So Im having a problem with a tab from To hell we ride by Lostprophets
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-2u------------2d---------------2u------------------2d-----------------------------------------------
-----4d---4u--------4u----4d--------4d-----4u---------4u-----4d----------------------------

Its a really fast song I think the tempo is 105 but anyways, when I try to alternate pick it, I pick the G string upwards, alternate pick the D string down and up, but then I have to pick the G string again, and because the number of times I have to pick the either of the strings is uneven, it the direction of picking always changes thus I cant pick fast. Do I need to use some other technique?
All the guitar teachers on the net always teach alternate picking with a lick where the number of times you pick a string is even so you always change strings picking in the direction of the next string for example this tab

---2---2-------------------------------------------5------5-------------
-------------4-----4--------------4-------4-----------------------------
---------------------------5---5-----------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

and when you play it in a loop you dont change the direction you pick the strings and no one addressed the situation in the first tab.
Can you help me? Almost all of their songs use those kind of picking patterns fo I want to learn it as soon as I can so I can get some progress here.
What you're referring to is economy picking, not alternate picking. Your second example doesn't fit that technique anyways, you're still stuck with the same problem when you move from the B string to the G string. Typically if you want to use economy picking you'd arrange your passages 3 notes per string so you can indeed keep moving in the same direction between strings.

Alternate picking is straight up and down picking, regardless of the direction you're moving between strings or how often you pick a string. Sticking rigidly to that up and down motion can be helpful for maintaining your rhythm and helps keep notes distinct.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
oh okay thanks i wanted to know if i was indeed using the wrong technique and I actually stumbled upon economy picking when trying to learn this song but I didnt understand what he was tryng to say so Im going to give it another try, and thanks for the help much appreciated
Quote by denis.demeter.5
Do I need to use some other technique?

Yes, it's called practice.

You can't do it because you're not good enough and the only way you're going to overcome that is by stopping the search for excuses and practising it until you can do it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yes, it's called practice.

You can't do it because you're not good enough and the only way you're going to overcome that is by stopping the search for excuses and practising it until you can do it.

I know I need practice dude Ive been trying to play this for two weeks playing again and again but the fluidity couldnt be achieved by only alternate picking I tried the economy technique and doing it at 80% speed with no problem it really helped.