Can't decide between the 2

Which do you prefer and which is better value for money?

Epiphone £369
Gibson £499
Well which do you prefer?
Have you looked used? Both of those guitars loose a lot of value if they are bought new. I can buy a used Epi LP standard for $200-$250 all day or I can get a Gibson SGJ/faded special (they are basically the same guitar with hardware color changes) For $350+
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
These are different guitars. From my own experience, the overall quality of these is very close, but the hardware and the electronics on the Gibson are slightly better.
I would personally choose an SGJ, because Gibsons have a better resale value and I just can't stand the weight of a Les Paul.
Quote by britishlaw
Can't decide between the 2

Which do you prefer and which is better value for money?

Epiphone £369
Gibson £499

this one....

I would definitely avoid the "J" series Gibsons -- no one has figured out why there's a "J" there, but the options others have advanced have included Jacked, Junque and Joke.

The J series Gibsons are not well-made guitars (apologies to those who own them already), and they will definitely not retain resale value better than the Epi you're looking at. If you get committed to one, watch for holiday and inventory clearance deals on them over the next month and a half. That said, you might even consider going up scale on the Epi.