Anybody have any experience of programming audio manipulation (e.g. a DAW plugin) on wav files or equivalent?

I have a few applications I want to implement and could use a little help with deconstructing the format.

I've found useful stuff on the web about the wav file specs (e.g. header bytes, etc.) but nothing about the raw data. It's the raw data that's the interesting bit, and I would like to learn more about it.

As far as I understand it, the data is a series of amplitudes which, when played back at the original sample rate, will recreate the sound.

I'm particularly interested in combining two wav files: mixing them so that at any frequency only the louder of the two files is sounding in the resultant wav file. Is there any way of doing this without going into Fourier analysis?
Quote by Jehannum

I'm particularly interested in combining two wav files: mixing them so that at any frequency only the louder of the two files is sounding in the resultant wav file. Is there any way of doing this without going into Fourier analysis?

Answer there is pretty much a no. You will need to look at the frequency domain as far as I can tell.

The .wav data itself is literally as you said, the amplitude per sample. I think it's two's compliment binary. The bit depth is variable, normally 16bit(CDs) or 24bit(most pre-mastered audio).
"mixing them so that at any frequency only the louder of the two files is sounding in the resultant wav file"
You will always hear the effects of both.