I recently learned that you should be stretching your fingers to help you hit those large chords/notes. I was wondering when exactly should you be doing these finger/hand/forearm stretches? Like before you play, after you play, etc. Also, how often?
To be honest I've never stretched before playing and I don't have an issue with awkward chords or wide stretches but then I often get the impression that this puts me in a minority.

Really the best time is before you play, if you're doing it after you play then what's the point?

As for how often... as often as you think you need. Some people swear by stretching every time they play and others don't do it at all. Try it out a few times and see how you feel about it; you might not feel like it helps at all.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
What Zaphod said, you'll have to try for yourself. I am one of those who almost always stretch before and after i practice/perform. Some of my friends do it just before, some just after, some not at all. Whatever works for you.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
don't athletes stretch etc. to warm down after exercising? so maybe after playing wouldn't hurt, too.

My usual caveats apply here- do as i say, not as i do.

Number of times I've warmed up (muscles, rather than exercises) before or after playing in my entire guitar-playing career: 0

Heck I've only started doing drills recently before playing
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
don't athletes stretch etc. to warm down after exercising? so maybe after playing wouldn't hurt, too.

http://life.nationalpost.com/2013/04/05/stretching-before-workouts-may-weaken-muscles-impair-athletic-performance-studies/

Specific kinds of stretches help, others will probably weaken performance.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yea, warm up before but stretch after for exercising. i'm guessing it's good to do the same for guitar playing.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

haha awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, before and after can't hurt. I've developed an addiction to these (link below). Stretching can be beneficial to any body part, it increases circulation and can even strengthen muscles. If you're interested I've these found extremely useful! Great for heavy practicing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOR9KnUCpSI&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL59462D101A5DC14F
Last edited by ZebraFetus at Nov 9, 2013,
I stretch my fingers literally every time I'm not using my hands for anything else, even if I'm nowhere near a guitar and won't be for several hours. I started doing it mostly as an anti-nail biting thing (and it definitely helps), but I've found that it helps my guitar playing a lot as well.
Honestly, you probably could as often as you felt needed. I don't see how it could be a bad thing really.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
dont strech Cold....warm up your fingers with basic scale runs or using one of these
gripmater link

stretch inbetween songs and after.

its just like working out....do it wrong and you´ll damage your hands.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy