Just found out there's almost another continent forming out of garbage in the pacific. I knew there was a lot of polution and all, but I really didn't see that one comming...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_garbage_patch

Estimates of size range from 700,000 square kilometres (270,000 sq mi) to more than 15,000,000 square kilometres (5,800,000 sq mi)

Continent-size toxic stew of plastic trash fouling swath of Pacific Ocean

Yay for humanity!
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
I learned about this in highschool. It's really sad knowing that things like this happen.

But what can you do to change it?
From what I've read, it's a lot smaller than people think.
My God, it's full of stars!
I think we should get multiple big boats with a lot of storage and a big scoop. Then we can move it into a landfill.
Quote by DukeDeRox
I learned about this in highschool. It's really sad knowing that things like this happen.

But what can you do to change it?

Hey everybody on UG, you see that garbage patch?

That's you.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
Hey everybody on UG, you see that garbage patch?

That's you.

mean
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Baby Joel
but liek it cant b a continent unles its actuly part of teh erth?

We're like all part of the Earth maaannnn
Quote by DukeDeRox
We're like all part of the Earth maaannnn

Exactly. That's why I throw my garbage anywhere in the nature. Give back to earth what's coming from earth brah.
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Hey! Don't talk about Australia like that!
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
A whole 0.4% of the surface area of the Pacific.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Up on melancholy hill there's a plastic tree.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
The main problem is that these plastics enter the foodchain, because fish mistake tiny bits of it for food. We eat those fish, so these microplastics get into our bodies. And you really don't want microplastics in your body.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by the bartender
The main problem is that these plastics enter the foodchain, because fish mistake tiny bits of it for food. We eat those fish, so these microplastics get into our bodies. And you really don't want microplastics in your body.

#steakmasterrace

i do love fish though
Quote by LostLegion
We should blast it off into space. It won't come back for thousands of years anyway.

I don't think it would ever come back, although the pollutants put in the atmosphere by the launch would probably be worse than the waste...
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by LostLegion
We should blast it off into space. It won't come back for thousands of years anyway.

Space junk is possibly even worse than trash continents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_debris

Unless we're throwing it into the sun, in which case, totally dude.
Last edited by AmalgamOfMeat at Nov 3, 2013,
It is pretty great actually. Because it gives me hope that maybe, just maybe, there's an island of long lost beachballs somewhere out there. Just waiting for me to claim it.

Or you know, it's just a stinking pile of trash in the middle of the ocean, that just floats there... judging us...

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by LostLegion

?
Quote by Dreadnought
From what I've read, it's a lot smaller than people think.

There's a good VICE documentary (like an hour iirc) about it. You can't really see any of the garbage, it just looks like normal water. They stick a jar in the water and bring it back up and there is just tons of tiny pebble sized pieces of plastic. The water is like... Thick, too. It's pretty gross, but not as big as people say.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Lets fish it up and sell it as a memorial tourist attraction, an homage to the 20th century. Should make more money than the Declaration of Independance
AND THE WORLD IS SLIDING AWAY
IN A VORTEX OF FLOATING REFUSE
WITH THE SACRED ONE YOU HAVE LOST
PLASTIC BAG IN THE SEA
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.