metallica or slayer let's say , I love the big thud thud of the palm mutes but if I buy this amp can it do those tones on its own or would I need pedals to get it ? If so which ones ....all advice appreciated .
Boost it with an overdrive pedal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
JCM 800 + OD-pedal (TS or SD-1) = metal
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
If you want pre-Master of Puppets (Kill em All, Ride the Lightning) then yeah, SD-1 in front of the JCM, dime the mids. Hetfield started using Mesa Mark 2C+s during MoP, though Hammett says most of the lead tones were put through a JCM800. You won't get a convincing 'extreme' metal tone out of a JCM800, its great for 80's EVH brown sound and hair metal music.

I think the KerryKing JCM has a boost built into it for a better Slayer-esque tone. JCM is a great amp, its what I use, but I found that it doesn't do metallica as well as I would have liked it to. I find it doesn't take distortion very well, but if you push the tubes you get a great hard-rock sound.

I'd look into MesaBoogie amps or Peavy 6505 (which many claim to be the holy grail of heavy metal amps)

You're going to need the gain and volume of the 800 at 10. Then it actually opens up. And then shove a Tubescreamer in front of it. You'll be sounding pretty rad.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com