Hi guys, long time no see

I have been playing digitally for some time due to recording ease. In a few days i will be getting my American telecaster though and i want to move back to tube amps. My knowledge about amps is nihil though.

To be clear, i don't want you to tell me what amp to buy, but rather suggest me which amps i should try out when i go to the store.

Here's what it needs:
-2 channels. I switch between clean and much gain quite often in my songs.
- chimey vox-like cleans.
-Enough gain. I need quite some gain (i play music like a lot like birds, dance gavin dance, I, the mighty etc...)

My budget is 800 euro's. So i'd like the amp to be around that price. It can be a bit more or less.

EDIT: i stumbled upon the Blackstar HT 20. Any experiences with that amp?

Thanks in advace guys!
Last edited by AEnesidem at Nov 2, 2013,
just in case you don't know, the blackstar HT is hybrid, not all-tube.

voxy cleans combined with high gain might be a problem. There might be something i'm forgetting, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Jet City JCA2212/JCA22H
Egnater Rebel, though I'm not sure it has 2 channels
Bogner Alchemist, it probably doesn't have a lot of chime to it but it's worth a try anyway

I yet have to hear vox like chimes coming out of an HT series blackstar.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The Rebel 30 has 2 channels. Imo the best midgain amp in that range.

I can get a pretty good chimey tone outta my Rebel and tele.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Nov 2, 2013,
The Jet City will defiantly get the distortion that you're looking for, it may not get as clean as you like thought. Especially the 22watt version.

I can keep my JCA50H pretty damn clean by turning the gain to about 1, and crank the master up. If you're going to go the JCA route, I'd look at the 50 or 100, just to have more headroom.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Thing about the Jet City is that (I don't think) you can't test it out anywhere in Belgium. I tried to find one, but there doesn't seem to be a dealer :p
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
^ You can buy them at Thomann, but testing them would be a problem.

My Laney VC30 is good for cleans, it could be described as a bit vox-like, and the drive channel is good for medium gain - you'd need pedals to boost it for a high gain sound. I tend to use pedals through the clean channel for all my dirt, then use the drive channel for a gain & volume boost during solos.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Dave_Mc
just in case you don't know, the blackstar HT is hybrid, not all-tube.

voxy cleans combined with high gain might be a problem. There might be something i'm forgetting, though.

I did some research. Apparently the HT-5 is a hybrid but the HT-20 is effectively full tube.
Voxy cleans is maybe a bit much said. I just want nice cleans that aren't too dark.

Well, testing any amp i want is a problem here. The local guitar stores don't have many amps in stock. They only have the classics like the twin reverb and the Vox ac 30. They don't have the blackstar either. That's why i'm asking here too. It's difficult for me to go out and look for the amp that fits as i have to drive to the Belgian border to find stores who have them.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Maybe something like a ampeg gvt52-212, its 2 channel, has a footswitchable reverb and effects loop. It might not have as much gain as your after, im not really familiar with the bands you listed.
The Laney vc30 is nice, and worth a test
Mesa Transatlantic maybe? A bit over your budget but maybe you could get an used one...
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Quote by AEnesidem
I did some research. Apparently the HT-5 is a hybrid but the HT-20 is effectively full tube.
Voxy cleans is maybe a bit much said. I just want nice cleans that aren't too dark.

Well, testing any amp i want is a problem here. The local guitar stores don't have many amps in stock. They only have the classics like the twin reverb and the Vox ac 30. They don't have the blackstar either. That's why i'm asking here too. It's difficult for me to go out and look for the amp that fits as i have to drive to the Belgian border to find stores who have them.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

What sort of research? They only have two 12AX7's so if it was truly all tube one of those has to be the phase inverter leaving only one 12AX7 for the entire preamp. They produce a damn lot of distortion for a single tube preamp. A rat I smell, a big fat one. There just aint enough tubes in there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ Agreed. Unless they use a paraphase phase inverter or something like that (which I highly doubt, the vast majority of modern tube amps use a long-tailed pair which needs two triodes i.e. one whole 12ax7). And even then that'd only leave 3 preamp gain stages which are still hardly enough.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Could be using a cathodyne PI, but that's not very common either.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
does a cathodyne use two triodes? I used to think it used one and then looked it up and it seems to use two. But i could be wrong on that, I didn't look into it terribly closely.

but as you said, they tend to be fairly rare (apart from in vintage clones/reissues) too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nah, uses one afaik. I might be wrong though.

By the way, Dave, I've realised I'm slowly copying your rig.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why not look into buying a Vox AC30C2 and then getting a nice OD/distortion/fuzz for high gain? They can get pretty crunchy on their own, as well.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Well, i don't know thàt much about amps, so maybe you guys are right. Anyway, it doesn't matter that much. As long as it sounds good i'm happy.

I don't really need super high gain. Only medium gain. Think porupne tree, tool, a lot like birds. If it can do more that's a bonus since i occasionally play stuff like architects and some djenty riffs but that is not specifically what i'm looking for in the amp i'm going to buy. I have my digital stuff for those sounds.

I guess i could try an AC30 with a distortion pedal but to be honest i haven't gotten any sounds i like from distortion pedals. I switch between atmospheric cleans and distortion quite a lot, so i really need the 2 channels i guess. I have a maxon od808, so if i really want some more gain than medium i can use that.

Anyway, thanks guys, i'll look into the suggestions that were made.
A cathodyne uses a single triode. They're pretty uncommon and normally only found in old Fenders. Still, even if they did such an unlikely thing that's only three stages left over. As Blackstar suspiciously hides their schematics from the world we can only speculate. My guess would be a SS phase inverter like on the HT5 and I would be very surprised if they don't have some sort of solid state boost and/or clipper diodes going on too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ thanks. yeah the link i found had two triodes, but now i suspect that one was a gain makeup stage to account for the loss (?) that results from the cathodyne design.

and yeah i suspect so, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AEnesidem

Here's what it needs:
-2 channels. I switch between clean and much gain quite often in my songs.
- chimey vox-like cleans.
-Enough gain. I need quite some gain (i play music like a lot like birds, dance gavin dance, I, the mighty etc...)

I'm mostly using Pods and the occasional Axe-FX Ultra (though it's sort of a PIA to haul it to small gigs), but I've still got about 15 tube amps sitting around.

The one I'd recommend for this is not one you can try out in a store, sorry.

I have a Carvin Belair. http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BELAIR It's an EL-84-based amp with absolutely gorgeous cleans (better, in many instances, than Fenders). Four 12 AX7 tubes, four EL-84s, 50W, 2x12 open back. $599, quite compact (but not boxy sounding) and I have no idea what it would cost to get to where you are.

Seriously loud (I have a pair of well-broken-in Vintage 30's in it) if you want it. It's a two-channel amp with a SOAK (gain) channel designed by Allan Holdsworth (little-known guitar player that actually used to live in my building in downtown LA). Quite a bit of gain. In fact, I thought it was a bit TOO legato/creamy.

I've had mine modded, and I mention it only because there might be eyes on these posts who *can* access this stuff. There's one set of rather universally appreciated mods, and they're free (well, the information is, but the bits and pieces you have to source and the labor is also on your dime) -- google "Hasserl Mods." Richard L Hassebrock in Fullerton, CA, got to working on his own Nomad (the single 12" version) and has added some tone stack refinements, a presence control (in addition to the existing one -- this one adjusts the negative feedback from zero to the stock amount), a master volume and an odd LED or two. The tone stack refinements are the tata implants of the mods -- they completely change the sound of the gain side of the amp (the pretty cleans are left alone), and you end up with a vintage Marshall (but with more gain than any vintage Marshall ever had). The negative feedback control is the only part of this that works on BOTH channels (since it affects the power tubes). It adds some nice bite to the gain side, and makes the whole amp more touch sensitive. On the clean side, you find that you get a bit of bluesy "hair" when you dig in. If you don't like it, you simply dial it back to the stock amount and you have pretty cleans with tons of headroom all over again. One of my very favorite amps; I don't know that there's a whole lot out there other than my modelers that I'd prefer over it. And I have a whole lot of amps in storage to compare to.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 4, 2013,
Well, when you say atmospheric cleans, do you mean chimey cleans drenched in reverb/delay/chorus/phaser/etc? then straight into a dry, distorted signal?

Well...

Tool: Adam Jones has used VH4s, Mesa Rectos and Marshall Superbasses through the years.
PT: I know the guys used Bad Cats for a while. Basically 50 watt Marshall clones
A Lot Like Birds: Never heard of them. Listening to them now. I like it a lot. Sounds like there's a good clean platform going on there.

Well, there's a few amps you could look at:
Jet City 50 watter
Laney VH100r
Line 6 Vetta
MAYBE a used Mesa F series or Express.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Glad i could introduce someone to ALLB , i've recently discovered them and been loving them.

I mean chimey cleans with reverb/delay yes. Into dry distortion or with little reverb.
I'll take a look at all the amps you listed, thanks again.

@dspellman:
Sorry if i didn't clarify it in the OP but i want a head. I have a pair of celestion V30's here that i upgraded my peavey valveking with (still sounds like crap). I'm gonna put back the original speakers in there and sell off that peace of junk. I'll buy an empty cab to put my V30's in.
Are you willing to go used, or does the amp have to be new? I'm not familiar with the Belgian market either.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Cathbard
A cathodyne uses a single triode. They're pretty uncommon and normally only found in old Fenders. Still, even if they did such an unlikely thing that's only three stages left over. As Blackstar suspiciously hides their schematics from the world we can only speculate. My guess would be a SS phase inverter like on the HT5 and I would be very surprised if they don't have some sort of solid state boost and/or clipper diodes going on too.

Yeah, I'm sure it's full of ss shenanigans. Aren't there pictures of its guts showing loads of micro processors and shit?
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
There's quite a bit of used gear on that website. I have no experience with that website whatsoever, I never bought anything off there
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
I'm willing to go used. Yeah i looked around, i have no idea what to look for though. I really need to go test some amps. I'll maybe drive to Music store in Germany when i have the time.
Orange AD30? I have one and it can cop a lot of the tones you're talking about. Sort of a Vox-ish Orange tone to it. Plus I saw Dance Gavin Dance live a few weeks ago and their second guitarist was using an AD30.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"