Hello. I'm not sure if it will be better to replace my guitar or amp since I'm kind of a noob at this stuff. My current guitar is a cheap BC Rich Warlock that I got in a starter pack I got around 2 years ago. The amp I'm using now is a Kustom Quad 65 DFX amp that I got from a family member and I have a MXR Fullbore metal pedal and a DigiTech RP155 effects pedal. Since Christmas is coming soon I was hoping to maybe get a new guitar, but after thinking a bit I have started wondering if it will be more worthwhile to get better pickups for my current one and get a tube amp instead.

My style is mainly metal ( bands like As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, Heaven Shall Burn, Dark Tranquillity...).

Any help is appreciated!
Last edited by xxSovereignxx at Nov 2, 2013,
Which series is the warlock and do you like the guitar?
what is your budget?
location?
gig or jam with others?
Is used OK? you can get better equipment this way.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's the Red Bevel Warlock (the Red Bevel one on the BC Rich website has a different bridge than mine though, mine has the strings going through the body, can't find one identical to mine). It has served me well so far the main reason why I am thinking of upgrades is to get a better sound. There are some minor things I don't like about it but I can work around them for now. I am located in California. I occasionally jam but nothing major I mostly play by myself but I would definitely like to start jamming more in the future. Budget wise is no more than $1000. I would prefer new since this would be my first major fancy (and I mean fancy compared to what I got now) piece of musical equipment but if I can find a really good deal used I may go for that too.
I say get a new guitar. You're still using one from a starter pack, correct? You could do with a nice new one, it'll feel better and it'll make you enjoy playing so much more. Your current amp isn't great and certainly could use an upgrade, but I wouldn't consider it complete garbage. It is good enough for a casual jam and playing to yourself. With your pedal and the amp's built in tones I'm sure you're able to get something close enough to those bands you suggested.

Guitar now, then save for an amp asap.

Just my opinion. Knowing this forum I might get some hate for not suggesting a new amp
Yes it is the guitar from the starter pack. The amp from the starter pack I no longer use. The guitar is completely stock except for the strings.
Look used and you can find great amps for <$500 and then you can get a good used guitar

look here good prices and 30 day return policy www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear

Peavey 6505+ 1x12 run $300-$400 used
LTD MH-1000 or EC1000 run $400+ used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Alright I will check the used stuff there.

I should have stated though that the guitar I am looking at getting is the Schecter Blackjack SLS C-1 active pups in the Crimson color. Amp wise I was looking at the Bugera 333XL Infinium 212. I also like the 6505+ but I heard it doesn't have good cleans which is something I would like to have.
I'd stay away from Bugera, they are plagued with problems
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That's what I read on the forums but I thought they fixed them with their Infinium series amps?
Last edited by xxSovereignxx at Nov 3, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
I'd stay away from Bugera, they are plagued with problems

I had a Bugera 333XL 212. For the money they're decent amps. However mine had a problem with parasitic oscillation.
Generally speaking, I think you should get your guitar up to a point where you're not going to need something better for a good long while -- start there. It's where the "rubber meets the road." Or where your technique and playing style will evolve. Do that first; you want your guitar to be like an old shoe. Your hand will go automatically to the right spot every time and you're comfortable with the way it sounds over a wide variety of amps.

Amps, in my experience, will come and go. They're part of the sound development, but not as important to your development as a player. These days I've got maybe 15 tube amps, most of them packed away in storage.

Most of my playing is done with modelers. They're far more consistent. I practice with headphones, with recording monitors and with a trio of Atomic Reactor amps at home. I have a pair of full-range speakers that will handle bass, keys and modeled guitar via a 1500W solid state power amp for when the PA system is mostly used for vocals, and they can become monitors for when everything runs through the PA. Long ago I noticed that with my tube amps, I'd sound one way in a bedroom, another way at practice, another way at a small venue and a completely different way when cranked at a larger one.

That's not a promotion for modelers, but more an illustration of how times change. But the guitar I bought way back when (my first one was a higher-end Gibson) remains relevant.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 3, 2013,
If your looking at the 333xl, why not look for a used Peavey Ultra combo, XXX combo or JSX combo? they are much better amps than the Bugera, and they are what the bugera was cloned after. The Ultra combo starts at $250 used for the 1x12 normally.

A used Krank Rev 2x12 combo can be found used for $500-$600 used if your patient.

Check out the like I posted and do some searches

They have: XXX combos from $399+
JSX combos from $549
Ultra combo $199
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 3, 2013,
If I were you I would split it and get something like a cheap Dinky for 4-500, and then use the rest of your money on a nice combo. Mesa Boogie and Randall combos should serve you well.
Quote by nathan:-)
However mine had a problem with parasitic oscillation.

I have that problem. They make my tapeworms dance.
If I go for the new guitar I probably wont get another guitar for a very long time. I have looked more into the 6505+ 112 and they go for a really good price used. At the price they go for I might be able to go for that Schecter I like for Christmas and maybe before then or a bit after get a 6505+ 112. It would be a bit over my budget but I want to get to the point where I wont have to get anything major upgrade wise for a long time. What do you guys think?
Just so you know, you can actually get pretty good cleans with a 6505.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Quote by randomguy2000
Just so you know, you can actually get pretty good cleans with a 6505.

I watched some videos on it yesterday and from what I heard in a couple of them the cleans actually sounded pretty good. I wonder why then a lot if people say the cleans in it suck?
Mainly bandwagoning and bad equing.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.