For some reason, I feel as if the jangle pop guitarists of the 80's such as Peter Buck, Johnny Marr, and Mike Campbell aren't talked about enough at least on this forum. Each are influential and have contributed to to alternative rock.
Taking over the world, one ice rink at a time.
its because all they played ever was beginner music, so no one learning guitar really cares to discuss them, as six months to a year in they could play their entire libraries
Quote by Bad Kharmel
its because all they played ever was beginner music, so no one learning guitar really cares to discuss them, as six months to a year in they could play their entire libraries

Not entirely true, Marr especially a is very talented guitarist. I've been playing for close to year and I find Jimi Hendrix's work far easier than his personally. All I'm saying is despite their influence they aren't really talked about.
Taking over the world, one ice rink at a time.
Last edited by SatanicPenguin at Nov 2, 2013,
That's because this is mainly a website of metal fans, as evidenced by the weekly polls, but they are fantastic players, Mike Campbell might be the most underrated rock lead guitarist in rock history. Johnny Marr's got a totally unique style too same with Peter Buck.
I absolutely adore this solo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXYl5NrHPb4
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by SatanicPenguin
Peter Buck, Johnny Marr, and Mike Campbell .

These guys are SO underrated. Mike Campbell is probably one of the most underrated guitarists ever. Not only his Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers work, but just listen to his playing on Don Henley's "Boys of Summer". Classic. Johnny Marr is also one of the most underrated guitarist ever. His influence is huge.

All you have to do is listen to the catalogs of REM and The Smiths. Their sounds, playing and style defined the music of the 2 biggest and most influential "indie" bands of the 80s.

Shit, R.E.M was even one of the biggest rock groups in the world in the early 90's.

Quote by Bad Kharmel

Oh, please dude. That's the lamest shit I've heard. Beginner music?? :roll eyes:

No one discusses them because the same people you talk about don't REALLY hear and understand substance in guitar playing and music. They just focus on technique and how many notes a second a guitarist can play. Technique is not everything. It's not the only measure of what makes a guitarist great. The same people you talk about think The Edge is overrated.
What does this "jingley-jangly" mean?! lolol
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
These are wonderful guitars to use. These have wonderful voice and also high.