On both my guitars whenever I bend a string behind the nut it always leaves the string sharp. I've tried cleaning the nut and rubbing graphite on the strings/in the nut but the strings always return sharp. I don't know what the problem is

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do to sort this?
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by J_W
Why would you do that anyway?

I agree. Is this some new technique I haven't heard of? There really isn't a reason to do this.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by J_W

bends on open notes or harmonics

anyway back to op

you can lubricate your nut with some nut sauce( ) or just soem graphite rub some pencil lead on the slots it shold help with that i try to keep my nut lubricated because it helps with tuning stability in general
**** I thought this was my secret technique. I agree with ^ lubricate the nut
Quote by ryanbwags
I agree. Is this some new technique I haven't heard of? There really isn't a reason to do this.

it is often used in country music, ex. you hit a harmonic on your Gstr on the 12th and bend it up a semitone behind the nut to make your major 3rd.
edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdyTw43NZCI heres a vid for an example.
Last edited by Gallant69 at Nov 4, 2013,
Quote by supersac
bends on open notes or harmonics

I guess that makes sense on hardtail guitars. I wouldn't know about that though, I use a trems.
Quote by J_W

New guitarists like to play the intro to Iron Man, lol. Also as an alternative to trems, I guess.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
I thought this was a fairly common technique to use . I get too scared I'll break the string to do this live.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
If you need to do this on a regular basis swap your nuts out for graphtech nuts.
Common thing that players used to do, but you can't trust it to go back in tune. It's pretty common for that string to stay sharp. Try some lube in the string slot, or even some graphite pencil lead.

In general, a little vibrato won't hurt, but if you're actually bending strings like that, you're sliding that string a lot more through the slot than bending on the neck will. If you're not using locking tuners, that string winding is going to get tighter much close to the wrap, as opposed to that added tension being distributed over a longer length of the string if you were to bend it around the 5th fret, for example.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Get some locking tuners, maybe a roller nut that can handle the technique of bending behind the nut or you can get some chapstick / lip balm, rub the graphite from a pencil, mix the two until the two are mixed well.
I prefer to bend between the tail piece and the bridge .... it sounds so cool when you do power chords.
Quote by jpnyc
If you need to do this on a regular basis swap your nuts out for graphtech nuts.

You want me to do WHAT?