Hello everyone, can someone help me with these three amps?
- Randall RG8040
- Line 6 Spider IV 75
- Marshall MG101CFX
I think all three are with transistors and around the same price.
I need to play only in the rehearsal room with my band, music is from ac / dc to metallica.
Before I had a Marshall jcm 900 100 W, very powerful, too much for the rehearsal room, but unfortunately is broken. However, similar amps are too expensive.
Well, to be honest the MG and the Spider are terrible amps, by all means avoid them!
I'm not familiar with the Randall, but i really think you could do better.
To really help you we need some more infos:
Where do you live?
Whats your budget?
Do you mind buying used?

But from what i can gather from your post a used Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, Ultra or XXX should be right up your alley, and all of them can be found on the guitarcenter used section for under 300 $.
Tbh Spider's and MG's are the two amps I'd say you should stay the hell away from. I played a Spider IV once and it felt like a toy. While I've never played an MG myself I've heard nothing but bad things about it tbh. So out of those three amps I'd go with the Randall.
So I live in Switzerland, my budget is around 450$, but I'll a new amp.
I had a Spider IV 75. I will say I liked it for about the first year. After that, I started to hear little things that I didn't like. The distortion seemed muddy and the effects started to sound fake, if that makes any sense. I guess the "new" wore off and I started to really hear it. I bought my Egnator and proceeded to sell of the Spider.
Try to find a Vypyr like ~Luke~ said. Or the Randall should be Ok. Is the Randall a modeler?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Between these three, the Randall for sure.

Would you consider another amp though?
With that kind of money you could get a better amp indeed -
Peavey vypyr tube 60, Marshall DSL401/40c (not sure which one is best, though one is), Jet City JCA2212, Egnater rebel...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The Randall 8040 is transistor.
Is the Peavey Vypyr 75 good? 75 watt for rehearsal is ok? And the sound?
Just how broken is the Marshall?
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
^+1 get the Marshall fixed
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ive always heard people say to stay clear of L6 Spiders and Marshall MGs. I think they are more geared to beginners going into intermediate playing levels. The Spiders have lots of effects and stuff which is nice but nothing of great quality. Im not sure what you have to spend but maybe check out a Peavey 6505+ 112. Ive seen the stacks go for around 700-800 on my areas craigslist. But a 6505 112 would be enough for studio plus they sound really good imo. All tube and great for pretty much any kind of hard rock/Metal.

I got mine for 500.00 I think? But, I bought it new off ZZsounds and did the 4 month payment plan. Still, its a great amp for the price and worth looking into.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Last edited by Fallenoath at Nov 5, 2013,
If you want a solid state amp, go for something made by Tech 21 (which means you would have to order it online). They're completely analog and sound much better than any digital modeling amps.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
If you can hear the amp over the drums, its loud enough.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by Shulak
So I live in Switzerland, my budget is around 450$, but I'll a new amp.

Well, I'm in Switzerland too, if you buy new your best option will be a Jet City, they are really cheap on Thomann.
But i would still advise you to go used, there are currently some really good deals on Ricardo:
Peavey 6505+ for 400 CHF: http://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/musik-und-musikinstrumente/gitarren-und-zubehoer/zubehoer/verstaerker/fuer-elektrische-gitarren/peavey-6505-combo/v/an718330072/
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 for 300 CHF: http://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/musik-und-musikinstrumente/gitarren-und-zubehoer/zubehoer/verstaerker/fuer-elektrische-gitarren/peavey-120-watt-roehrenverstaerker/v/an722221720/

and what is actually wrong with your jcm 900? Could be quite cheap to fix it.... or if you want to get rid of it I may be interested