So, lately I've been listening to a lot of Alexisonfire, Underoath and Dance Gavin Dance, and I've been trying to learn their songs on guitar. Right now I have really heavy strings (I was playing a bunch of stuff in drop A), and I find it's a bit tough to play songs by the bands I listed, seeing as most of their songs are in the drop D and drop C# range. What gauge of strings would you recommend for those tunings? Also, a lot of their chords/solos are played on higher strings.
That depends on your preferance, some manufacturers make special sets for drop D tunings, where the lowest string is slightly thicker. For drop D you should be fine with most string gauges IMO
Try playing with your current string gauge, if it rattles, buy the next thicker one.
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
9s may be too light if you're used to really heavy drop A tunings. My standard set is the good old 10-46 gauge set. Should be fine for Drop D. One step down doesn't require special strings. You may need to re-intonate the strings if it's a guitar you've been doing drop A with.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Just get a light top, heavy bottom set that matches whatever you normally use for E.
I'd say 10s for drop D, definitely.

Although you could use a capo and play the songs higher up the fretboard. (I do that for drop D songs on my guitar that is in Drop C)
RIP Tom Searle.