Dyads seem to appear a lot in rock tabs, which I'm not used to (having played other chords more often in previous songs). I found this in "Song for Clay" by Bloc Party:

E|------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|------------------------------------------------------------------| x4
D|-3-3-3-3-6-6-6-6---------8-8-8-8---------8-8-8-8------------------|
A|-1-1-1-1-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-6-6-6-6-4-4-4-4-6-6-6-6-4-4-4-4-6-6-6-6--|
E|-----------------2-2-2-2---------2-2-2-2---------2-2-2-2-4-4-4-4--|

E|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|(14)-(14)-(14)--------------------------------------(14)--(14)---------------|
G|-13---13---13-11-10--------------------------10------13-13-13-11-10----------|
D|----------------------13--13----11--13-13-13----11--------------------13--11-| x3
A|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

E|--13----------------13----------------13----------------14-13-------------|
B|--14----14--14--14--14----14--14--14--14----14--14----14--------14-14--14-|
G|-----13-13--13--13-----13-13--13--13-----13-13--13--13--------13---13--13-|
D|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

How are these generally strummed? Obviously with only two notes you have a lot of strings to avoid. But if you want to play with a faster, more rock oriented way you aren't going to be plucking these or playing them fingerstyle.

I'm curious how these kinds of two-note fingerings are meant to be played in a typical rock context. Thanks!
Mute the rest of the strings, generally with your fretting hand. Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
depends on what you mean by "rock", too. I'm not that well up on indie-type rock, which may well be different (your example could well just be strummed/alternate-picked), but in heavier rock, all (or almost all) downstrokes are used a lot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sure, I'm curious about most styles of rock in this case (Bloc Party was just the most recent example I've found).

The video posted above is helpful but mostly focused on lead; I'm curious if a rhythm player would simply lay a muting barre finger over the strings and then fret the dyad as needed, or if there's a more specific approach.
you also can mute with your picking hand. generally speaking you'd mute the strings below (in pitch) the string you're fretting with your picking hand, and the strings above (in pitch) or between the string(s) you're fretting with your fretting hand.

It's kind of hard to say for sure in an overall "THIS IS ALWAYS TRUE!" way, because you sort of judge each case on its own merits, and also it's sort of second nature once you've been playing for a while, I don't even realise I'm muting half the time.

EDIT: you can also just not play the strings you're not playing. in some instances that's the handiest way to do it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 3, 2013,