Maybe a noob question? Just broke a string on my strat and didn't have any spares of my usual type (and the store where I get them was closed) so I threw on some 11 gauge strings I had lying around, figuring it'd be an experiment. It sounds normal, but the bridge is pulled way up by the tension from the strings, and I can't bend the notes down with the whammy bar because its already so tight. This seems abnormal to me.

My questions are: (1.) am I just not able to use the whammy with strings this thick? (2.) is this a bad/dangerous sign for my guitar in any way?
you need to tighten the springs in your tremolo- under teh backplate.

you may still feel 11s are way too tight if you're used to e.g. 9s, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Can you take a picture of your bridge? I'm wondering about it being bent away. What kind of guitar/bridge is it? Maybe a spring is loose, or your tremolo may be cracked.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Last edited by leondb at Nov 3, 2013,
Quote by sjada

My questions are: (1.) am I just not able to use the whammy with strings this thick? (2.) is this a bad/dangerous sign for my guitar in any way?

1. You can use your trem with any gauge strings, but not when it's not set up properly.

2. It is not hurting anything. You have heavier strings than its set up for. If you are just going to replace them with your regular gauge soon, then don't do anything. Try some drop tuned songs for a day or two.

If you keep the 11s on you will need to adjust the springs, possibly the neck, possibly the action, and definitely the intonation.

Just go buy your regular strings....