Guides to learning how to sort out the EQ of an amplifier?

I've been playing around with the sounds of mine for a while, to no avail.

Something which properly helps in learning what each knob does so I can find the sounds I'm looking for?

To be honest, I'm also having trouble setting my delay exactly how I want it, but for the moment it's not that important.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
The best EQ settings depends on your gear and the sound you're looking for.

GG&A is going to help you way more than the pit ever will.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The best EQ settings depends on your gear and the sound you're looking for.

GG&A is going to help you way more than the pit ever will.

+1

do that

And also just spend a few days playing with it, The best way to learn is playing around with it and having fun I reckon
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
moved to GG&A
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Start with all your EQ knobs at 12 o'clock. Then move each one up and down, taking notice of how it affects the sound. Now return them all to 12 o'clock and adjust them. Best way on most amps is mids then bass then treble. Dial it in to where it sounds best to your ear at each stage one by one in that order.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
This is more of a trick for finding tone on an amp for recording but it should work for you.

Turn the gain all the way up on your amp with a guitar plugged in so you can hear the amp hiss.
turn all the EQ dials down so the hiss is barely audible.
start turning the dials i.e. bass up to the point where you feel theres enough of that frequency range in the hiss.
Once you feel the hiss sounds like it "should" turn the gain down to where you would normally have it and try playing some riffs to see if it sounds good to you.

If you feel it needs more bite try adding more treble, if it needs more body add some mids and if it needs more oomph try the bass.

Hope that helps man, it could be junk for you but just keep trying you'll get it eventually.
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

LEAVE THE PASTRIES ALONE!!!
Quote by Cathbard
Start with all your EQ knobs at 12 o'clock. Then move each one up and down, taking notice of how it affects the sound. Now return them all to 12 o'clock and adjust them. Best way on most amps is mids then bass then treble. Dial it in to where it sounds best to your ear at each stage one by one in that order.

+1

if it's too bright, turn down the treble. if it's not bright enough, turn the treble up.

if it's too bassy (or not tight enough/too muddy on the bass) turn down the bass. if it's too "light" on the bass, turn the bass up.

if it's too "honky", turn the mids down. If it's too "hollow-sounding" ("scooped"), turn the mids up.

That's a bit of an oversimplification, as EQ knobs are often interactive, but as a basic guide, hopefully it helps a little.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Interaction is why I said to EQ it in that particular order. That's why it's easier to do it in that order. You don't have to backstep after adjusting the next knob. Well, not as much anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah that's what i figured
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?