Hello all. I'm learning to sweep pick and I'm looking for advice on how I would play:

In the lessons I've seen the examples always tend to have two notes on the string where you change direction so it's obvious how it should be played. In this there are times when I need to change direction but it's not obvious. I just don't know whether I should skip my pick over the last string on a down sweep and play it as part of the following upward sweep, or if I should play it as part of the initial sweep.

I'd really appreciate someone listing the down/up strokes out for me and perhaps a little insight into the reasoning.

Edit: BTW this is the beginning section from Peripherys "Erised" - 2nd Solo, by John Petrucci.
Last edited by ciwolsey at Nov 4, 2013,
Frankly, it doesn't matter. But choose one method and stick with it.

For what it's worth, since it's Petrucci, chances are it's all alternate picked anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've seen a lot of people playing it on youtube and it looks like it's sweep picked. When their hand is barely moving and with the quality of youtube it's often hard to tell.

I can't seem to link the videos though.
Quote by ciwolsey
I've seen a lot of people playing it on youtube and it looks like it's sweep picked. When their hand is barely moving and with the quality of youtube it's often hard to tell.

I can't seem to link the videos though.

You can't link because you don't have enough posts yet.

People on youtube are sweeping it but that doesn't mean that's how Petrucci played it, it's definitely at a speed where I reckon he would have alternate picked it. That doesn't mean you should but he probably did.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The most efficient way would probably be to stick with whatever came before. So on the first marked note, play it as an upstroke and then switch when you go the other direction, and on the second note use a downstroke and then switch, and on the last note play an upstroke and alternate pick the last two notes.
Isolation is a gift. All the others are a test of your endurance.
-17D-13U------------------------------------------
-----------15U-----------15U----------------------
---------------14U---14D---14U------------------
-------------------15D-----------15U--------------
---------------------------------------17U-12P------
-------------------------------------------------15U--

P here stands for pulloff, but you can also alternate pick the last two notes, 12 down, 15 up.

This is how I would play it, but feel free to experiment.
Last edited by TBR1450 at Nov 4, 2013,
-D17-P-13-------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------U15--------------------D15------------------------------------
--------------------U14-------D14---------U14-----------------------------
--------------------------U15----------------------U15----------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------U17-P-12---------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------U15--

That's what I'd probably do. I'm lazy and use the least effort. U = upstroke (away from floor/from high-pitched strings to low), D = downstroke (towards floor/from low-pitched strings to high), P = pulloff.

I like dream theater but have never really analysed petrucci's playing that much. if zaphod says he'd alternate pick it, he's probably right.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 4, 2013,
Thanks all for taking the time, really appreciate it. I will go TBR suggestion because, why not?