Hello all,

I'm looking to pickup some pedals in an up and coming trip to the US. Likely a Mosfet Fulltone 2 and MXR Carbon Copy along with a Boss Tuner, MXR 10 Band graphics eq and EHX Holy Grail. But i wanted to check how it's going to work when it comes to using them in the UK. Initially, i'll use 9V batteries but i'm looking to buy a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power early next year, if i buy this and use the relevant 9v adaptors and plug in the pedals i purchased in the states, will this cause problems? or will the pedals work in either country providing i'm using the correct 9v adaptor?

Thanks so much!
Last edited by Tim_Miles at Nov 3, 2013,
don't quote me on this, but i think the pedals should be ok, you'll just need to buy the pedal power and/or AC adaptors in the UK.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Great! but the 9V/18v cables required to connect from the Pedal to the Pedal power 2 would be standard regardless as to whether it's US or UK right? it's only if i'd be using a plug for the pedal in which case i'd need a US to UK adaptor?

Thanks both!
I've bought several pedals from the US and they all work fine on our electricity, I've used them with Boss-style power adapters and multi-brick supplies with no problems. Basically as long as you're getting 9 volts coming out of whatever power supply you're using you'll be fine!
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by Tim_Miles
Great! but the 9V/18v cables required to connect from the Pedal to the Pedal power 2 would be standard regardless as to whether it's US or UK right? it's only if i'd be using a plug for the pedal in which case i'd need a US to UK adaptor?

Thanks both!

your safest bet is buying the adaptor and cables in the UK. the cables may well be fine, but I dunno for sure.

If you're talking about pedals which come with their own power supply, that's trickier. I'd probably just buy them in the UK, unless you're saying a load of money (in which case you could just buy a suitable power supply here in the UK).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There's no problems.

Only the power supply, which I don't recommend using with an adaptor. Buy something that's going to run 240v.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
You just need an 18Vdc adapter of sufficient current capacity designed to go into 230V, you can't use the American 120Vac ones. The pedal doesn't give a crap about the AC side of the equation, just the DC end.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^There are certain pedals that I don't remember exactly at the moment, but they needed AC input supply instead of the usual DC. Do these come with PSU's that are auto adjustable to Wall AC range between 120V&240? Or are these converting the AC into DC internally in the pedal itself?
Thanks everyone for your input. so the rule of thumb would be, pedals will be fine. But buy the Voodoo Labs pedal power 2 in the UK so it runs 240V and the daisy chain 9V-18V cables in the UK as well? and not use any cable supplied with the pedal just the pedal itself?

So buy these in the UK:

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/pedals_power_detail.asp?stock=05040813294718&gclid=CJzWnajnyroCFTDMtAodyQwALg

http://www.soundsgreatmusic.com/products/Voodoo-Lab-PPBAR-9V-Cable.html

And then the pedal in the US will work fine with both of these?

Thanks again!
Last edited by Tim_Miles at Nov 4, 2013,
Quote by steven_ferns84
^There are certain pedals that I don't remember exactly at the moment, but they needed AC input supply instead of the usual DC. Do these come with PSU's that are auto adjustable to Wall AC range between 120V&240? Or are these converting the AC into DC internally in the pedal itself?
Not normally, no. AC to AC adapters are normally nothing more than a transformer so the output of the adapter will be double if the mains input is double. If the pedal has a regulator built in it may cope with that voltage doubling but I would never assume that that is the case unless I saw a schematic or what was inside it.
The point is, you need an adapter that outputs the voltage you need when plugged into the mains that you have. So just don't use American adapters in a European wall socket unless you know exactly what is going on inside it. Just get an adapter designed for the country you are in that produces the correct output for the pedal you are using.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Tim_Miles
Thanks everyone for your input. so the rule of thumb would be, pedals will be fine. But buy the Voodoo Labs pedal power 2 in the UK so it runs 240V and the daisy chain 9V-18V cables in the UK as well? and not use any cable supplied with the pedal just the pedal itself?

So buy these in the UK:

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/pedals_power_detail.asp?stock=05040813294718&gclid=CJzWnajnyroCFTDMtAodyQwALg

http://www.soundsgreatmusic.com/products/Voodoo-Lab-PPBAR-9V-Cable.html

And then the pedal in the US will work fine with both of these?

Thanks again!

yeah should do. as cathbard says, if your pedals are DC they only care about the end result, the amount of DC voltage they're getting. An american adaptor will convert 110V (mains voltage) to the 9V DC that most pedals need- that's only stepping down the voltage by about ~12 times. If you plug an American adaptor into the UK mains (240V) it'll also only step that down by ~12 times which is giving you 20V DC, which may kill your pedals.

the voodoo labs power supply should come with a bunch of cables, i think. so don't buy any cables unless you're sure you need them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 4, 2013,