Okay so i'm gonna make my first ever custom telecaster.. only problem is that its split up into two pieces... i know you can just glue it but what will happen when i cut the wood into the tele shape? will it unglue or crack? and what glue should i use.. i dont think i have wood glue laying around but i do have this huge bucket of elmers glue that says its for everything and on the back says you can glue wood with it... wont there also be a huge crack down the board from where the 2 pieces of wood were glued togther? how do i get rid of that?
If the joint is vertical (runs the same direction as the neck) then use a biscuit cutter and some biscuits. These will greatly strengthen the joint when you glue it. For glue, use real wood glue or hide glue. Titebond original is supposed to be really good stuff.

As for the seam, if the edges of the two pieces are perfectly flat and straight, you will barely see it when you're done.

If the joint is horizontal (perpendicular to the neck) then you can't do this.
Quote by Invader Jim
If the joint is vertical (runs the same direction as the neck) then use a biscuit cutter and some biscuits. These will greatly strengthen the joint when you glue it. For glue, use real wood glue or hide glue. Titebond original is supposed to be really good stuff.

As for the seam, if the edges of the two pieces are perfectly flat and straight, you will barely see it when you're done.

If the joint is horizontal (perpendicular to the neck) then you can't do this.

by joints do you mean something like this?
https://www.google.com/search?q=vertical+joints&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=B6d1UsbsFZTfsASO94DYAw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1517&bih=741#es_sm=93&espv=210&q=joints+on+wood&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=v7o5A0opnVFQwM%3A%3BESPXnOBFvIubcM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.gardensandmachines.com%252FNSGPurdueHonors%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F02%252Fbox-joint.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.gardensandmachines.com%252FNSGPurdueHonors%252Fwood-joints%252F%3B600%3B486

and i dont get what you mean by vertical joints.. they're two boards that are rectangular and i want to glue them side by side to make a body blank.
1- I just mean where the two pieces meet.

2- That'll work then.

It sounds like you need educate yourself in woodworking and guitar building techniques a lot more before you try to build a guitar. The neck is gonna be the hardest part because the fret spacing and the scale length must be perfect or the guitar will never be in tune with itself.

My honest opinion is that if you tried building a guitar from scratch right now, you would certainly fail. This isn't me being a douchebag, just a giving you a reality check.
Quote by Invader Jim

2- That'll work then.

It sounds like you need educate yourself in woodworking and guitar building techniques a lot more before you try to build a guitar. The neck is gonna be the hardest part because the fret spacing and the scale length must be perfect or the guitar will never be in tune with itself.

My honest opinion is that if you tried building a guitar from scratch right now, you would certainly fail. This isn't me being a douchebag, just a giving you a reality check.

i know man but thats why i havent started... i was actually planning on buying the neck and just making the body itself.
Quote by Invader Jim

2- That'll work then.

one more question man... my clamps arent long enough so i can't assure that the two pieces are tightly pressed against each other when i put glue on it... how would i replace the clamps?
Quote by GuitarNewbee
one more question man... my clamps arent long enough so i can't assure that the two pieces are tightly pressed against each other when i put glue on it... how would i replace the clamps?

You should see if there's a technical school around that has a class for woodworking. I went to a vocational high school, my shop was cabinetmaking and I actually made a guitar in my senior year. My point is my school had night classes for adults that wanted to learn a trade, it was only a couple hundred bucks, WELL worth it if you want to fiddle with woodworking.
Quote by mikeYekim
You should see if there's a technical school around that has a class for woodworking. I went to a vocational high school, my shop was cabinetmaking and I actually made a guitar in my senior year. My point is my school had night classes for adults that wanted to learn a trade, it was only a couple hundred bucks, WELL worth it if you want to fiddle with woodworking.

my school has not wood shop or woodworking classes
Quote by GuitarNewbee
Okay so i'm gonna make my first ever custom telecaster.. only problem is that its split up into two pieces... i know you can just glue it but what will happen when i cut the wood into the tele shape? will it unglue or crack? and what glue should i use.. i dont think i have wood glue laying around but i do have this huge bucket of elmers glue that says its for everything and on the back says you can glue wood with it... wont there also be a huge crack down the board from where the 2 pieces of wood were glued togther? how do i get rid of that?

if it's glued and clamped you'll be good then cut out the basic shape with a bandsaw and sand to the the edge that you want.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
You don't need any technical schools or weekend workshops.
This is the 21st century, bud--enjoy and utilize what us old farts didn't have--the Internet.

All you need is the proper tools, supplies and right resources.

Here is a GREAT website to get you started, but please find more...and read. Remember...measure twice, cut once!
http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/page/articles.html/_/tutorials/instrument-building/making-an-rgjem-style-guitar-body-r45
Oh, frack! But, I didn't say frack--I said "THE" word. The F-dash-dash-dash-dash word.