Just saw review of the Gibson Les Paul Standard 2012 and noticed that it has a coil split function build in the knobs. Is that only a feature in the new Standard models or do older Standards also have it? What about the other models like Traditional and Studio lines?
It's definitely new, but I know for a fact that the traditionals do have it. (Or at least some of them anyway. I know the Traditional Pro II does.)
Just don't choose a guitar based on electronic configurations like that, though.
You can easily add that feature to any guitar you wish, as long as the pickups can be split (which pretty much any pickup by DiMarzio, SD etc can be).
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
I'm not on the lookout to buy right now, but eventually I'll switch my fake Les Paul for a real one and I thought that it could be an interesting feature to have. But it's nice if it's easy to change it on any Gibson Les Paul though. Can they do it in any guitar workshop or is it more a do-it-yourself-thing?
Any shop could do it for you, or you could do it yourself if you know how to read wiring diagrams and solder.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Okay, thanks! That reminds me. I have an '79 Ibanez Artist AR-200 with one dedicated tri-switch for coil-splitting. It turns out that it can only split the neck-pickup. Would it be possible to connect the switch to the bridge-pickup also, so the switch could split both pickups simultaneously.
Quote by Xerophthalmia
Okay, thanks! That reminds me. I have an '79 Ibanez Artist AR-200 with one dedicated tri-switch for coil-splitting. It turns out that it can only split the neck-pickup. Would it be possible to connect the switch to the bridge-pickup also, so the switch could split both pickups simultaneously.

Yup.
Quote by dspellman
Yup.

Okay. But in the case of the Gibson, I would still need to buy the push/pull knobs for a non-splitting guitar, right? :-)