I bought the Suhr Riot Distortion based on the strength of a few videos and a bunch of recommendations on various forums, so before I say anything about it, I want to take full responsibility for not being as responsible a shopper as I should have been.

That said, I hate this pedal. I'm running a 2013 American Strat through a Peavey Delta Blues 115. I play mostly originals but my favorite tones are SRV, John Mayer, Clapton and the like. I really love that strat through an overdriven tube amp sound. I do on occasion play some stuff that requires some crunch. I love Slash and GNr and i absolutely love Slash's tone but I know that's not going to be a possibility with my rig.

I had hoped the riot would get me somewhat close to either of these tones, but it doesn't seem to be at all. i've played around with it a lot and all i can get is a really gross, muddy, middling distortion or what I would describe as a layer of fizz over the top of everything, which is also undesirable. Even when I have the drive on almost 0 and the level all the way up to attempt to use it as overdrive, it dampens the tone. My tone sounds much better without the pedal in the chain at all, and at $200 for this pedal, that is pretty disappointing.

I should also say that I run this through the front of my amp and not the FX loop..which i was told to do. Is this wrong?

I'm just wondering what gives and what pedal I should get instead when I eventually sell this one. I tried the boss blues driver today and an ibanez tube screamer, and i didn't really love either of those either, yet they brought me a lot closer to what i want than the suhr. Sorry for whining guys thanks.
You're supposed to run it up front, but that pedal is a horrible match for your amp. Probably most will be. And the Riot isn't meant for GNR tones.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
You're supposed to run it up front, but that pedal is a horrible match for your amp. Probably most will be. And the Riot isn't meant for GNR tones.

Why is that? I was told that this amp is very versatile and "takes pedals great" just like the fender blues jr. What pedal would get my rig close to the tones i desire? (SRV/Gnr stuff)
The Riot to me sounds like somewhere bewteen hotrodded JCM and Recto, not what you want for those tones.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by RyanMW2010
Why is that? I was told that this amp is very versatile and "takes pedals great" just like the fender blues jr. What pedal would get my rig close to the tones i desire? (SRV/Gnr stuff)

Well, for one, a 15" speaker isn't fantastic for your typical distortion tones (though they're fantastic for stuff like doom/stoner where you need a big, sort of loose low end), especially the stock one in the Delta Blues. The Riot has a **** ton of bass, and is a bit scooped, which is accentuated by your amp's speaker and circuit, and results in a muddy mess. The Blues Jr. is a pretty meh pedal amp also, IMO. I've had 3 Riots, and my first was used with a Blues Jr. It was absolutely horrid and I couldn't get rid of the Riot fast enough. Then I bought a CAA OD100, a Diezel, a Princeton Reverb, etc. and bought two more Riots by mistake. They sounded fantastic through those amps. But they definitely weren't voiced for Slash tones.

You might want to try a Crunch Box.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by tas38
The Riot to me sounds like somewhere bewteen hotrodded JCM and Recto, not what you want for those tones.

Any recommendations? The Riot is expensive and barely used so I could probably get a fair resale price on it, and i would be looking to pick up a pedal that actually does do what i want in its place.
You'll get maybe $140 used for the Riot. Return it if you're within the return period.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
You'll get maybe $140 used for the Riot. Return it if you're within the return period.

I think I got it from Amazon..maybe in ...August? I'll check. Thanks. I don't have the box or anything anymore though so not sure how that all works.
FWIW I really don't intend on defacing Suhr. I got this pedal because I love Guthrie Govan and I'm an irresponsible shopper. It just doesn't do what *I* want, for my needs.
Don't worry about it. I trashed the hell out of that pedal the first time I own it. Just trying to help you get something you do like. You'll want something with loads of mids, which the Crunch Box most definitely has. The latest version is great.

And on the box, I don't think Amazon would take it back, at least not without a restocking fee. And unfortunately, your typical Suhr customer is pretty picky about packaging, so you might get even less for it used. For future reference, if you're unsure about a pedal, keep the box/papers. At least if it's worth a decent bit of money.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Don't worry about it. I trashed the hell out of that pedal the first time I own it. Just trying to help you get something you do like. You'll want something with loads of mids, which the Crunch Box most definitely has. The latest version is great.

And on the box, I don't think Amazon would take it back, at least not without a restocking fee. And unfortunately, your typical Suhr customer is pretty picky about packaging, so you might get even less for it used. For future reference, if you're unsure about a pedal, keep the box/papers. At least if it's worth a decent bit of money.

Yeah, I'm a dummy. Maybe I can sell it to the local music store or I'll just put it on ebay. I'd be happy to get $100 for it.
You should definitely be able to get more than $100.

Oh, and I almost forgot that Carl Martin came out with a single unit Plexitone last year. That should be right up your alley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMmK0VwYR2M
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

^ if my joyo hot plexi is a clone of it (i suspect it is, but that hasn't been confirmed), it's not that saturated. It's more early van halen than guns n roses (though boosting it with an od pedal would help). Going by my joyo crunchbox clone, i'd say the crunchbox is a better call for g n r.

EDIT: don't get me wrong- it's a really nice pedal and i like it a lot. Just for what he wants, i think the CB might be better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mmolteratx
bought two more Riots by mistake.

How do you buy two pedals by mistake??
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ if my joyo hot plexi is a clone of it (i suspect it is, but that hasn't been confirmed), it's not that saturated. It's more early van halen than guns n roses (though boosting it with an od pedal would help). Going by my joyo crunchbox clone, i'd say the crunchbox is a better call for g n r.

EDIT: don't get me wrong- it's a really nice pedal and i like it a lot. Just for what he wants, i think the CB might be better.

Wasn't the Hot Plexi a Wampler clone? I dunno, I haven't been keeping up with it. And the Plexitone has absolute ass loads of gain and saturation. At least the original did. One of the gainiest pedals ever. Crunch Box certainly wouldn't be a bad choice though.

Quote by RyanMW2010
Which Crunch box? the joyo or the m-audio?

MI Audio is safer, as we know what it is, but the Joyo stuff is usually pretty good.

EDIT: FWIW, Prymaxe Vintage has both the Super Crunch Box ($150) and Plexitone ($188), and almost always has a 15% off coupon, and a 30 day return policy, so you could buy both if you can front the money and then return whichever one you don't like.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Nov 2, 2013,
Quote by mmolteratx
Wasn't the Hot Plexi a Wampler clone? I dunno, I haven't been keeping up with it. And the Plexitone has absolute ass loads of gain and saturation. At least the original did. One of the gainiest pedals ever. Crunch Box certainly wouldn't be a bad choice though.

MI Audio is safer, as we know what it is, but the Joyo stuff is usually pretty good.

EDIT: FWIW, Prymaxe Vintage has both the Super Crunch Box ($150) and Plexitone ($188), and almost always has a 15% off coupon, and a 30 day return policy, so you could buy both if you can front the money and then return whichever one you don't like.

that sounds pretty great, thanks. I need to sell my riot distortion first, though. And knowing me, I might want to keep both pedals.
Quote by mmolteratx

Everyone said it was, but I've never come across anyone who actually reversed it. Far as I can tell, someone on freestompboxes wondered if it might be a wampler clone, and everyone else just kinda repeated that.

I know donner deal/marc mart in an email claimed it was a wampler clone, but then they say a lot of things

I know on the clips I've heard on the wampler and carl martin sites (I know, I know, I'm well aware that's nowhere near conclusive ) the carl martin sounds far closer to my joyo than the wampler does.

If the plexitone is very saturated, though (i mean the new carl martin single pedal version), then that would suggest the joyo isn't a clone of it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 2, 2013,