I have never used a pick in the last 5 years I've been playing. Lately I've been trying to get used to it and I can do chords but not notes. I always will accidentally hit the string. Will it ever get easier? What can I play to practice strumming the right strings? I'll be looking at a tab and instead of strumming the A string I'll strum the G. Will I ever get used it? Using a pick feels hopeless. I can never understand how people solo with a pick.
yeah you'll get used to it (probably) if you stick with it.

you can do exercises which might help (just aim to hit certain strings, or try string skipping and the like), but just playing will also help.

the big problem is you're so used to a pick, you almost have to relearn how to play. it's like if i tried to play without one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Scales, my friend. Boring, I know... But essential practice. Scales and arpeggios. Take it slow. Alternate picking. Try to make the upstrokes sound like the downstrokes.

Do it slowly enough that you can do it correctly... Gradually increase speed. It's beneficial for both hands. Use all your fingers on the left hand.

Pay attention to how you hold the pick, how it's angled during the attack, and so forth.

Advanced pickers manipulate the pick to a large degree. You can extend the pick for a more ringing sound, or "choke up" on the pick to the point of damping with the fingertips.

Play around with the thing. Don't be afraid to buy a lot of different picks. Experiment.
I would suggest holding a chord and picking the notes one at a time at a comfortable speed. As you get more comfortable with that maybe look up a song with played with that type of technique (maybe the verses of Simple Man for example). In time maybe try to play something you already know how to plan with finger-picking and try it with a pick.

Scales are important but I'd work on the pick control first before you try to memorize scales. One new thing at a time.
Quote by demonhellcat

Scales are important but I'd work on the pick control first before you try to memorize scales. One new thing at a time.

+1

if you try to learn two new things at once, you risk not getting either of them. I think that's a native american proverb (sort of), if Civ IV isn't making stuff up.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was in the same boat a couple years back. After a couple of weeks using a pick it became second nature. I would highly recommend alternate picking right off the bat. When I was self teaching myself I didn't even know about doing this until I took lessons. Getting accustomed to this was far more difficult than learning to use a pick in the first place.
I know how you're feeling.

At first I played classical guitar for 4 years (fingerpicking), only then did I buy an electric guitar. Using a pick was horrible, I was really bad. I played heavy metal songs using my fingers for months (lol), but I couldn't play fast, so I finally took the time, watched some youtube videos and practiced with a pick from then on. I was terrible but after some time I started getting used to it.

I just started to learn easier songs that didn't have a lot of movement as far as the right hand went, plus I invented excercises for myself. At first I had to concentrate and constantly watch my right hand, but it got better and better with time.

Practice songs, play scales and a lot of arpeggios (if you have problems skipping strings), come up with exercises and you'll be good. At first don't manipulate anything, just learn the traditional way of using a pick (otherwise you might develop bad habits that will hinder your progress, bad habits that will be a nightmare to eliminate). Once you feel confident, you can experiment and come up with your own technique that works best for you.

Stay strong man, I was just as hopeless as you're now.
Last edited by TBR1450 at Nov 4, 2013,