I got an acoustic this year, and I'd like to learn how to play folk-style fingerpicking. I feel like a complete beginner, I've played metal for so many years and never branched out much, now I kind of just wanna chill out with all that.

Anyway, all you seasoned players out there know of any good songs I could start out with? Key word is start so that I don't discourage myself here Thanks in advance!
Try "Julia" with The Beatles. There are some good lessons on YouTube, and you'll learn an awesome picking pattern that can be used (and has been) on countless chord-progressions. Also, do yourself a favour and watch a lesson on the correct right-hand position, I didn't do that from the bat and it's still my biggest weakness when finger-picking. Good luck!
I started with "Turn the Page" by bob Segar. It's simple and the trick to finger picking is to get the picking down to a reflex. You shouldn't have to think about it.
"Julia" by The Beatles is an awesome one, and I'd add onto that with "Blackbird". I'm probably just partial to it because it was the first fingerpicking song I learned, I also think it's a bit easier than "Julia', though both present a decent challenge..."Blackbird" has a few parts where you need to stretch 5 frets, really gets you pinkie involved.
Damn, beat me to it... I was going to say Blackbird by The Beatles as well. One really easy part to work on is the very beginning of the intro to Nothing Else Matters by Metallica, its just the open strings of an Em chord.
Last edited by Witt1975 at Nov 4, 2013,
All of Nothing Else Matters is good for beginner fingerpickers.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by sroze478
"Julia" by The Beatles is an awesome one, and I'd add onto that with "Blackbird". I'm probably just partial to it because it was the first fingerpicking song I learned, I also think it's a bit easier than "Julia', though both present a decent challenge..."Blackbird" has a few parts where you need to stretch 5 frets, really gets you pinkie involved.

5 fret stretch for blackbird??? How are you playing it? That kind of stretch is not necessary to play Blackbird.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
5 fret stretch for blackbird??? How are you playing it? That kind of stretch is not necessary to play Blackbird.

I was about to ask the same thing... been playing Blackbird for years on acoustic gigs, and I just got very worried I might be playing it incredibly wrong... lol
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Depends on the arrangement for Blackbird, I would suggest building muscle memory through picking patterns (Travis would be a good place to start)

Nothing else matters is great for working on multiple finger memory though.

I would also suggest looking at Iron and Wine for folky stuff, Esp - Cinder and Smoke, fairly easy to learn with a great groove.

EDIT: You will get differing opinions on whether to anchor your picking hand's pinkie; do what feels natural. I.E Some songs I do it, others I can't
Last edited by Valience at Nov 7, 2013,
Quote by 20Tigers

You obviously haven't seen the quality tabs on UG.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud