Hello, im in the market for a new guitar, and have a couple options that I am considering (Schecter C-1's, Epiphone's 1984 reissue), and, Halo custom guitars seem to fall into my budget (around $700) perfectly, but, I have not seen that many reviews, only Ola Englund's, so I dont know if they are a quality company or not.

The guitar I am considering: http://www.haloguitars.com/store/MB-6-R-25.5-FRS-TOJ.html The Halo Guitars Custom Morbus 6 with Floyd Rose special and Duncan Distortions. They also have some nice hard tails within my budget, but that would take away the chance to install an Evertune bridge.

So, thoughts on Halo?
I recommend you google them and take a look at the reviews.....
Want to Buy:

UV7PWH
Last edited by Stealthtastic at Nov 4, 2013,
My understanding is you'd get better quality from a semi-customized Agile at that price.

Perhaps you could give us a refresher on what you're looking for in a guitar?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
My understanding is you'd get better quality from a semi-customized Agile at that price.

Perhaps you could give us a refresher on what you're looking for in a guitar?

Well, I was looking for a nice hardtail'd guitar with a budget of around $700 or so, but, I did alot of research into the Floyd, specifically the Floyd Rose Special and Original. From what ive seen, after you get a special set up properly, it should stay in tune fine. Also, I watched countless videos and read many guides on how to tune a Floyd, and it dosent seem that hard at all (To me). So, I then shifted into a floyd equipped guitar that would come with decent pickups and features, and that guitar seemed to fit the criteria perfectly. Duncan Distortions, set-neck, Floyd Special (Would most likely change to a 1000/orig, or an evertune later on), a nice finish, and just a good deal. I was considering the ESP LTD M-300FM, but, I would rather trust a notso common custom shop than a cheaper ESP made in China.
I would not order a Halo after all the bad reviews I have read about them. I like my money too much to throw it away on a POS, don't you?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Masoo2
I would rather trust a notso common custom shop than a cheaper ESP made in China.

I wouldn't! I see people all the time who get screwed by these "just a small upstart" companies, especially these ones like Halo that are basically the same Korean factory guitars that everyone else sells but with a better US-based marketing department. With an ESP you can walk into any Guitar Center in the US and try five. That's the best quality control money can buy.

Also, most Halo guitars are made in China. They're pretty quiet about it but they've only done a few runs of actual USA guitars. Here's what their website says:
Assembled and Set Up in the USA.
Components assembly (ex: bridges, pickups, potentiometers, switches, frets, etc.), set up and quality control is done right here in Cupertino, California.

That's not made in the US. That's made in China with some vaguely specified finishing work done in the US. I had to do some digging to find where their factory actually is because they don't like to talk about it; that's how they get people to think they've got some better pedigree than ESP when in reality their factories are probably right next to each other.
There are a number of small "we assemble stuff right here in the USA" companies to whom it seems important that they obscure the origin of what they assemble.

I'm an advertising photographer. I can make nearly anything look spectacularly good for a website. That doesn't mean that's what you're getting in the box.

On this one I'd vote no.
Quote by Masoo2
but, I would rather trust a notso common custom shop than a cheaper ESP made in China.

Spoken like a true idiot

Halo are made in China with some assembly in the USA (that is far from Made in the USA). Most of their reviews are less than good which raise a red flag right there

Agile is a good choice to get semi custom with decent quality
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You might want to look at Godin. Their stuff is MiC(anada).

The Redline series is a good possibility for a new guitar:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&browser=&fsrc=Godin+redline&src=Godin+redline

But a used xtSA, Freeway SA, or the discontinued Velocity would also be worth looking for.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Hello - this is Jeff Lee with Halo Custom Guitars.

If I could provide some factual information about my company...

- Halo is a small company headquartered in Cupertino, California
- Halo is no longer in its start-up phase
- Halo does not source from the same factory as any other guitar brand
- Halo owns and operates its own guitar workshop, or "factory", in China

Now for some opinion:

Masso2, if you like that particular Halo Morbus guitar with all the features it offers and you're OK with the price, I think you should go for it. We have a hassle free return policy and offer full refunds on the instrument as long as we receive it back in good condition.

That said, I don't think you can really go wrong with LTD, Agile or Godin, either.

What's most important is for you to choose the right guitar for you - the one that inspires you to play more guitar and make more music!

Jeff Lee
jeff@haloguitars.com
^ Nice post
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Classy!

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for stopping by. I couldn't find any explicit return policy on your website; it only says:
If for any reason you are dissatisfied with anything you have purchased from us, we want to hear about it. Tell us what the problem is and how we can fix it. Our policy is to make our customers happy.

Which is nice but does not actually describe a return policy. Other mail-order, semi-custom companies like Agile have an expressly stated "like it or return it, 30 days" policy on their website; perhaps you could add something similar to your site? It would go a long way towards instilling confidence in your products. Given some of the feedback online, one can see why people might be hesitant to buy one of your guitars without a guarantee that they could return it.

I am sure you've got a great customer service and returns department but sometimes you've got to spell this stuff out.
Hello - I'm happy to be here. This is a good guitar community.

The explicit shipping and return policy has its own dedicated page, which is accessible by clicking the link at the bottom of the main Halo website that reads, "Shipping and Return Policy".

To make it easier to find the Shipping and Return Policy page, I added a link to it within the FAQ page that you quoted. I believe that if you did not find the Shipping and Return Policy on the website, then many others had the same experience. So, thank you for bringing that to my attention.

jeff

Quote by Roc8995
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for stopping by. I couldn't find any explicit return policy on your website; it only says:
Which is nice but does not actually describe a return policy. Other mail-order, semi-custom companies like Agile have an expressly stated "like it or return it, 30 days" policy on their website; perhaps you could add something similar to your site? It would go a long way towards instilling confidence in your products. Given some of the feedback online, one can see why people might be hesitant to buy one of your guitars without a guarantee that they could return it.

I am sure you've got a great customer service and returns department but sometimes you've got to spell this stuff out.
Awesome, you really do have good customer service. Thumbs up.

Hey, as long as you're here, how does the pickup selection work? I see options for manfacturers but not models. Do you specify later in the ordering process or do you have specific models that you use when those are selected?

You might also think about making a manufacturer thread on here if you plan to stick around. We've had a few companies do it and it seems like a helpful resource for users and a good way to get to interact with a lot of potential customers directly. Lace Pickups has a fairly active one:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1605244
Currently, our website is "dumb" in that we just list the pickup manufacturers as you mentioned. The specific model is specified later in the "comments" section during checkout, or manually with a salesperson via phone/email.

However, we realize this is a dumb/inefficient way to do things. So, we are launching a fully interactive custom guitar ordering tool (Configurator) that allows users to choose from a vast array of custom options, then the Configurator generates a graphic representation of the guitar. Getting back to your questions about pickup selection, the Configurator's functionality includes a much smarter way of choosing pickups, which is by manufacturer, specific model, specific price, and specific position (bridge/middle/neck).

We are hoping to launch our Configurator in December of this year.

I'll look further into creating a manufacturer thread, thanks.
jeff
Robbgnarly
Oh, come on. I've got three Halo guitars and they're better than any fender I've ever owned. They have a rich tone, depending on the pickups you choose, they feel great when playing them, and they aren't too heavy like most commercial guitars. You can specialize what you want for the whole guitar. The headstock is arrow shaped like I specifically requested for my guitar.
Last edited by stringsofglass at Sep 14, 2017,
OTOH, this thread has been dead since 2013, sooooo...