Hi all. I've had my Engl Gigmaster head for a while now and I've noticed how it's got this "Balanced Line Output" jack. What is this? Can it be used to record directly to an audio interface?
(Note on amp - I love it and I don't want any bashing on it because it's not all tube. I'm very satisfied by it and don't want to hear any anti Gigmaster opinions)
Cheers in advance!
Quote by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
That means that it's a line level out, so yeah you could run it into a mixer or an interface.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Yes you can use it to record, if your audio interface accepts line-in level inputs.

If it doesn't have a cab simulator to the Line output, then you can download a cab simulator/impulse loader and use one of those.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Hi all. I've had my Engl Gigmaster head for a while now and I've noticed how it's got this "Balanced Line Output" jack. What is this? Can it be used to record directly to an audio interface?

there is some overhead information on what 'balanced' means, but for the most part you don't need to worry about it. you can think about it kinda like the output on an mp3 (or ipod).

it is made for connecting directly into a mixing board or recording interface.

also, this output seems to have a cabinet emulator built into it.

Quote by Boonnoo666
(Note on amp - I love it and I don't want any bashing on it because it's not all tube. I'm very satisfied by it and don't want to hear any anti Gigmaster opinions)

are you really that sensitive?

don't post on the internet if you can't take BS hollow criticism, what other people think shouldn't effect how you feel about this product. btw, comments like this will generally attract more negative criticism cuz you make yourself a mark.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
there is some overhead information on what 'balanced' means, but for the most part you don't need to worry about it. you can think about it kinda like the output on an mp3 (or ipod).

it is made for connecting directly into a mixing board or recording interface.

also, this output seems to have a cabinet emulator built into it.

are you really that sensitive?

don't post on the internet if you can't take BS hollow criticism, what other people think shouldn't effect how you feel about this product. btw, comments like this will generally attract more negative criticism cuz you make yourself a mark.

Oh right. It has a line/instrument switch for the jack so I'm guessing that would be all right.
And not so much, it's just I've seen gear like mine bashed on a bit and I wanted to avoid that and make it clear that I like it

Quote by Clay-man
Yes you can use it to record, if your audio interface accepts line-in level inputs.

If it doesn't have a cab simulator to the Line output, then you can download a cab simulator/impulse loader and use one of those.

I see. Is a cab simulator necessary or can I just use the head through the interface?
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
You can practice through an interface, but it will sound like shit. Look for a cab simulator. I know they're some good free ones out there.

Quote by Boonnoo666
Oh right. It has a line/instrument switch for the jack so I'm guessing that would be all right.
And not so much, it's just I've seen gear like mine bashed on a bit and I wanted to avoid that and make it clear that I like it

If the "gear like [yours]" that you're referring to is Blackstar, then don't worry. Engl isn't trying to defend the Gigmaster as an ALL TUBE WTFBBQSAUCE amp. If you like it, then who gives a flying ****?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
You can practice through an interface, but it will sound like shit. Look for a cab simulator. I know they're some good free ones out there.

If the "gear like [yours]" that you're referring to is Blackstar, then don't worry. Engl isn't trying to defend the Gigmaster as an ALL TUBE WTFBBQSAUCE amp. If you like it, then who gives a flying ****?

Ah cheers. So just confirming, would the signal chain be:
Guitar->Amp->Interface (Focusrite 2i2 if anyone needs to know)->Cab simulator->Recording software
?
And yeah, some people take a different approach to it though :P
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Yea, I'm no expert, but that's how it goes. Except you'd be running the cab sim as a VST in the DAW. But don't quote me on that...

and no worries. **** the rest and just play.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Balanced jack surely means it works best with a TRS cable? No one commented on this? I have no experience with this amp but from knowledge in live sound PAs and studio desks, a balanced output means it uses two output that form one. I imagine you'd be fine using a mono TS cable, but if you encounter noise you need a TRS to 2 separate TS jack cable.

I could be completely wrong and taking "balanced" way out of context for the purpose of this output.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
Balanced jack surely means it works best with a TRS cable? No one commented on this? I have no experience with this amp but from knowledge in live sound PAs and studio desks, a balanced output means it uses two output that form one. I imagine you'd be fine using a mono TS cable, but if you encounter noise you need a TRS to 2 separate TS jack cable.

I could be completely wrong and taking "balanced" way out of context for the purpose of this output.

No, not necessarily, a balanced output means it uses 2 signals and a ground. One of the signals is positive, and the other is an inverted or negative version of the first. The idea is that if there is any noised picked up in long runs, one of the signals can be inverted back to positive, and combined with the other, and the noise will cancel each other out. It's also similar to power outlets that have 2 and 3 poles. 3 pole power outlets are "balanced".

The confusion comes from the fact that TRS cables are also used as stereo cables. Lots of time, mixing desks work as both balanced and unbalanced signals, because if you plug in a TS cable, the ring lead will get grounded to the sleeve, leaving one hot lead.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Nov 5, 2013,
Quote by Reincaster
No, not necessarily, a balanced output means it uses 2 signals and a ground. One of the signals is positive, and the other is an inverted or negative version of the first. The idea is that if there is any noised picked up in long runs, one of the signals can be inverted back to positive, and combined with the other, and the noise will cancel each other out. It's also similar to power outlets that have 2 and 3 poles. 3 pole power outlets are "balanced".

The confusion comes from the fact that TRS cables are also used as stereo cables. Lots of time, mixing desks work as both balanced and unbalanced signals, because if you plug in a TS cable, the ring lead will get grounded to the sleeve, leaving one hot lead.

This is all true, I think I went wrong where I said "2 outputs" where I meant to say two signals that would work together to cancel the noise out. His interface has only mono connections IIRC. I have the 2i4, but I can't remember if the jacks use balanced inputs for the jack connections (obviously they do for the XLR).
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I'm still quite confused by all of this. I know pretty much nothing about recording.
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website