more light sound than Nirvana, Which made them really unique. Billy Corgan is not my favorite guitarist, but neither is Kurt Cobain. I think that they are different, but if I had to choose, Nirvana all the way. They are better Musicians in my opinion.

in what way do you mean they are better musicians?
I personally enjoy Nirvana more, but that just might be because Cobain died before Nirvana made any bad albums.

Corgan wasn't so lucky.
Quote by Milan Fistonich
in what way do you mean they are better musicians?

I mean that they had Guts and they could play insanely catchy tunes that would become instant classics. Plus Dave Grohl was and is one of the best drummers in the universe, and Cobain's Crude and raw guitar playing was revolutionary. He was also a fine guitarist in his own right. Sure he's a little overrated but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3WAqNJuDR5s

Don't get me wrong. I like the Smashing Pumpkins, but I just like Nirvana more.
I mean that they had Guts and they could play insanely catchy RS Gold tunes that would become instant classics. Plus Dave Grohl was and is one of Diablo 3 Gold the best drummers in the universe, and Cobain's Crude and raw guitar playing was revolutionary. He was also a fine guitarist Guild Wars 2 Gold in his own right. Sure he's a little overrated
Quote by sovaso
I mean that they had Guts and they could play insanely catchy tunes that would become instant classics. Plus Dave Grohl was and is one of the best drummers in the universe, and Cobain's Crude and raw guitar playing was revolutionary. He was also a fine guitarist in his own right. Sure he's a little overrated but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3WAqNJuDR5s

Don't get me wrong. I like the Smashing Pumpkins, but I just like Nirvana more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hYPo2py77A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8uvZBH225o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT8RSSikRUc
yeah i like kurt and dave is one of my fav drummers, but i think that billy and jimmy are better musicians. but the other pumpkins were kinda shit