Hi everyone

I've been thinking on and off for several years of getting a bass (I've played electric guitar for years) but never got round to it. However, a guitar store here has a sale on and has a Vigier bass in it at a price that basically I reckon I'd be mad to pass (based on their electric guitars I've tried).

It's a Vigier Excess Indus.

I have a few (probably silly, as I said, I play guitar ) questions:

1) Are Vigier basses as well-respected as Vigier guitars?

2) I'm guessing/hoping that to check a bass over for defects is broadly similar to checking an electric guitar? I'd be buying online. The obvious stuff, like the neck isn't broken in half, and then stuff like fretwork, electronics, straight neck (no truss rod so that's one less thing to worry about) etc.? I could be totally wrong on that.

3) Any recommendations for a reasonably-priced practice amp? I had a quick look at the stickies, but much like the electric guitar and G G&A forums, I'm worried they might be out of date. There seems to be a new version of the Peavey Max 110 which was recommended in them (which seems to be twice the price of the old version), for example. The Ashdown Perfect 10 which is recommended in the stickies looks quite nice, but I know nothing at all about bass amps.

I'd only need it for practice, but at the same time I have pretty reasonable guitar kit so I don't want the absolute cheapest, worst practice amp available.

Music style... er... I dunno. Little bit of everything. I've never really paid that much attention to bass, really, I can tell you what types of guitar music I like, I'm guessing I'd like similar bass stuff. I like 80s hard rock and metal, and also classic rock, blues, blues rock, and jazz (though i like jazz to listen to more than playing it ).

4) I know it said in the stickies not to use a bass with a guitar amp and not to ask, but I have a little Vox Pathfinder guitar amp which I don't care too much about. Would it be ok to use it just to check that the electronics on the Vigier are working ok? Just in case I don't get round to getting a bass amp before the Vigier arrives.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, and sorry for the length of the post.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Haven't played a Vigier but they are very well respected. checking it out is just as you would for guitar. If it feels right in your hand and plays well / sounds good then go for it. AS for amps, I have an Ashdown half stack that I love and I used to have one of the cheaper electric Blue 130s. I love them but not everyone on here will agree - some reckon they can be muddy but I reckon it's down to your EQ and the type of noise you want. I know mine cuts through 2 full-on electric guitars and a full drum kit without any problem.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
Excellent, thanks I figured if their guitars were good their basses would be too (I've tried a bunch of their guitars) as it doesn't make much sense to put a ton of effort into making good guitars and then make half-assed basses, but at the same time you never know because (presumably) guitar players and bass players aren't necessarily looking for exactly the same thing (short of it being a well-made instrument, of course).

There's no massive rush on the amp thing, I can wait to hear more input on that (or even make a different specific thread for the amp later), as it's not in a sale Just the Vigier may well be sold soon, so if I do decide to go for it, I'd need to make my mind up before too long.

If anyone else has any input on Vigiers, in other words, that'd be awesome. Thanks again for any help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it doesn't make much sense to put a ton of effort into making good guitars and then make half-assed basses

cough cough Gibson cough cough.

Anyway, another voice chiming in that Vigier had always made a mean bass, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Checking it out will be pretty much the same as with a guitar, you know what to do.

As for an amp, you could check it out with your pathfinder, just remember you'll be risking the speaker if you keep doing it. Its also likely not to sound the same as a proper bass amp so don't make any judgments based on it. For a practice amp Peavey and Kustom are good solid go-to brands. Just avoid buying Behringer, and remember that Ampeg combos tend to be a little overly pricey new.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
LOL at Gibson

And no worries on the pathfinder thing, I'd only be doing it to check the electronics were ok (as if there were something serious wrong I'd want to get it sent back quickly), I wouldn't be playing the bass through it for any length of time. I'd get a bass amp once I was sure I was keeping the Vigier. I appreciate the warning, though.

And thanks, I'll keep those amp brands in mind when I do get round to getting a bass amp. Will most likely make a separate thread when I look at it more closely, as I said, I know nothing about bass and I'm having to keep my mind on deciding whether or not to go for the Vigier first
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Vigier basses are highly respected, and for good reason. They are first-rate instruments. They are not common in the U.S.A. because (a.) they do not have a wide distribution over here, and (b.) they are prohibitively expensive. US$3,500.00 and up is the norm for their basses.

Checking an electric bass for defects is the same as checking an electric guitar for them. Make sure the neck is not warped; all hardware is intact and functioning properly; make sure all electrical connections are good (no broken wires, hiss or ground problems),; check the action of the strings - height, spacing. etc.

As for practice amplifiers, the ones you've mentioned are good. However, most people who get into bass quxikly grow tired of a practice amplifier and look for something with more punch. Assuming you are in the U.S.A., look at Peavey's and Acoustic's 1x15" models. They are fine little amps, and suitable for gigging unless you are in a heavy metal, ear-splitting band. Now, in your neck of the woods; well, you'll have to tell us what brands are available. And do not overlook a good used amplifier.

A guitar amplifier works fine with a bass, but guitar amplifier speakers will be destroyed by a bass. Do not do it. There is no way around it.

Welcome to the Low End, my friend!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Nov 4, 2013,
Thanks

Yeah that's what I've always heard about guitar amps and bass amps- it's the speakers. I figure/hope it'll be ok just to check the bass is ok; as i said, once I do that, I'll turn the thing off and wait until I get a bass amp and just play the bass unplugged till then.

Availability of the amps isn't really the problem... it's the prices. Prices tend not to be as good here as in the USA, and also different things tend to be different values. So what's good value in the USA might be terrible value here, and vice-versa. As I said, I'll likely just make another thread about the amp when it's time to do so. The point you made about "growing out of " a practice amp is exactly what I'm worried about- I don't want to break the bank (plus I have no room with all my guitar gear ), but at the same time I don't want to just throw away my money either if something which is a much better long-term investment is only a little more money.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you decide not to get it let me know - I might be interested depending on price. Although I'm skint so probably not LOL.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

Trying not to jinx this with the curse (hopefully it doesn't apply to the bass forum), but let's just say... don't hold your breath.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Much like a guitar; the problem with practice amps is that they do little more than make a sound, and eventually you will want to hear what your bass can actually do. Since bassists are not usually fanatical about the whole "tubes or die!" thing, your options are much better. The small Class "D" micro-heads are all the rage these days, and the good ones really deliver. A 200-watt 1x15" combo like Acoustic's B200 is a great amp to have around the home, and for practice sessions and even for small gigs. It will definitely let you hear what your bass can do. You can find a good bass amp that is not too big and does not break your budget a lot easier than you can find a comparable guitar amplifier.

Since bass gigs are often more varied (equipment-wise) than guitar gigs, the best course of action is to get an amplifier head that has enough power for any gig you might encounter, and a couple of cabinets like a 1x15" and a 2x10" so that you can adapt as needed. A good 4x10" will handle anything but the loudest of metal gigs. For those, you might need two 4x10" cabs or a 4x10" and a 1x15" set.

Of course, once you get into bass, nothing beats the power and the presence of an 8x10" 'fridge!
Quote by FatalGear41
Of course, once you get into bass, nothing beats the power and the presence of an 8x10" 'fridge!

Except perhaps an 8x15.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by Ziphoblat
Except perhaps an 8x15.

2 Bergantino NV610
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by FatalGear41
Much like a guitar; the problem with practice amps is that they do little more than make a sound, and eventually you will want to hear what your bass can actually do. Since bassists are not usually fanatical about the whole "tubes or die!" thing, your options are much better. The small Class "D" micro-heads are all the rage these days, and the good ones really deliver. A 200-watt 1x15" combo like Acoustic's B200 is a great amp to have around the home, and for practice sessions and even for small gigs. It will definitely let you hear what your bass can do. You can find a good bass amp that is not too big and does not break your budget a lot easier than you can find a comparable guitar amplifier.

Since bass gigs are often more varied (equipment-wise) than guitar gigs, the best course of action is to get an amplifier head that has enough power for any gig you might encounter, and a couple of cabinets like a 1x15" and a 2x10" so that you can adapt as needed. A good 4x10" will handle anything but the loudest of metal gigs. For those, you might need two 4x10" cabs or a 4x10" and a 1x15" set.

Thanks

Yeah I'm well aware of the whole guitar practice amp thing As you say, a lot of the cheaper stuff is meh at best. I'd sorta heard that bass players weren't just as fanatical about tubes, and was sorta hoping that'd be the case, so that's good to know.

I'm pretty sure I'm out of room for cabinets, though, I could already build a fort with all the guitar cabs I have Though I do like a challenge

I did a quick google search and that acoustic (which looks nice, btw) doesn't seem to be available in Europe. It doesn't help that it has such a name which catches so many irrelevant hits, though, it may well be available in Europe and I'm being silly.

EDIT: I'm liking the look of those micro heads
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 5, 2013,
No, Acoustic gear isn't available in Europe. If you can get the money together, something like a Barefaced Midget (1x12) with a Genz Benz Shuttle (tiny) would be a good bet. Will hardly take up any more space than a practice amp, but is serious gear that will handle a gig (effortlessly if you have PA support).
Thanks guys And thanks for the info about Acoustic, will save me looking for ages

Yeah I've been looking at bass amps tonight (online, I mean) actually

So yeah now I have GAS for bass stuff as well as guitar

GAK has the Genz Benz bass stuff at what seems to be decent prices (both amps and cabs). I know about a year ago they had the guitar amps in at silly prices and I picked up one. So that might be worth considering (though they seem to be really high wattage which limits speaker cab options to big and/or expensive cabs ).

Also have come across the MarkBass stuff. They have the LittleMark250 which might be worth a look. There seems to be a newer, cheaper, made in Indonesia version... Their cabs seem quite expensive, though (don't get me wrong, I realise to an extent you get what you pay for, but I don't want to break the bank either ).

Another one I came across that I thought looked quite good was the Hartke Hydrive stuff. They have a 1x15 or 2x10 combo which is around about £400 on Thomann (a good £150 less than in the UK). They also have a dearer version which seems to be the LH500 (tube preamp?) head combined with the hydrive cabinet.

But yeah I have no clue about any of this stuff. I won't do anything till the bass gets here. Just in case it's broken in half in the post or something. If it is it could take me another 18 months (or longer) to get round to getting a bass, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well it turned up today. Seems pretty good (not that I know jack about bass). Has some cosmetic scratches on the body (with that finish that's hardly avoidable, with all i've been playing it I've already put a few minor scratches on it), other than that, seems good. I did notice a fair bit of hiss when I tried it with my vox pathfinder briefly- didn't want to try it too long as I could tell the speaker wasn't too keen. The hiss got worse when I turned up the active EQ controls (I assume that's what it was).

I'm guessing the hiss could be either dodgy batteries in the bass, the fact it doesn't like a cheapo SS guitar practice amp, or something more serious? I'm guessing like guitar, though, that even "something more serious" shouldn't be the end of the world, right? I don't really have any intention of sending it back, frankly, as it's really nice.

Will try to get a pic of it later.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ziphoblat
Except perhaps an 8x15.

Now you've done it! Some crazy bastard will read this and actually build one. Then he will either die when it falls over on him, or his roadies will kill him. Either way, his next of kin will sue our bass forum, and we will have to spend money on a lawyer instead of on whiskey!!!

Bassists without whiskey? Curse you!!!

Actually, I'd like to see an 8x15" some day.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'm guessing the hiss could be either dodgy batteries in the bass, the fact it doesn't like a cheapo SS guitar practice amp, or something more serious? I'm guessing like guitar, though, that even "something more serious" shouldn't be the end of the world, right? I don't really have any intention of sending it back, frankly, as it's really nice.

You could try changing the batteries, but know it might just be the amp. I keep a crappy old beat up Hondo practice amp around and my basses hiss like crazy through it, but are dead quiet when hooked up to my Markbass. Might want to reserve judgement until you can try it through a proper bass amp.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
^ Will do. I tried a guitar through the amp immediately afterwards and it was quiet (it's an old amp which i rarely ever use, so I wanted to check ), but as you say, it could just be using the wrong type of amp. That's good to know, at least I feel a little more relieved. Thanks

Also, here's a poor quality pic

Flash reflected on the bridge a bit.

EDIT: I'll be making a new thread about bass amps now, I think. Been looking at them myself for the past day or two online and I have no clue what I'm doing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 6, 2013,
HNBD! Very nice. If it's not too cheeky, what did you pay for it?

Niiiiceeee!! BTW what's the deal with thet weird pups? they look like pianos
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
Niiiiceeee!! BTW what's the deal with thet weird pups? they look like pianos

They're the pole pieces for the pickup which oddly is a single coil with AlNiCo 8 magnets.

BTW nice bass.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
^ Thanks

I didn't know they were alnico 8. Thanks for the information, I've never tried alnico 8 before.

Quote by RubberSoul54321
HNBD! Very nice. If it's not too cheeky, what did you pay for it?

Ah no worries at all. £500. Well, £499 I suppose, technically.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Vigier basses are elegant in their simplicity. HNBD! Welcome to the Low End!!!
Thanks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's a steal!

That's what I figured, based on their guitars and what seemed to be the going rate. It's sort of academic, since the prices on Vigiers shot way up there a couple of years ago and I thought they were dear enough at the old prices But yeah I'd pay £500 for one (or one of their guitars) all day long I've seen used prices a lot higher than that.

Thanks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Thanks

I didn't know they were alnico 8. Thanks for the information, I've never tried alnico 8 before.

AlNiCo 8 generally are one dimensional in the response freqs if they not under wound compared their II and V cousins. They're also quite mids and highs heavy compared to ceramics.
^ Thanks I know for guitar they're supposed to be almost like the best of both worlds of alnico and ceramic, but obviously bass is different (and that's just from what I hear, as I said, I haven't tried them for guitar).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Thanks I know for guitar they're supposed to be almost like the best of both worlds of alnico and ceramic, but obviously bass is different (and that's just from what I hear, as I said, I haven't tried them for guitar).

Fortunately for you Vigier is one of the few brands that actually understands how to control the strengths of the A8 mag.
yay

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?