I'm using a Laney GH100TI and I absolutely love it, and am considering a pedal. I'd like to use it for mainly leads since there's more than enough gain for all my rhythm needs. I'd like to have something that makes pinch harmonics and hammer-ons/pull-offs loud. I can play them pretty well on a clean channel, but haven't really quite got them to the volume I can get with distortion. I'd also like it if it wasn't too bright since I already have to turn my tone knob down a bunch, and if it doesn't make quiet string noise really loud.
Boost, Od and Fuzz? Red Llama from Way Huge (technically not a fuzz but gets fuzzy on higher gain settings) or Fuzzhuger Algal Bloom which can be used as a fuzz, as an od and a ad a boost.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Oh, sorry, I meant a boost, overdrive, or fuzz, since I'm not really sure on the differences between those (and distortion pedals, too).
something sd1- or tubescreamer-based.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you're happy with the gain you have then more gain won't help much, except maybe make everything louder/more saturated. You'd be better off with a compressor, I use one for clean leads and for tapping licks (clean or distorted). levels the signal out nicely.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
Check Out THIS pedal!

dark forest black arts toneworks

It can work as a boost, as an overdrive or as a fuzz. It also has a bass and high EQ section so you can tame the brights and push the Low and the volume knob has a really nice range!
Quote by marianoarnaiz
Check Out THIS pedal!

dark forest black arts toneworks

It can work as a boost, as an overdrive or as a fuzz. It also has a bass and high EQ section so you can tame the brights and push the Low and the volume knob has a really nice range!

Sorry is the Black Forest! the Brand is still the same
The OCD by fulltone is fantastic. I can't say enough good things about this pedal. IMO it's best on a setting that makes it sounds somewhere between a crunchy pedal and a distortion pedal. It is also very, very responsive to dynamics even on higher gain setting.
ok.

a boost = pure gain increase, clean, no clipping and very little tone coloring. by gain think if it as the signal is getting STRONGER. this strong signal can be used to push an amp harder if you choose to.

OD = like a boost, but has a gain knob and a circuit for actually clipping the signal (creating "distortion" but softer form. think crunch).

distortion = more intense than an OD, the signal is completely distorted, IE - the clipping is severe. think the different between steve ray vaughn and "fill in the blank" hard rock music. breaking benjamin works. metallica. etc.

fuzz = the most severe clipping of the signal. the sound wave has gone from smith to just about entirely square. this gives it a muffy fuzzy sound. a great example that is coming to mind is Blur - Woo hoo. that is a heavy fuzz tone good god. generally heavy fuzz has the least note to note clarity for chords etc, which is why it probably isn't preferable for metal where you need to be heavy but TIGHT. precise.

these don't mean that a fuzz is "more metal" than distortion. it just means the sound wave is more messed up. generally for heavy metal music you have dropped tuning, a different EQ structure, LOTS of distortion, and a very high power amp with correctly voices speakers and cabs, the result is a HEAVY tone, like slipknot. that isn't fuzz. thats heavy **s distortion.

so which one you want is a personal thing. however, keep in mind that any form of clipping, distortion etc, compresses the signal. the compression, plus a more boosted signal, and the natural effect of how the human ear hears a "clipped" signal means that there is more sustain, and the compression makes all notes pop more, louder, easier to ring out.

this is why people say that their lead tone or pedal gives them a "singing tone" or something. generally pedals have a slight EQ change and boost the kids, making it stand out more.

what you described is the need for these characteristics. if that is the case, i would say at least an OD is ideal. probably not a clean boost.

i would suggest maybe even a compressor pedal, but a gain type pedal is probably better to get the pinch harmonics out and such. gain is great for that!
______

long story short - go to guitar center and try out some pedals man. ODs, distortions, and fuzz. try notes, pinch harmonics, hammer ons with each and see how they differ. you will quickly learn how the gain types react differently and are more suitable for different types of music.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by DeviousByNature
If you're happy with the gain you have then more gain won't help much, except maybe make everything louder/more saturated. You'd be better off with a compressor, I use one for clean leads and for tapping licks (clean or distorted). levels the signal out nicely.

an od used as a boost is absolutely what he wants, if you ask me. he said he was happy with his gain for rhythm but not leads.

Quote by ikey_

what you described is the need for these characteristics. if that is the case, i would say at least an OD is ideal. probably not a clean boost.

yeah he really wants an od most likely, because of the way ts- or sd1-style ods bump the mids, cut the bass, compress and boost. they do about 4 things at once, all of which help what you're after. there's a reason why so many people use them.

it doesn't need to be anything fancy, either. you can get ts- and sd1-type pedals for very little money. aside from anything else, just in case it doesn't do what you want, you don't want to spend too much.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?