Page 1 of 3
"just make music for the radio"

"ugh, i don't like that shit they play on the radio"

I'm constantly hearing about how awful the radio is, and it gets on my tits. In the scenes I listen to, the radio is still an important thing for underground scenes and every week producers and fans alike tune in to hear the latest unreleased tunes and brag about which ones they've already got or know.

I'm sure some of you out there also have radio shows you love and listen to like a girl in the 80's taping the top 40. Try and keep it music, but if not go ahead. Leave names, stations and times in your post!

The big Dubstep radio show is actually about to go on Rinse in half an hour, Minimal Mondays pon ya bumbaclart.

Youngsta - Rinse FM - Mondays 9pm

what you saying?
All the stations here are shit

EDIT: oh, internet radio. I don't care, though I guess there is most likely some good stuff.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Nov 4, 2013,
The radio can be awful when you're working with other people and the general consensus want to listen to Heart FM. If I get a chance I'll listen to Radio 6 as it's fairly eclectic and often makes me listen to stuff I wouldn't of considered listening to before. Never really listened to Internet radio though as I've got a heard drive full of music.
Quote by WCPhils
All the stations here are shit

EDIT: oh, internet radio. I don't care, though I guess there is most likely some good stuff.

Rinse isn't internet radio, it's in London but streams worldwide
Youngsta's starting now, i am gassed
Quote by captainsnazz
I don't get why anyone would ever listen to radio when there's spotify, and soundcloud and bandcamp etc for shit that isn't on spotify.

Dubplates, unreleased tunes, MC's, competitions, personalities, shoutouts, interaction, to listen to an actual live mix...
I miss Power 105.1. I've been trying to figure out how to get around it being blocked here but can't.
Quote by willT08
Dubplates, unreleased tunes, MC's, competitions, personalities, shoutouts, interaction, to listen to an actual live mix...

Heard of YouTube?

Radio is garbage and always has been. It is now also extremely dated and cliché. Also, all presenters are douche bags with horrific voices.

I don't understand how people can tolerate, let alone advocate, radio. With digital music devices you can listen to whatever you want, whenever you want. With the likes of YouTube, Grooveshark and all that, you can easily find new bands.

I personally prefer YouTube, EpicMusicNetwork, NexusMusic, the list goes on. I've discovered so much through youtube - far more than radio or TV has ever given me.

The internet owns radio because you can change to whatever you like whenever. Radio is a constrictive medium in so much that it always has to be a select list, i'll take the freedom of internet any day.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by willT08
Dubplates

lol sorry what year is this
next you'll be telling me you want to use physical instruments
Quote by willT08
unreleased tunes

soundcloud
Quote by willT08
MC's,

okay maybe
Quote by willT08
competitions, personalities, shoutouts, interaction

all fluff
Quote by willT08
to listen to an actual live mix...

okay maybe but mostly meh
Quote by Anthony1991
Heard of YouTube?
Yeah, it's not live is it. Can't request a tune on a Youtube mix. Can't beg the DJ for a wheelup with ya 5's in the chatroom. Don't hear dubplates on Youtube. Can't ask for the ID of a track you don't know but love the first time you hear it on Youtube. Can't be part of a scene by listening to Youtube.

Radio is garbage and always has been. It is now also extremely dated and cliché. Also, all presenters are douche bags with horrific voices.
None of this is true in my experience.

I don't understand how people can tolerate, let alone advocate, radio. With digital music devices you can listen to whatever you want, whenever you want.
I don't have all of the unreleased tunes I want to listen to. Youngsta does, and he plays them for me in a sick mix every Wednesday. HOW DARE I ADVOCATE THIS

Okay, I think I've got what the problem is. Just in every other way, RIM (real instrument music) is dead. Can't even put on a good radio show it's so bad lol
The Ricky Gervais Show on XFM. It's all I listen to in the car now and the episodes have even had all the music edited out. I have a thing for talkback radio, especially if Karl Pilkington is involved.
Quote by captainsnazz
lol sorry what year is this
next you'll be telling me you want to use physical instruments

Dubplates out the ass on the shows I listen to, that's half the point of them. And when I say unreleased, I'm talking the producer has it and some DJs have it and it's not anywhere else. Maybe it's just because the scenes I'm in are still proper Dub influenced scenes where we don't put everything we ever make on Soundcloud
Quote by Anthony1991
Heard of YouTube?

I don't understand how people can tolerate, let alone advocate, radio. With digital music devices you can listen to whatever you want, whenever you want. With the likes of YouTube, Grooveshark and all that, you can easily find new bands.

I personally prefer YouTube, EpicMusicNetwork, NexusMusic, the list goes on. I've discovered so much through youtube - far more than radio or TV has ever given me.

The internet owns radio because you can change to whatever you like whenever. Radio is a constrictive medium in so much that it always has to be a select list, i'll take the freedom of internet any day.

This. All the stations in my state are owned by Clearchannel. And you just have to listen to the sound in the DJ's voices to know that they don't go to a record store. It's all prerecored. They just press a button,back in the good old days, DJ's would actually play the music they liked.
Quote by Axelfox
This. All the stations in my state are owned by Clearchannel. And you just have to listen to the sound in the DJ's voices to know that they don't go to a record store. It's all prerecored. They just press a button,back in the good old days, DJ's would actually play the music they liked.

Isn't live anymore? I don't know what radio you've been listening to.

EDIT: Having said that, I only really listen to the radio if I'm also doing something else like driving, or finishing an assignment. It isn't like a TV show for me where I'd take time out of my day to watch it. Radio is more of an accompanying wine.
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Nov 4, 2013,
Quote by 'Leviathan'
The Ricky Gervais Show on XFM. It's all I listen to in the car now and the episodes have even had all the music edited out. I have a thing for talkback radio, especially if Karl Pilkington is involved.

Okay yeah I fully support radio after this post
Quote by willT08
Yeah, it's not live is it. Can't request a tune on a Youtube mix. Can't beg the DJ for a wheelup with ya 5's in the chatroom. Don't hear dubplates on Youtube. Can't ask for the ID of a track you don't know but love the first time you hear it on Youtube. Can't be part of a scene by listening to Youtube.

None of this is true in my experience.

I don't have all of the unreleased tunes I want to listen to. Youngsta does, and he plays them for me in a sick mix every Wednesday. HOW DARE I ADVOCATE THIS

Okay, I think I've got what the problem is. Just in every other way, RIM (real instrument music) is dead. Can't even put on a good radio show it's so bad lol

It can be live.

You can request a tune on a YT mix, go look for Nexus's mixes. Yeah it's not as straight forward and he'd probably have the heard the song long before you have, doesn't mean you can't request. I've never understood music requests anyway.

I've never been more convinced that you're white

There's no such thing as RIM since the concept of 'real' gives physical instruments a higher standing. We all know it's the composer that makes the music, not the physical/artificial instrument. To be honest I think some of the more enlightened guitar solos are currently in electronic music, some of the work Justice has done is outstanding.

You're also fighting a losing battle here. Radio was fine during the days of a tape cassette and FM, because there was no alternative. So whatever the radio gave you was all that you knew. Radio is just another ancient medium that didn't adapt to the new times and has since fallen into despair.

I can't believe you would advocate constriction over unlimited freedom. I honestly think some people are just predisposed to hold onto things that stopped being relevant long ago because it somehow makes them feel like the world was better before now or something.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
It can be live.

You can request a tune on a YT mix, go look for Nexus's mixes.
If it is live, might as well have been radio...and ah sweet, so I can go load up a nexus mix and when I think "Oh yeah a Dub Phizix tune would go sick here" it'll tell the internet and retroactively change the mix?
I've never understood music requests anyway.
To feel part of the show

I've never been more convinced that you're white

*boring bit I didn't really get*
I am...

You're also fighting a losing battle here. Radio was fine during the days of a tape cassette and FM, because there was no alternative. So whatever the radio gave you was all that you knew
Except nowadays, as they always have, DJ's have the unreleased tunes from the artists I want to hear and play them before anyone else can...

I can't believe you would advocate constriction over unlimited freedom.
I'm advocating listening to and getting involved during radio shows. Not musical constriction...
Quote by willT08
Rinse isn't internet radio, it's in London but streams worldwide
Youngsta's starting now, i am gassed

Oh, that's cool then. I don't really listen to any of the stuff you were listing, but that's pretty cool if that's what you're into. Honestly seems easier than manually going through dozens of different sites in search of news stuff.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
Oh, that's cool then. I don't really listen to any of the stuff you were listing, but that's pretty cool if that's what you're into. Honestly seems easier than manually going through dozens of different sites in search of news stuff.

Yeah for sure.

Like, if I wanna hear the next release on the Metalheadz label, obviously the place I'm gonna get to hear that the earliest is on their Rinse show. Say it's coming out in January, it won't be on Soundcloud until maybe 2 weeks before at most. It'll be getting battered on radio from now.

Like maybe if you don't have specific labels, DJs and artists you actually follow radio might seem shit. But it's because you aren't actually part of any scene. Radio's for people involved in music, not just people who listen to it.
Quote by 'Leviathan'

You're an idiot.

Play a record.

The last radio show that I listened to every week in full was Bruce Dickinson on Fridays on BBC Radio 6. He played a great mix of popular and underground music as well as having a vast knowledge of the genres and he's an all around very intellectual guy. He also had some great guests on. I found a fair amount of new music through that show and I was really annoyed that his show got cancelled to make way for more mainstream stuff which is why I liked Radio 6 in the first place. The presenters were more down to earth and were allowed to play whatever they wanted. Since then, I can't stand many of the presenters. A lot of them are pretentious and irritating. Someone at work had put on XFM or something and some dosey woman was wanting people phoning in debating whether women should be allowed to be sent to jail if committed crimes. I don't even know why she was doing it, she just said it out of the blue.

The only one I can listen to now is Absolute FM. It plays at work most of the time and they play mainstream indie to some classic rock but a lot of it is well known bands. I much prefer YouTube for finding new music. I was watching a video on Napalm Records channel the other day and spent half an hour just clicking on all these bands I hadn't heard of. Found a fair amount of stuff that I liked.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by willT08
If it is live, might as well have been radio...and ah sweet, so I can go load up a nexus mix and when I think "Oh yeah a Dub Phizix tune would go sick here" it'll tell the internet and retroactively change the mix?To feel part of the show

I am...

Except nowadays, as they always have, DJ's have the unreleased tunes from the artists I want to hear and play them before anyone else can...

I'm advocating listening to and getting involved during radio shows. Not musical constriction...

To feel part of the show? I kind of understand that, but I rank it among the same as 'olol tweet into us and we might respond'. In short, meaningless.

It's abundantly clear you are I bet you've got custom shaved side burns as well, kind of like a modern Craig David.

Except the artist themselves? DJ's don't hold the cards and they never have. Unless you're talking about something super independent like a net radio show. If the artist is worthwhile they'll be on bandcamp, youtube, tumblr, everywhere. Even ****ing facebook. They'll have their latest tunes and even mixes you won't even hear elsewhere.

Just find a real community where participation is real. Radio and being part of the 'scene' is remote at best. Radio isn't an interactive medium, suggesting a song isn't participation in a real manner. Discussing, debating and exchanging ideas is participation, which, outside of the real world, is only achievable in forums like this. Scenes are relic of the 90s and early 00's, you have communities now. That's how you become part of the something, not by listening once a week to random guy wank over his self-selected music.

I've also been meaning to post ragely at you for a while now, so
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez
You're an idiot.

Play a record.

"Steve, look at his little face. Look at that round, bald mank head of his. He's so proud of that one, look at his face! *trademark Ricky laugh*"

It's a fix I need every day now.
Quote by Anthony1991
To feel part of the show? I kind of understand that, but I rank it among the same as 'olol tweet into us and we might respond'. In short, meaningless.
Bruv, you ever heard the words "large up Ant, full UK crew inna dis, this one you"? Feels good man, then you go to a night and meet the MC who was on and he gives you a shout every show and it's bless

Except the artist themselves? DJ's don't hold the cards and they never have. Unless you're talking about something super independent like a net radio show. If the artist is worthwhile they'll be on bandcamp, youtube, tumblr, everywhere. Even ****ing facebook. They'll have their latest tunes and even mixes you won't even hear elsewhere.

That's not how it works in the scenes I listen to. No label is signing any tune you've already put on Soundcloud or anywhere else, the tune's dead from a commercial point then. So you don't do it unless it's a tune you had no intention of getting signed anyway.

So you get the biggest DJ's you can to play the tune, then send it round to labels and they sign it. And the DJs want the big dubs to play, because if you go on and play all old tunes everyone knows then you've put on a shit set. Full Jamaica dub scene vibes inna dis

Just find a real community where participation is real
Yeah. They congregate on Rinse on Mondays at 9pm, and Tuesday nights for Joe Nice. Chat to people in the chatroom whilst the show's on. Get a collab going, share tunes, hear some unreleased dubs and then all meet back next week.
Scenes are relic of the 90s and early 00's
Nonsense

I've also been meaning to post ragely at you for a while now, so

Hardly a rage, need to step up your game
So you're anti-guitar because it's (in your opinion) dead and outdated as far as technology goes, but you advocate radio?
Quote by Malchius
So you're anti-guitar because it's (in your opinion) dead and outdated as far as technology goes, but you advocate radio?

I'm anti real instruments because they hold the world back musically

Liking a bit of the ol' pirate radio style show doesn't stop anyone from making what they want
Quote by willT08

Liking a bit of the ol' pirate radio style show doesn't stop anyone from making what they want

i have a legit question

are you actually as anti real Instrument as you say you are? not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, that's not the point of the question. it seems like sometimes you post the stuff you do the way you do to rile up some people on the forum (which, low and behold, it works).

but then again, you could actually be this anti instrument and all the backlash from some users could be accidental.
Quote by willT08

Ok, what's a fake instrument?

Like it not, radio is on it's way out. Radios are put on as background noise most of the time, not as intense listening like it used to be.
Quote by soundgarden1986
i have a legit question

are you actually as anti real Instrument as you say you are?

I haven't put on a song with a physical melodic instrument in it myself in the last year
Radios are put on as background noise most of the time, not as intense listening like it used to be.
that's why it's so cool that radio stations can stream worldwide at the same time as broadcasting
You've got a good point, TS. "Radio Music" only exists on the stations for it. Public Radio and University stations play lots of really good stuff.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by willT08
Bruv, you ever heard the words "large up Ant, full UK crew inna dis, this one you"? Feels good man, then you go to a night and meet the MC who was on and he gives you a shout every show and it's bless

That's not how it works in the scenes I listen to. No label is signing any tune you've already put on Soundcloud or anywhere else, the tune's dead from a commercial point then. So you don't do it unless it's a tune you had no intention of getting signed anyway.

So you get the biggest DJ's you can to play the tune, then send it round to labels and they sign it. And the DJs want the big dubs to play, because if you go on and play all old tunes everyone knows then you've put on a shit set. Full Jamaica dub scene vibes inna dis

Yeah. They congregate on Rinse on Mondays at 9pm, and Tuesday nights for Joe Nice. Chat to people in the chatroom whilst the show's on. Get a collab going, share tunes, hear some unreleased dubs and then all meet back next week.Nonsense

Hardly a rage, need to step up your game

I'm telling you this, as an adult:

Save this response that you decided to give me. Write it down, put it in the post, and have it sent back to you two years from now.

You clearly have eight grader syndrome and will look back at this post, this thread, and current lifestyle, with embarrassment. Unless you cling to the moronic ways so strongly that your intelligence doesn't actually develop, that is.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
I don't think you know anything about Dubplate culture, but that's how some of the best scenes in the world have been running for decades lol
Quote by 'Leviathan'
Isn't live anymore? I don't know what radio you've been listening to.

He's right, most ClearChannel stations are syndicated shows that have been voicetracked and then pumped out via satellite. ClearChannel sucks. They're one of the reasons most people feel that radio has declined.

I work in radio, I've voicetracked before when I needed to, but at my new job I'm live 100% of the time. Of course, doing a morning show requires you to be live in many cases.

Did I mention ClearChannel licks scrotes?
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
The only place I use the radio is in the car, my car cannot get channels that play rock/metal etc. Therefore, my limited range of radio makes it crap. I used to listen to some channels on live365 & pandora though.
Page 1 of 3