My budget is 360$! for the AMP, (cant go higher).

I want to play metal, bands like Metallica, A7X, BFMV, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden.

Can I attach a processor or pedals to the cube? (I am new to all this).

How is the Cube? Any other alternatives in that budget?
Last edited by Ayushyadav at Nov 3, 2013,
With that budget, I would be on the lookout for a used Tube Vypyr 60.

Yes, you can attach pedals and processors to any amp.

The cube is good, but with that budget you could do much better. Look for those used Vypyr Tubes like I said above, the pawn shop down the street from me has one for $320 right now just to give you an idea.
Quote by cdr_salamander
With that budget, I would be on the lookout for a used Tube Vypyr 60.

Yes, you can attach pedals and processors to any amp.

The cube is good, but with that budget you could do much better. Look for those used Vypyr Tubes like I said above, the pawn shop down the street from me has one for $320 right now just to give you an idea.

It goes above my budget
Any other amp?
Quote by cdr_salamander
You said your budget was $360 and $320 is above it?

Not available in India, my country :/
Can you afford the Vypyr 30?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Ayushyadav
Yes but isn't cube better?

Not by a long shot.

IMO, I must add as a disclaimer.

Some people really like their Cubes. They're not a bad choice, but they are pretty limited, like most entry level modelers, compared to how many built in FX and models the Vypyr 30+ has.

Besides that I just think the Vypyr straight up sounds better, it's better at sounding more tube like.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Cube is a modelling amp, it can copy sounds of other amps to a certain degree, but it's not the real thing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I read that you shouldn't put pedals and processors into modelling amps because it can mess up the electronics.

In my opinion, if you want a metal amp and only want to play metal, save up and get an amp built for metal. Failing that buy a 5 watt valve amp and some pedals.
try a peavey valveking combo (i play all the bands you listed except for BFMV and Dream Theater), it has an effects loop, so you can add your pedals in there. There is a notable difference between the solid state and a tube amp when playing with other people.
I bought my valveking for $200 used with the footswitch, dropped in a V30 and it sounds really nice on the distorted channel (it sounded ok before, but now it sounds more smooth in a good way)

what are you currently playing through?
Quote by CageTheGates
try a peavey valveking combo (i play all the bands you listed except for BFMV and Dream Theater), it has an effects loop, so you can add your pedals in there. There is a notable difference between the solid state and a tube amp when playing with other people.
I bought my valveking for $200 used with the footswitch, dropped in a V30 and it sounds really nice on the distorted channel (it sounded ok before, but now it sounds more smooth in a good way)

what are you currently playing through?

Nothing. This is my first electric guitar and amp after 2 years of acoustic.
Quote by Ayushyadav
My budget is 360$! for the AMP, (cant go higher).

I want to play metal, bands like Metallica, A7X, BFMV, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden.

Can I attach a processor or pedals to the cube? (I am new to all this).

How is the Cube? Any other alternatives in that budget?

I have a Cube 20XL and you can get a decent metal tone from it, however i will say that it lacks something, some "punch" if you want to call it that i don't what it is ... either way you can get a decent metal tone, cranck up the treble and the bass (just not as high as the treble) and have the mids scooped a little and set the model to "Metal Stack" or "Extereme" or whatever the equiv is on the 40XL and you should get a nice metal tone from the amp

As for other options i cna't help you there
For your first amp I would say either the Cube or the Vypyr will probably be good to start with. As mentioned above, that "punch" i've noticed too. When playing with others, it seems that you solid state amps suck at cutting through the overall mix. Check out any of the Rob Chappers demo's on youtube (Cube Demo ), this guy is amazing and he demos almost every amp out there.
I started with the Line 6 spider (lol) and was able to get an ok tone with it. I'm sure you'll have fun with either choice. In the future when upgrading your amp don't be afraid to sell your first amp.

does your guitar have humbuckers, this is a must for metal?
My son used a cube 30 for a few years, but he always ran the guitar through a digitech effects pedal. He played primarily the same stuff you do OP. Have just recently upgraded him to another amp, but he got alot of mileage out of that cube.

I have little to add in the way of recommendations as what I know about other amps would fit into a thimble, and considering you probably have limits on your choices being in India, but the Cube series served my son well.
these threads are so stupid because everyone likes the sounds of different amps. IMO all rolland cubes sound horrible. For metal riffing, I like the sound of a cheap randall. For solos and clean stuff you might look elsewhere, but for just playing fat riffs, a randall would be my pick. Rolland cubes to me sound like some cheap multi effects pedal with a speaker attached
RG's & Mesa's
I've owned both a Cube and a Vypyr and if you're choosing between the two I'd say go with the Vypyr. The Cube isn't a bad amp when you consider how cheap it is, but it's also quite limited when it comes to features. You can do a lot more with a Vypyr but as well as that I think it has a better overall tone, obviously both amps are modelling amps so they won't sound as good as a tube amp but I think the Vypyr gets a lot closer to that tube sound than the Cube. The Vypyr also models a lot of great metal amps so if you're interested in playing metal it's definitely the way to go.